1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

And don't forget, Harry finding it at all in the ROR had its own improbable elements:

1. In a fit of desperation, he asked the Room for a place where he can hide the Potions book.

2. The Room turned itself into its Storage Closet, where everything anyone ever hid there could be found, as opposed to just some random place Harry can leave the Book at to return to later.

3. While hiding the Book in said storage closet, he just so happened to have found the Diadem right there and then!

4. To remember where he hid the Potions Book, he made it a point to put the Diadem right on top of some distinct bust.

5. He saw a copy of the Diadem in the Lovegood's house, and again while in the Ravenclaw Common Room.

6. He made the connection between said Diadem and the Diadem he saw that one time for less than a minute last year.

7. He not only remembered the Diadem he saw that one time for less than a minute last year, he also remembered exactly which bust he put it on and roughly where to find it.

Even if Voldemort knew other people already found the Room, it certainly took a lot of coincidences for anyone to find the damned thing to begin with.

2. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Henry Persico really disagree with this while Horcruxes are not common knowledge I find it ridiculous to believe that people who really investigate Voldemort, which is inevitiable since he wants to take over the world and will without a doubt face of against highly intelligent and educated opponents who will most certainly find out what Horcruxes are.

Not only was it mentioned in a book you can find in a school library, I give you that it wasn't properly explained, a educated teacher like Slughorn still knew of their existence and Regulus was able to find out about them and their function, people also know that he could come back after a killing curse the sheer arrogance of Voldemort is borderline stupid he also bragged that he underwent steps to preserve his immortality.

Horcrucxes was also described in Magick Moste Evil as the darkest of dark magic which they will not describe or elaborate upon which is the most stupid way possible, to not make you curious and want to find out what they are.

He didn't even became highly alert that Dumbledore gave Slughorn back his job who he knew was aware of his Horcruxes and could possibly tell him.

Rowling really should have let Voldemort create the first properly functioning Horcrux with maybe Herpo the Foul creating some kind of offshot with many more flaws since this would atleast explain why he was so arrogant about the whole affair and portray Voldemort as the genius he was supposed to be since now I wonder how could Herpo die and how did they learn about Horcruxes.

The ROR was also not exactly the best hidding place, while it was one of Voldemorts better hidden Horcruxes (which is not that hard Nagini and the Gaunt Ring were terribly hidden) you still have to remember that Voldemort is one the most powerful wizards their is and could hide them where ever the fuck he wanted even Harry came up with a better hiding place on the fly than Voldemort, to just throw some stone in the ocean.

Not only did the House Elves know about the ROR he also has to be aware that Draco knew or did he not know about how the Death Eater came into Hogwarts in HBP.

It also could be quite possible someone would just stumble into the room see a very valuable Tiara and try to snatch it, while they probably wouldn't be aware that it is a Horcrux they could recognize that it is Ravenclaws diadem or just try to sell it with Voldemort not even knowing where his Horcrux would be he didn't even place the curse of the Ring on the Diadem.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  3. Pandelion

Pandelion Squib

High Score:
    Ok, I have a question that's been nagging at me for as long as i've been reading Harry Potter fanfiction. In 99% of the stories that include harry's grandparents from his fathers side, his grandmother is called Dorea and used to be a Black making Sirius and Harry relatives and his grandfather is either called Charlus or Fleamont.
    Basically, I wanted to ask if their names are ever mentioned anywhere in canon or are these some random names that became popular and are now widely used?

4. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Dorea and Charlus appeared on The Black Family Tree which Rowling had drawn for charity auction. They clearly weren't intende to be Harry's grandparents (ages didn't match, she would be blasted off for helping Sirius and Sirius would mention her in OoTP). Fleamont is a canon name of Harry's grandfather.

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

While all this is true, I don't think it was at all clear at the time what Rowling intended: Pollux Black married Irma Crabbe and had a daughter (Walburga) by the time he was 13. Seems a bit much. I'm fairly certain Rowling herself said that her math sucks and should be considered 'rough'. So I don't think it was an unreasonable fanon jump that Charlus Potter - Dorea Black having 'one son' couldn't have been James, especially since we knew that they had James 'late in life' which would explain the generation gap.

This is one of the few moments where fanon got it wrong, but the assumption was completely reasonable.

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Pretty sure this has probably been discussed before, so no need for a separate thread, but I was wondering: is it possible that Dumbledore could have asked/coerced Petunia not to bring up the magical world during Harry's youth?

Like Dumbledore shows up and says accept the boy into your home and you will be protected as long as he calls the place his residence - however, my one request is that he be kept as far away from magic as possible so that he is truly protected for those wizards who still wish him harm (or to manipulate him/profit from his association, etc).

In other words, is it possible that Dumbledore manipulated Petunia into keeping all knowledge of magic out of young Harry's head (until the time is right)? I kind of like the idea that he had the best of intentions in isolating Harry, but the revelation that Petunia's sister had died at the hands of the world's most dangerous dark wizard drives her to take "MAGIC DOESN'T EXIST" to the extreme (out of fear of her family being hurt again).

Sounds plausible to me, but I'm looking for something in the books that jives with the idea.

7. kira and light

Seems very unlikely, Petunia herself hates magic and everything associated with it.

Not only was she extremely jealous of Lily being magical and her not being able to go to Hogwarts, she wrote a letter to Dumbledore as a child asking if she could go there herself and was furious and acted as if magic was freakish and disgusting because she could not be part of this world.

She also atleast perceived as if her parents were favoring Lily more because she was magical and therefore special.

It is also clear that in DH that she still felt some love for Lily and believes that if Lily wasn't magical they would not have literally lived in different worlds and became so seperated but also makes magical society responsible for her death.

So no Petunia herself despises the magical world and would not voluntarily ever speak about it if she didn't have to.

I think it would be far more likely that if Dumbledore wanted Petunia to tell Harry about magic he would need to coere/pay her instead of the other way.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  8. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    If Harry was raised in isolation from the wizarding world by muggles why would they bother trying to explain magic to him until he gets his Hogwarts letter? Imagine explaining a secret of that magnitude to a child less that 11 and expect them to keep it a secret. Wouldn't work. Most people avoid difficult conversations. Let alone conversations with little mini people who don't need to know things. Like where babies come from. Or magic. I guess Dumbledore would assume whatever they could tell him could do little damage and why bother trying to censor them? Or why leave a letter if he was going to talk to them...

You're driving into Bumbledork territory, meethinks.

Edit: Goddamn it Kira! That's twice now! This is why I don't post... you glorious bastard

9. kira and light

Haha sorry, this time we atleast wrote something different :)

Besides this isn't taking into account what a cunt she is, she told him or atleast didn't contradict Vernon that his parents were good for nothing drunks who got themselves killed just to make Harry feel bad.

She could atleast said that they had a stroke or something she is a bitter piece of work who would not do something to make him feel special or happy.

10. RDavidson

RDavidson Disappeared

High Score:
    The HP Wikia claims that several students were petrified in 1943 before Myrtle was killed. But it doesn't give a specific citation for that claim and I can't find where this is mentioned in the CoS ebook (UK edition). Is the claim supported by the US edition or movie? I had been under the impression Myrtle was the first and only victim in 1943.

11. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

The diary says so when Harry writes in it:

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Another prime example of the wiki's uselessness. No, I don't know anything about petrified students the first time around either. If the wiki knows better, it would be nice to have a source -- as it is, I'd put money on this being made-up; it wouldn't be the first time.

Edit: Right, it says that, but where's the petrification? Given that the petrifications in CoS where the result of ridiculous bits of luck (water, camera, ghost in-between), I find it hard to believe that the same happened 50 years ago. And in any case, hard-and-fast claiming they were petriefied when that is at most one possible reading is simply bad and opinionated article writing.

13. RDavidson

RDavidson Disappeared

High Score:
    I suspected it was something like that. Thanks!

14. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

True, it doesn't say anything explicit about a petrification, but it's the only result we know of after a Basilisk attack (when the victim survives anyway), so it's a reasonable conclusion, I think. Too bad the wiki never makes a difference between real facts, logical deductions and far-fetched assumptions.

15. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I suppose getting slapped by the basilisk's tail could be another possible injury. Since getting bit means death as well.

16. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Though that would make blaming Hagrid for the attacks even more stupid: students are injured by being slapped around by a huge monster - blame the kid with a spider.

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The Basilisk is a huge-ass snake with a ton of pointy teeth. For all I know, it bit off legs or arms -- and that would fit reasonably well with a monster spider that bites as well.

But right, the point is that any one sentence in the wiki can be everything from a fact to an assumption to made-up nonsense, hence why it's not helpful if you want to have a quick fact check.

18. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

The fact that all of these victims were totally unable to say "I got hyperfanged/tail whipped/headbutted/some other pokemon attack/etc. by a GIANT SNAKE and totally NOT a giant spider -- snakes and spiders both being most easily identified by their number of legs, of course" seems to indicate that the other victims were in some way incapacitated beyond the ability to speak (petrified). Of course it never explicitly says anything like that. Also, it's rather difficult to imagine that the series of ridiculous events that precipitated so many petrifications and no killings happened in 1943 as well. But given what it says in canon that's the reasonable conclusion.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

It's probable that if the Basilisk attacked other students but did not kill them that it was petrification. But I'm with Sesc that it still doesn't say that. It's the most likely reading of the text, but it's not fact.

Besides... consider the source. Tom Riddle's diary is the one that says it happened. Harry didn't check it independently from the quotes I've seen above.

He could have been outright lying, choosing to tell his story in such a way that it more closely matched what was happening to Harry in the present. This would make Harry more likely to believe him.

He could have been telling the truth that students were attacked, but Riddle could have been attacking them himself and making it look like a monster did it.

Or yeah... there could have been petrifications.

But when you can come up with more than one viable explanation for something it's bad form to put statements in a wiki that only ascribe to one of them.

20. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is there an base in canon for "I want to redeem everyone Dumbledore" ?
    Trying to separate canon from fanon