1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sasuke-centric fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by kracken, Apr 28, 2017.

1. kracken

kracken Squib

High Score:
    Any good sasuke fics where he isn't too crazy/dickish?

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Team 7's Ascension by DLP's very own Eilyfe. Its team centric, but has a great characterization of Sasuke.

Chasing Yesterday
    by the King in White. Sasuke time travel fic. Sasufemnaru pairing. Has a good characterization.

White Rain by Zapenstap. Epic length story. FOcuses more on a believable OC who is Itachi's son, but a loyal sasuke is done well.

Good Sasuke-centric fics that stay true to the character are rare. Most relegate him to romance fics. Your only chance is going for some of the odder pairing with him since they tend to get his character on point.

Also crossover fics.

There is a so much potential for crossovers with Sasuke due to the Rinnegan.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362

Well, this might be a good time to mention-

Ah. Never mind then.

4. Arthellion

High Score:
    He's dickish and crazy, but not in the bashing sense. Rolls can be blamed. Plus seeing your dead mom 24/7 can do a number on you

Best Sasuke Centric Fic is actually a quest.

The Second Uchiha

Great story even if it is dictated by votes and choices.

5. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's kind of sad, really, the lack of good Sasuke fics considering that he is a better character than Naruto.

6. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

The only way a Sasuke centric fic can be good is if Sasuke is post Naruto.

7. Arthellion

High Score:
    Debatable. Most Naruto fics make him similar to Sasuke pre time skip. Even some of DLPs most highly rated fics turn Naruto into Sasuke-lite.

Just because no quality writers have attempted a Sasuke story pre talk no jutsu doesn't mean it's not possible

8. Sey

High Score:
    I highly disagree. While Sasuke is full angst in much of canon, it can be written well if done correctly.

I find Sasuke to be a much more relatable character than Naruto. His reactions are more believable than his foil’s. After witnessing his brother murder his family, Sasuke becomes cold which is a realistic response. After being discriminated against unfairly, Naruto doubles down on his idealism which a much less realistic response. When people wrong oneself, most people think about how to get back at them. Sasuke wished to avenge his family through the execution of his brother. However, Naruto decides that he wants to not only prove his haters wrong, which is realistic but become their friends which I find hard to believe.

I personally feel that Sasuke has a much more interesting backstory. He is a character that went from having it all to having his family murdered to being an international criminal. You can see him struggling emotionally with his anger and at his brother, confusion about his motivations, and pride he feels in his clan. There is a lot of internal conflict that he must overcome much of which he still has not come to turns with by the end of the story.

On the other hand, Naruto is less emotionally complex. Naruto's main problem is that people in the village hate him. This seems to be a decent problem at first, but it doesn't really evolve from there. There is nothing compelling about Naruto's plight with the villagers and we never have seen any of the supposed 'abuse'. Another 'conflict' is his status as a juinchuriki, but this yet again not really expanded on. All the problem does is make the villagers dislike him, and eventually the Akatsuki come after him.

Another difference I notice in the characters is the the actions. For the original Naruto series both characters are, for the most part, reactive characters. They have things done to them and react. However when we reach the end as Sasuke is leaving the village he evolves from strictly reacting to taking actual actions and decisions that have impacts. Naruto, however, remains reactive.

I think it can be simplified to one sentence. Things are done to Naruto, whereas Sasuke does things. The Akatsuki hunt Naruto, whereas Sasuke hunts his brother. For much of the story Naruto is aimless as he doesn’t even understand what is actually going on around him. Sasuke’s aim is quite clear from the beginning of the story and his entire character works towards this goal.

The last main issue I have is with Naruto. His motivations are simply annoying. He has his pure idealistic standards of the world that are grossly immature and unrealistic. He never grows throughout the series and remains intellectually a young child despite fighting in a war. He never had to make the hard choices to kill someone, instead he was always able to ‘beat his morals’ into other characters and then they magically agree with him. He went though all his life and learned nothing and that is something that I cannot endorse.

Anime is not real. The plot is unrealistic, but this does not mean that the characters should act unrealistically and illogically.

I will admit, if you want to make a Sasuke-centric story you need to change a lot about the character as chapters worth of angst and silliness will wear any reader down, but I think he is a better more realistic character.

9. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Naruto isn't a character, he's the audience/readers.

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    This....is highly accurate. Kishimoto sucked at showing the world and instead told through the idiot Protagonist vehicle.

11. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Here are a few of the stories I like:

Irregular Metronome by The King in White: Naruto and DxD world cross-over. So far, it's pretty entertaining.

After the Fourth by Glacious 98: This one is about how Sasuke kills Naruto and the after-effects of that decision.

Rise of the Phoenix by Aquarius Dragon: This one is Sasuke and Madara centric and follows an AU kind of a storyline where Konoha isn't formed yet. It covers the warring era. The characters powers have been reduced quite a bit.

One Thousand Nights by Ajax the Great and The King in White: It picks up after Naruto kills Sakura at the bridge and the story goes on from there. Sasuke is very young here. He is also recruited by Danzo, so it gives this fiction a very different sort of spin I haven't seen anywhere as well.

Vehemence by Aquarius Dragon: It has some pacing issues at the start (and other places as well), but it is really good once it picks up. It's probably my favorite Sasuke centric fiction (from the ones I have read anyway) as both him and Itachi are kept as in-character as possible. It covers some really gritty and realistic stuff when it comes to espionage, corruption, and decadence. Not for the faint-hearted who are into the idealization of Sasuke's character or love seeing him in romantic roles.

If you put your quest for idealization aside, then all of these are well-written in their own way. I am pretty sure I am forgetting a few. I will edit this post when I think of more.

You mean where he is a cardboard cutout?

I completely disagree. In fact, why is angst (the literary angst one can easily see reflected in Sasuke's character and not the coined angst instantly used to disparage a character's characterization) such a terrible thing? Sasuke's character was based on conflict and a dichotomy between proself versus prosocial ideals. Why would anyone even want to change such a character when the room to pen mature topics with Sasuke at its core is vast?

These types of characters can be a haven for the writers who desire to write a political thriller where Sasuke brings Konoha down to her knees; a protagonist who is willing to get his hands dirty. Sasuke is the only character that ever offered any socio-cultural commentary in the manga.

In fact, I have always disliked the writers' propensity for idealizing him in such bizarre manners when he's the only character that is complex, nuanced and well-written in the manga. It dampers the whole concept of verisimilitude Sasuke brought to the narrative.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Sey
  12. Sey

High Score:
    I could not get through that story. Thousands and thousands of words and nothing really happens. Naruto and Sasuke are characters in names only as well.

13. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    It's entertaining as I stated in my post. Nothing more, nothing less. I do understand your issues with the plot, though. Beyond the entertainment factor, it does have a lot of issues. I haven't picked it up beyond the thirty-third (or was it thirty-fifth?) chapter myself.

14. Sey

High Score:
    I stopped a bit after the introduction of

the bone spiders and the assassination attempt on Rias.

There was such so many words with so little plot development.

15. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    The problem is that there isn't much characterization either. I mean, I don't mind a stand-still in the plot if the other is given more importance. Maybe, that's why I didn't go back to it.

16. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Pretty much this. Naruto and Sasuke don't develop the way one would expect them to, as post-series characters--or at all, really. I mean, they go from the strongest characters in their own setting to powerless children and I was like, okay, sure. But something like sixteen years later, they're still basically just kids, and we're expect to believe that, say, Sasuke, spent a decade making no progress while actively working on his new powers and getting beaten to near death repeatedly. I'd have liked a story of Sasuke, the once no-name demon, rising through the ranks as he wanders and puts a stop to what he thinks are wrongs, but instead, he wanders helplessly for years, gets beaten to shit, and meets the cast by being rescued. And I'm like...what? Okay, the person who transferred them over to be her soldiers took away their powers for...some reason? But still, we've seen these characters progress before, come on.

And that kind of set the standard for the rest of the story. Sasuke, faced with emotional and relationship problems, avoids confronting them for years. Naruto, faced with horrible acts occurring in the Demon World, quietly follows Baal's lead and does little. They face issues with each other and run in circles. They find threats to what they love and do stupid things without improving.

But these guys are, like, thirty, right? In younger bodies, but they aren't kids. And when they were kids, they shook the earth and reshaped it to their will. What the fuck are they even doing in this fic?

And then things grind to a near halt with the bone spider stuff and the characters start doing bizarre and stupid stuff. Like, okay, threats and necessity and whatever, but Naruto agrees to go along with a plan to murder innocent people to weaken the Aztec power-base...? But...what?

17. Arthellion

High Score:
    So...uh...shameless advertisement...but this thread prompted a plot bunny that wouldn't leave. So...posted a Sasuke centric fanfic in the WBA. Any suggestions would be nice!

Motivations.

18. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Gonna be shameless and shill my own fic, Blessings of the Twisting Eye. It's only 26K words in but I think I'll get another chapter out within two weeks or so.

Features a kid!Sasuke stuck in a loop of the Massacre, desperately trying to save his clan and unravel the mystery of the massacre. Features no OP!Sasuke and no bashing. I think it's pretty good but it's my first fanfic so it's definitely rough around the edges so far.

Other good Sasuke-centric fics:

Not Sick by Ser Serendipity

Action and Words by Ekusukallybaa

They both take a couple chapters to get going and get pretty good, but both diverge after that. Lots of fun actions scenes, some good character development, and lots of focus on Sasuke.

19. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Honestly, I couldn't get into 'Not Sick' at all. The writing leaves a lot to be desired and the plot is too preachy beyond the 4th chapter. I gave it up at the 9th chapter. I couldn't stomach it any longer how Itachi was given too much voice during the confrontation.

I believe my friend has reviewed your fiction. If it has the dream-sequences, then it would be an interesting read. Thank you for recommending it.

20. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

You could not mind riding the crazy train with him for the lulz.