1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Could Lily have saved Snape?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Severus, May 23, 2017.

1. Psantium

Psantium Disappeared

High Score:
    I think that Snape joined the Death Eaters because he really did not have anyone else to turn to. In canon, his parents are dead, he has no money, and he has no class. If Lily (who's kinda a bitch if you think about it) didn't abandon him, he would have a family and probably wouldn't care about anything else.

2. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Please elaborate.

3. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

From what we know, it looks like Lily stuck with Snape far longer than she really should have, defending him against her own friends and peers despite his increasingly extreme behavior/beliefs.

It no uncommon for people who have a racist etc mindset to have 'exceptions' to their prejudicial stereotypes in the form of friends or sometimes even partners. See racists who marry black women for example. So it is quite possible that even had they been in a romantic relationship Snape would have held onto those beliefs.

If 10 years of close friendship didn't change his views on Muggleborns being sub-human, I'm doubtful that simply adding romance to their relationship would have a lot of difference. Besides its clear that Snape was well along that path by the time they reached dating age, I'm not sure in what healthy manner Lily could have wanted to a relationship with a boy who thinks people like her are a lower order of being. Everyone knows starting a relationship in order to 'change' someone is a rock-stupid thing to do.

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, that he hooked up with the Death Eaters and bought into their ideology enough to publicly shout racial slurs at Lily despite her being his best friend is pretty solid proof that he'd already made his choices.

Saying she had an obligation to "save" him with romance is like saying black women are obligated to have sex with KKK members in order to "save" them. In other words, a really fucking twisted view of the world.

Given that guy was probably the same Snape fanboy who keeps coming back with new sockpuppets, I'm gonna guess his reasoning boiled down to "How dare she not accept Snivelus's Lurve?!"

5. Grffin7

Grffin7 Muggle

High Score:
    I think it's possible. There is a theme of redemption and duality that goes on with Snape's character. He's supposed to be portrayed as a petty bully that goes after children. And yet at the same times lies to the most powerful Dark Wizard of all time on a daily basis. While I think it is more likely that Snape would have joined the Death Eaters, I think there is a decent chance Lilly could have saved him.

6. Norgammon

Norgammon Squib

Well maybe it would have been theoretically possible to "save" him, or at least keep him from joining Voldemort. But that would have taken someone who made it his/her life mission to do so. Not realistic for Lily who just started out as his friend.

7. magicmojojojo

magicmojojojo Squib

High Score:
    This is hard to answer based on what we have from the books. With Snape's pensieve memory, we got a little of the interaction between Lily/Snape/James, but without more background info it hard to say.

8. ST218

ST218 Squib

I'm not really sure how Snape could have been saved.

I mean, there was that one day in their fifth year when the Jehovah's Witnesses came knocking at Hogwarts. Lily could have helped them out in preaching the Word of Jesus to Snape so he could repent his sins and enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Alas, she was too busy hanging with her male harem (of James, Sirius, Remus, and Ted Tonks) plotting a decades long scheme to defeat Voldemort. Dumbledore was always trying to use his loyal servent Snivellus to stop her because she was the heir of Merlin and Dumbledore thought she needed to be brought into line but it never worked.

Anyway, that's how Harry went on to be a secret partner in Google and later rule Mars. So no, Lily could not have saved Snape. She was a bit busy.

---------- Post automerged at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

I mean, like, if we're going to completely ignore canon and logic for the scenarios we're positing, let's have some fun with it. Go all Partially Kissed Hero and crap, none of this "oh but one if one little thing [that's actually a really major thing if you use at least one and a half brain cells] had been different would everyone be happy?".

9. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Realistically, no. I doubt there was any way she could save Snape short of what happened in canon.

I am more interested, however, in why you think it is her duty to save him. She doesn't have any obligation to Snape and doesn't have any reason to 'save' him. If Snape wishes to join the Death Eaters then fine. Do you really think it would be fair to Lily to dedicate her whole life to stop a person from expressing their views, however wrong they are? Lily does not have any obligation to save Snape. Moreover, it would probably be a painful endeavor for her so she really shouldn't try.

10. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Lets be honest.... Snape was friend zoned from day one. Snape, in his hogwarts years, wanted power and fame, which is why he joined the death eaters. He hated and wanted to escape his abusive father. Only when Volde target lily did snape realize what is important to him

11. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I recommend actually reading books. Or just the thread you are replying to.

12. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Could you do me a favour, and summarise in two or three sentences what you think Snape's behaviour was like at Hogwarts? How he behaved towards the marauders? towards the Voldemort sympathisers? towards the muggleborn students? I know we are only given limited information, but it sounds like you and I have extraordinarily different pictures of how all this went.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Wait, are you implying that single event should not be enough for someone to break off a friendship? That second and third chances should be given?

Remember this?
    Are you sure?

And you know this how?

Oh come on. You have to be trolling.

14. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Snape is a lot of things in canon, nice isn't one of them.

15. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Oi, sexist much?

Snape was never a nice guy. He freaking willingly joined Wizarding Hitler and was okay with the extermination of Muggleborns. He only became a spy because Lily was murdered... Not because he actually had remorse for anything else. Snape makes James look like a Saint.

Oh wait... Maybe Snape was a 'nice guy'. You know... The type who is nice to one female with the expectation she will date him, and then flip his shit when she doesn't.

16. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    And, upon said flipping of shit, conspires to get her husband and child killed so she will be free to date him.

Truly the Nicest Of Guys.

17. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

*tips fedora*

18. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

M'udblood.

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Definitely the bigoted, awkward, unhygienic guy who joined magical Hitler whose entire agenda is excluding people like me (Muggleborns) from magic entirely.

20. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    Why do I have to choose ?
    Both are pretty bad tbh ,I guess James at least matured by the end of his teen years but Snape was in a cult by then.