1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Justice League

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

Grant Gustin's Flash tries to have fun. Snyderverse doesn't. It's not much more complicated than that.

2. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Did you watch the latest trailer for the Justice League?

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Plus, like, half of Metropolis (also Smallville but really who cares).

It's a different re-imagining of the DC universe. I for one don't mind seeing where it goes.

Also, much as like the show Flash, Gustin never really struck me as a good fit for the role.

4. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I prefer Snyders work tbh. I prefer movies that are actually slightly gritty/realistic rather than the slapstick comedy most Marvel movies are. But thats just me.

Gustin is an ok actor, but not much more than that.

5. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

Yeah, and while it's nice that there's some humor, there's still a huge gap between the constant dark lighting of Snyderverse and the camp of Gustin's Flash. Although there was actually some sunlight in the Wonder Woman trailer so hey, that's something.

6. 9ine

9ine Squib

High Score:
    I've not managed to catch Suicide Squad yet but I've got to say in the DC cinematic universe I'm most looking forward to a stand alone Batfleck film.

I felt he was one of the most redeemable features of BVS, and hes proven in Gone Girl and Argo he's a decent director. I really hope they let him have some freedom with it.

7. atlas_hugged

atlas_hugged Fourth Year

High Score:
    Gritty, and realistic (the two are not interchangeable) are both fine. The problem with Snyder films (generally) is they are gritty and boring, with realism thrown out the window. BvS is no exception.

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So the new trailer is out and I have to say, it looks genuinely good. It served enough to hype me up and raise my expectations just a bit.

Of course, there's always the possibility that all the good things are stuffed on the trailer and the rest of the film is a nonsensical borefest, but hopefully not.

9. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Considering that the majority of the trailer is battle scenes, I'm guessing its 'all the best parts' which is probably the last thirty minutes of the movie.

What I'm seeing at this point is:

Alien (Apokolips) invasion, with Earth being defended by a group of superheroes brought together for the first time. I know I've heard of this plot from somewhere before... ;)

I know it's inevitable to see Avengers comparisons considering the nature of the characters and material, but wouldn't you'd think there would be a bigger difference in the basic plot?

10. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I mean ... no? "Alien invasion, with Earth being defended by a group of superheroes" is basically the plot of 95% of major crossover events, with the other 5% being internal threats.

11. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I mean, Justice League, the Animated Series did it first after all.

12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I suppose we could argues what counts as alien invasion, but it's definitely a lot less than 95%. In last 20 years Marvel had only two crossover like that, Secret Invasion and Infinity, and DC had none.

13. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

And that makes it okay? I'm simply seeing Hollywood's never-ending lack of imagination yet again. If DCCU ever wants to get out from under the MCU's shadow (which may be impossible at this point) they need to offer up something different.

This is one of the reasons I didn't like the Doctor Strange movie, because I've already seen several already about a really rich and cocky guy, brought low, and blah blah blah. Iron Man did it better.

Any way you look at it, JL will be measured against Avengers. Having very similar plots is a big negative. With the track record they've been accruing as of late, they need a big win to make up for the mediocre films they've been releasing.

14. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That's just it though. I wasn't talking about Hollywood or movies in general. The source material (comics) itself is set up like that.

15. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I understand why the whole approach is the way it is and I hold no reservations against it because of that. After all, why shit on it when DC comics have had these types of storylines for decades? If they avoided doing it they would be labeled as being afriad of using their best crossover source material because Marvel did it first.

No. I'm wary of this because even the trailer is overly dark. Seriously, how many scenes in that trailer had even one shining light? Trying to be DC grimdark because Batman is popular doesn't work when other characters deserve to be portrayed in their own light.

It seems like DC are saying, "Well, people like Batman, let's make all these guys grim."

Probably still going to love the film regardless.

16. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    I think the movie had to many thing going to the be one cohesive story. You have to do Flash past and development, Aquaman, Cyborg, and WW. They also have to fight the bad guy. Its going to be high on action and special effects, and 0 on plot and development.

17. BigBrother

BigBrother Squib

High Score:
    A lot of superhero movies these days suffer from too many superheroes being crammed into the same movie and there isn't really enough oxygen for them all to breath. One of the reasons I feel the Toby Mcguire Spider-Man movies worked so well is that it was able to focus a lot on one character, Spider-Man, and really develop him as a character and establish an emotional connection over three movies. Nowadays we have half a dozen suoerheros all starring in the same movie, some of which are being introduced for the first time, so we have very little time to connect with them and get to know them as characters. I've been generally unimpressed with DC movies so far, and while the trailer looks good, if a high budget studio can't make a good trailer they have no hope of making a good movie. Man of Steel was decent and has been the best so far in my opinion so let's see if they can top that.

18. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I agree that too many superheros get crammed into one movie, and that the Batman V Superman fell flat. As for Tobi Maguire's Spiderman that was terrible he didn't a great job with his character and the people who wrote his Spiderman character completely ruined it ruined it.

The Amazing Spiderman was worlds above the Tobi Maguire renditions.

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Except Spiderman 2 with Maguire, which remains to this day the best Spiderman film. Perhaps Homecoming can beat it, but I doubt it.

20. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Spiderman 2 that was with Doc Oc right? I can agree with that I suppose it was number three that was such a shit with the whole Venom angle.