1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General Mafia Discussion

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Prophylaxis, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

If Eido is unable to participate, I think Quiddity, Regfan, or Vaimes would be fantastic representatives.

2. Miner

Miner Order Member

Rubicon would be a pretty good choice too.

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Anyone who we send should be okay with playing an intense 36/12 phases game. The qualifying game can be longer phases, but the wildcard and finale are 36/12.

I thought playing that phase length would be a huge issue for me, and it wasn't easy, but I managed okay. You just have to kind of internalize it as condensing the game. So, in a typical D1 you might spend 1 hour a day playing over the 5 RL days of that first phase. In this game you just have to pretty much commit to putting in 5 hours all at once. When I played in the wildcard/finale, I basically woke up, caught up on overnight posts and tried to post something, went to work, came home, showered, ate, caught up on posts, then spent the rest of the night posting and interacting. Repeat as needed. The good part of that is that that kind of intensity usually only needs to be sustained for like 2-3 RL days, as you'll either die or enough other people will die that the game will naturally slow down.

It was fun but intense and a pretty big time commitment for a short amount of time, is what I'm getting at. Very rewarding, but you've got to want it.

4. Delphine

Delphine First Year

We should maybe save Quid for a year when he has a higher chance at a scum role PM (though if he wants to I'm all for it)

As far as people who haven't been mentioned, would love to see Waco or Zenzao too

5. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

I like Regfan, but I don't think of him as a DLP representative tbh. If he plays more games in the coming year on here sure.

Playing and hosting 1 game .. it does not feel "enough".

Quiddity sure if he can handle it. Vaimes had trouble finding time in the last month(s), but only he knows if that will clear up a bit over the summer.

6. Delphine

Delphine First Year

Vesuvius used to have a spreadsheet that detailed information on who played in which games & win/loss records. When I was looking it up today, it said that the sheet was in his trash bin, so I copied the information to a new sheet. I also started a new tab for games that have been played since the last update (very much a work in progress though). See here. Feel free to help fill it in or let me know if you have further suggestions for what to do with it.

7. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Don't continue it! It has only wins for me at the moment .. one more game and the first loss comes in.

8. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ugh. Don't remind me of the old sheet. So many losses.

9. Thingyman

Thingyman Muggle

Thank you for posting the invitation, Newcomb! <3

I'll be following along here. Lemme know if you have any questions about this season.

10. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wow, I'm honoured. But I don't have that kind of time.

11. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Been considering playing these tournaments for a few years now but never really had the time for it and while I've got a quieter few months coming up I don't think I'd be able to handle the faster deadlines over there, 36/12 is...harsh.

I'd love to see Eido play in it though.

12. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While I'd be honored to uphold the honor of our site, I am nowhere near a good enough player to represent DLP, and my emotional stability tends to go nuclear too easily. I've survived as many games as I have by being just bad enough a player for scum to keep around as myslynch bait, and just good enough to warrant town keeping an eye on if generally tolerate. I'd like to say I've improved insofar as my gut and learning how to read the flow, but c'mon, tom had me in the bag last game, and I was wrong on every lead I chased.

I'd definitely second Waco however, or Vaimes.

13. Miner

Miner Order Member

I'm assuming there's a good reason why fonti can't play by the way.

14. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

fonti was our representative the year before me. She is technically eligible, but she's already kind of proved herself in that arena.

I don't want to speak for her, and if she wants it she'd definitely be a strong contender, but part of the spirit of the tournament is kind of a cross community pollination thing. I'd tend to say we should send someone who's never done it before.

---------- Post automerged at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Personally, I think we should send someone with a track record of being very active and invested in games, someone who thinks about mafia with a certain... um, I'm trying to think of a different word than reverence. Seriousness? Non-casual interest in the game itself?

Not quite sure what I'm trying to say here. Some people play the game and have fun and when it's over they barely think about it, some people like to talk shop and read games they're not in, and are just kind of interested in Mafia In General. I think we should send the latter, because the tournament is just way more fun when you're kind of grasping at the whole thing rather than just your game.

To me, that says Vaimes, Typhon, or Proph.

(If Eido can't play, obviously.)

Personally I'd be thrilled to send Eido as our rep with one of those three as a backup/alternate.

15. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Has Eido never done world champs?

16. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

He has not. He's managed to be busy every time.

17. Nachomamma8

Nachomamma8 Muggle

High Score:
    Something something in laws.

18. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Man, those people.

[IMGUR]nZSfj7Z[/IMGUR]

(Also hi Nacho)

19. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Would be willing to be an alternative if Eido can't play; this championship series is fascinating to me and I would like to test my skills up against good players.

Thing is, I don't play much on DLP compared to other sites, and my last couple of games here haven't been strong. I'll definitely find time to play the championship game though.

20. Miner

Miner Order Member

Or you should just a couple games here. *Cough* *Cough*

---------- Post automerged at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Just play***