1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lists of recommendations

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Astaphta, May 19, 2017.

1. Astaphta

Astaphta First Year DLP Supporter

There are a lot of threads covering variations on the theme of "best fics", even aside from the pairing-threads which often cover similar ground. What I haven't found (and I hope it's not lying around somewhere and I missed it) is a thread specifically about lists of recommendations, a sort of meta-best fics thread if you like.

Lists are nice to read, because if they're well-done you can glean from them not only, obviously, new stories to read, but also a sense of how other readers read, by seeing how they review and trying to understand what makes them tick. Ideally lists are rather long (twenty titles or more), justified (not just the FFN summary of the story in question) and readable.

I've noticed it's considered courteous when starting a thread to give examples of the object of the quest, so here are a few examples of what I mean:

-Taure's (here) and Newcomb's (here), which helped me out a lot when I was just embarking on FF.
    -my own list
    -this list, by someone called Tusing, and this one, by Seylliani, are interesting but less so because their commentaries are rather short

An example of thoroughly bad practice (or at least, not the practice I'm looking for) would be this.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's called the library. Not sure how you missed it.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Have you checked out the C2 yet?

4. Astaphta

Maybe if you'd read my post. The point is not only to discover new fics, but mainly to see how other individual readers reflect on what they've read.

I have, at length, just as I've combed through the library; again though, the C2, great as it is, is not a thought-out and coherent list of favourites.

5. Ched

Fair enough. I often see people complaining that they want to be able to look at someones 'Favorites' list and actually see favorites, but not many people truly use it that way. I know I don't.

Makes me want to come up with my own list, though I doubt I'll do it soon. I'd probably surprise myself with what ends up on it, because I'd probably feel obligated to include stories I've re-read several times even if I can't figure out why I like them. "Stages of Hope" is a good example of a story that is 3/5 at BEST and yet I've probably read the fucking thing half a dozen times over the years. WTF is up with that? I wouldn't ever want to put it on a Top10 list, but clearly it is doing something interesting to my head.

Thanks for the links. If I ever do a list I'll try to remember to poke you with it.

6. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I got called out.

7. Astaphta

@Seylliani: Sorry about that, I edited my OP to include a link to your profile. I hadn't found it on my first posting, though I'd seen your name around on DLP. Your list is great, but some of your justifications for inclusion are a little economical (cf. the first on your list).

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have to agree with the OP. I like reading lists like these. Was thinking of expanding my own beyond the Top 10. I only ever checked out Long Journey Home because of Newcomb's recommendation. Cool thread, OP.

9. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, it's hard sometimes to write a lot on some of the stories as it been a while. I will try to give a better analysis, or for some just simply give an analysis, though.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Astaphta your FFN profile link isn't working.

11. Astaphta

@Scott Press: Thanks for that, rectified and should work. It seems FFN has different URLs for internal and external links.

12. zekses

zekses First Year

High Score:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  13. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I'm kinda slightly guilty of stalking your FF.net profile and sifting through your favorites.

I'm just a casual stalker, pls don't mind me senpai.

14. Ched

My favorites list - as I've said dozens of times on this website - are things I've read, not things I liked. Even things I read but hated are on there.

But that said I hope you found something you liked. :)

15. zekses

zekses First Year

High Score:
    Yes, I am kinda guilty of this too. I don't even remember some of the stuff on my FFN favourite list, which is a reason I didn't link it here. Because my actual favourites I store in another app

16. CaptainFlowers

Do you yourself have an online favorite list? Would love to browse it. --

17. Ched

I don't. That's actually related to my earlier post in this thread that I think the previous guy was responding to - see below.

18. CaptainFlowers

I actually just went through my favorite list on FF.net and cleared house. Only have the authors and stories I love saved and not some stuff that blends together and I mostly forget.

Your story is actually there, Cheddar!