1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The many Deaths of Harry Potter by ShayneT - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Peter North, Mar 10, 2017.

1. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    Interesting, Harry survived for a long time now and another death has finally happened but we have hints not all is as it should be. This is what I feel the story needed; something to shake up the march of Harry's recent triumphs and drawbacks on his resurrection skill.

2. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I've enjoyed this as a guilty pleasure for awhile, but this latest chapter really highlights the problems already mentioned with the telling instead of showing.

He basically skips the entire resurrection scene. The guy is stumbling over to Harry to get the blood of the enemy, but then it skips to Voldemort being alive. No actual skip, just that the description goes from the guy walking towards Harry, skips any actual mention of a cut and instead just quotes the ritual line, then Harry hopes it fails, then Voldemort's alive. No hissing, bubbling, even dropping the blood into the cauldron. It's all very, very jarring.

In addition to that, the chapter delves into that tried and truly fucking annoying habit of science as a solution when it has Harry presumably kill Voldemort (and himself) by using transfiguring dirt into "an alloy of sodium and potassium" which is explosive with water, then tipping the cauldron towards himself. Because it's definitely water in the eldritch reanimation blood sacrifice ritual cauldron.

Decent time waster.

3. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Calling it now, something's fucky with the horcruxes and Voldemort's now sharing in the timetravel do-over thingy.

4. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Yea you called it.

Did the chapters get shorter too?

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Now that Voldemort has started to go back with Harry, when he dies every time, there's not really much point to this fic. Harry didn't stand a fucking chance before and he stands even less now. I worry that this is just going to be resolved with some kind of stupid deus ex machina moment.

6. dhulli

dhulli The Reborn

That's not entirely true. I've seen good divergence stories where one small thing happened at one point and then what follows is an interesting story that explores a different Harry.

Even if Harry doesn't die again for the rest of the fic, it doesn't mean the fic is pointless. The deaths and paranoia changed him.

I do agree that the author's been cutting corners in his writing though which is quite annoying. Because he has a hell of a knack for a plot.

7. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

I kind of feel that Harry needs to die more, or other consequences of him dying show up. Some interesting plot lines would be him going crazy slowly, or when he dies his soul is actually moving to a different harry in a different dimension and the differences are slowly building up behind the scenes until it's just a wasteland. I really hope it's not Voldemort joins the loop. That'd just be kind of boring.

8. Verovir

Verovir Disappeared

High Score:
    Maybe it's a little strange, but I enjoy reading about Harry's paranoia, even when it's not fun to have paranoid schizophrenia in real life. In Harry's case, it is kind of justified, though.

I feared at the start of the story that it would suffer from Harry dying too often, but Harry handled it well in the end. I like where the story is going now. Things even started to go a little downhill,
    with Voldemort apparently sharing Harry's restarts and all
    which might be fun to read about.

I am rather curious about Hermione's role in the story, though. It seemed like she would just fill generic "Harry's friend" role during first time Harry experienced tri-wizard tournament, but now I think they is going to be romance between them now. Will Harry teach Hermione some defensive spells and such? Will they go into fights together? I will have to wait and see.

Dumbledore's role in the story is rather mysterious now too, what with Harry kinda sharing secrets with him now.
    Writing is fine, characterization too... I certainly enjoy it. I rate 4/5, with a possibility of it going up, depending on what will happen in the future.

9. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I'm still liking the fic, it's really the little details shining through that just make me smile when I read it, and the fast update speed is a draw too. I mean, just look at this line, and tell me it isn't great:

I think the lack of canon divergence is actually kind of done well in most places. A lot of times it's sort of a bizarro-riff on canon rather than anything really that much like the original. I really like how the gimmick is done too, because it adds a lot of drama otherwise absent from most fics. Reading through Harry in a dangerous situation you're really never sure if he'll survive or not: that sort of medium-proofed antispoiler measure is very refreshing.

The way that was handled in the last few chapters is one of those all-too-appropriate details that really make me love the fic.

10. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

I'm wondering if/when Harry will ever tell Hermione about his power. Now that Voldemort knows there's not as much reason not to tell anyone and it would probably be her he tells. It would make for an interesting plotpoint. Maybe she doesn't believe him until he dies again and is able to tell her something that might happen in the future.

11. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Yes, a truly masterful example of Ron bashing. Just great.

12. kasper

kasper Squib

High Score:
    Definitely one of the better "kill-reset" fics i have read but seeing as the rest were outright terrible that isn't saying much.

I am grateful that he didn't use 11 year olds for killing harry as most fics assume they are capable of that , but some deaths seem far-fetched but it's okay i guess.

The idea is good but the execution could have been better

A guilty pleasure 1.5/5 from me

13. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

That's not really a usual guilty pleasure rating. Normally you'd rate that around 3/5.

14. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Debatable. Even if you like a particular story, if you're well aware of it's (Many, many) flaws, it's best to be objective and grade the actual quality. I was liking this fic for quite awhile before the quality took an even worse nosedive and even then i think i gave it a 2/5? If we had anything worse than 1, I'd give that to it now, because just goddamn...

15. kasper

kasper Squib

High Score:
    You're right, but even though i described it as guilty pleasure i just couldn't bring myself to rate it higher than that. Like when i typed guilty pleasure i wanted to write 2.5 in front but just could not do it

16. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

With your interesting rating I'm wondering where you squeeze actually bad fics.

17. lunitan

lunitan Squib

High Score:
    An interesting idea that is hamstrung by the lack of any sort of editing and multiple grammar mistakes a chapter. The author almost reminds me of kenichi from the naruto fandom. High speed and low to mediocre quality.

The first five or ten chapters are pretty rough, he seems to die from just about anything and the bullying seems a bit over the top and Harry seems too smart. That said the dursleys actually seem almost relatable in this story. They don't really hate Harry, they hate the danger he puts their family in, which is a nice change of pace.

Once in Hogwarts the story starts to hit its stride but it quickly peters out after the first year. The middle section could really do with some condensing.The author seems to try to do this by telling instead of showing but doesn't seem to have a firm grasp on when he should go into more detail. That or its simply a byproduct of writing so fast.

3/5, in desperate need of a good beta. 4/5 if it was better edited.

18. Mal'sSerenity

Mal'sSerenity Second Year

High Score:
    My biggest problem with this story is the lack of competence that I have seen from the side of Dumbledore and his lot. While it is refreshing to see that Voldemort and his followers are being more proactive, its quite frustrating to see that the good guys are still acting the same way that they did in cannon. If you are going to up the competence level of one side then you should also up the competence of the other side, otherwise the story will fall flat.

I'm only on chapter 19 so far so I don't know if this improves later on or not, but I find it quite irritating that the people opposing Voldemort aren't doing a whole lot more than they are to protect their future savior when they know that Voldemort and his followers are actively trying to kill him. Especially for Dumbledore for even hiring, let alone letting Harry go on a dentition by himself aside form just two other first years, with someone whose last name is Rookwood. Not to mention him more or less brushing aside Harry's concerns about Quirrell.

I would have give the story a 4/5 based off of the rather original take on the whole time loop Harry fic but the lack of provocativeness of the wizarding world protecting Harry despite knowing the kind of danger he is in is enough to bring the rating down to a 3/5 at best for what I have read so far.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  19. Rincasta

Rincasta Squib

High Score:
    This story hasn't been able to hold my attention, but I got through most of it an it was fairly enjoyable even if there were some moments that were a bit clunky or awkward, a pretty solid guilty pleasure story.
    Also the authors still updating at a fast pace which was pretty refreshing.

20. JokeIsAbsolute

JokeIsAbsolute Disappeared

High Score:
    3/5 Stars. I read the story through the end, it was very disappointing, too rushed. And the ending is ridiculous.