1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Pokemon

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Seratin, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One of the ideas that every group of Pokémon fans have argued back and forth about for years is what shape the future of the series will take. Fans have literally been crying out for a large scale open world Pokémon game and the recent additions of Sun and Moon have been the closest to that vision yet, while still remaining more or less on the rails.

It appears the only thing holding Pokémon back is a lack of system power and you can really feel it in Sun and Moon where frame rate drops are pretty common even on the 3DSXL.

Game Freak have stated that they intend to support the Switch and that they're excited to make use of the system power but in what form do you think the games will appear?

Will the Switch be the new home of the main series titles or will it be relegated to Colosseum type games?

If it is the new main series home, what would you expect from main games on the Switch and what would you like to see?

2. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Truthful answer full of hurtfax:

The pokemon formula isn't going to change. Nintendo has a Pokesopher's Stone and they aren't about to fiddle with it. Each generation might bring something new to the table - but on the macro level this will prove to be generational flavor content than anything that fundamentally changes the core concept of pokemon.

So what I expect from the main games - be they on the switch or any other system - is 150 pokemon, with 50 or so being new - a new region with the possibility of going to one other pre-existing region after beating the game, a linear storyline, and a distinct lack of Bulbasaurs ;-;

There will never be an 'open-world' pokemon game in a true sense. Pokemon Go was the experiment in that direction and 1. Nintendo really didn't give a fuck and 2. It was shit.

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, the more I've thought about an open world Pokemon game, the more I've come to find that this is just fine. I like the games. I like the new little spices they add to it without changing anything fundamental, and I don't mind if they have a good formula that they stick to. As long as the formula stays fun, it's fine, and so far it absolutely has.

4. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I agree. Let me clarify the ;-; referred only to the lack of Bulbasaurs, not the overall pokemon formula.

5. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

An open world Pokemon which kept the same battle system might actually happen, especially with Zelda's reception.

They've definitely poked at many other previously thought conventions in the series.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Is there going to be another handheld successor to the 3DS, or have they gone full bore ahead with the Switch? If it's the latter, Sun&Moon might be my last venture into the series.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

It just doesn't seem to me like a pokemon MMO would be auto-fail. It seems tailored to the MMO formula. You're the main character and your 'party' consists of your pokemon team. Gyms could be NPC filled still as story progression. Etc.

I don't see it happening though if it hasn't already, though why I am not sure.

But regardless of that I think future pokemon games will keep following a basic formula like vlad said. It works too damn well to fiddle with it overmuch.

But there's no reason that can't continue to do the standard games and then do others. There was a pokemon photography game at some point I think, I remember renting it when I was a kid? Pokemon Snap? So there's room to release games in the standard format on a regular basis while seeding in games in other genres.

I'm just glad that I never really 'got into' pokemon. If I loved it I'd be obsessed with actually catching them all and making sure they had good IVs and whatnot in the games, and I'm glad I don't have to fight myself on that. :3

8. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

One reason is that an MMO requires too large of a company support structure for Nintendo to want to do that.

Blizzard has 6 games out right now (one of which is the biggest mmo) and have a staff of 4700.

Nintendo has countless numbers of games in development and in the wild, two consoles, mobile games/apps, presumably another console/whatever in various stages of R&D (successor to switch, 3ds, the next wiimote, whatever) and their staff only numbers 5100.

(staff counts sourced from wikipedia)

Granted, Nintendo would know roughly what they're getting into (while blizzard didn't, prior to the release of wow), but I'm not sure it's something actually want to get in to.

Further reading: http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/10/3/6901193/blizzard-entertainment-three-lives

* - This is speculation by me of course, but I think it's a plausible reason.

9. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nintendo, as much as I love them, hasn't shown any competence at all when it comes to online services. They are so behind the curve in that area that I'd never trust an actual Pokemon MMO from them.

10. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nintendo are THE gimmick game company. Every console had its thing; dual screens, motion controls, gamepad screen. This is reflected in Pokemon. Especially recently. Look at the sudden introduction of Mega Stones, which have been sidelined for Z-moves.

We keep some elements that are introduced and the series grows. We got time and breeding, and then weather. We got double battles (and a few fucky spin-offs like rotation battles). But the core series remains the same formula. Even the removal of gyms in Sun and Moon was just a fresh approach to the same thing.

We'll get the same thing time and time again. And I'll always enjoy it. But I'll always get the feeling that there's something so hollow about the gimmicks.

The change I'd like to see most of all is an enhanced post-game adventure. We've had massive headway in the battle challenges, but I'd love more story content after becoming Champion.

11. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Even if not an MMO, but an open-world Kotor style RPG game would be awesome.

To me the console games are getting a little repetitive...

12. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

When I said open world I definitely meant more in the style of the latest Zelda than an actual MMO. Nintendo has proven they're willing to do that at least.

13. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Each generation has 9 starters (3*3 evolves)
    9 * 15 = 135
    Factor in eevees

Conclusion: I want 15th generation game to be nothing but wild starters and eevees.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  14. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With a fire/fighting Eeveelution as the game mascot and legendary.

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Nintendo is hilariously incompetent about...well, many things compared to other companies.

Not to mention the fact that they're basically the Mario-Zelda-Pokemon company, Rated-E-For-Everyone. Granted, it brings in the money, but eventually people are gonna become tired of the same games every console.

I would kill myself with the game cartridge.

16. Seratin

High Score:
    Magmapunchthroateon the destroyer of regions.

17. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You say this, but it's not a bet Nintendo has ever lost.

18. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Not yet, true.

Then again, I own a Nintendo DS with only Pokemon White and Pokemon SoulSilver for it, heh.

19. Seratin

High Score:
    Yeah I've pretty much only bought Nintendo systems for Pokémon since the GameCube. I've said it before and I'll restate it, I want a Switch but I can't justify it without knowing I'm going to get a main series Pokémon game on it.

That being said, Pokémon Stars has been almost confirmed by Nintendo releasing a new range of merchandise the other day focusing on star constellations in the shape of Pokémon and Pikachu and Nebby sharing a telescope with the tagline, "Look to the Stars."

Will they release it on the Switch? Game freak have confirmed they're working on a Pokémon title for the Switch but haven't said what.

They also posted a job offer a while back looking for someone to design "Deformed, cartoonish monsters" and who has "RPG experience."

On the other hand, Nintendo are releasing a 2DSXL atm. Why bother keeping supporting the system with a new hardware release if they plan on using the Switch from now on?

My only guess to this would be that it wouldn't be massively costly to just refit a 2DS with slightly better hardware and bigger screens.

They could release a game like Stars on both platforms, sell the new 2DS cheap and hoover up customers who will buy the Switch because of Pokémon and also sell big to people who don't want to splash out on a Switch but want the game.

All while maintaining their PR friendly promise to continue supporting the DS line throughout this year and into next.

20. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Someone kinda maybe relevant to this thread - Pokemon Gold and Silver are coming to the virtual console on 3DS Sept 22