1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Eyes by Shadenight123 - M - HP/Lovecraftverse

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rayndeon, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Title: The Eyes
    Author: Shadenight123
    Rating: M
    Genre: Horror/Supernatural
    Chapters: 14
    Words: 19,218
    Updated: Jun 6, 2015
    Published: Oct 15, 2013

Library Category: Dark Arts
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Harry Potter saw things. Many things didn't gaze back. Harry Potter heard things. Many things didn't listen back. Five pitiful senses were not enough to gaze into the deep abyss, but with magic being magic a sixth sense is more than enough to see what humans were never meant to see. Harry Potter and the Cthulhu Mythos clash.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9767473/1/The-Eyes

A nice, relatively quick read. Author does a decent job of expressing the increasing loss of sanity Harry and others face. Mainly focuses around Harry and Severus Snape interactions towards the middle to end.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  2. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

5/5

If you are looking for something that shoved Harry Potter and the Lovecraft mythos into a blender, I doubt you will ever find anything better.

3. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yup, this is what a Lovecraft crossover should be. Only criticism I can levy is that the ending was kind of confusing, but whatever.

4.5/5.

4. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I actually did read Lovecraft. This story feels just like something he would write. It was a bit too dark for me at times, but I enjoyed it all the same. 5/5.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  5. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Gave it a 5 but would really rate it something more like 4.8/5.

It was brilliant, but the ending was so sudden and anti-climactic. It just...ended. The whole thing was confusing and chaotic with no explanation at all which I suppose is the point, and in that case I suppose the ending does fit. But it still left me feeling like something was missing.

6. Varios

Varios Third Year

Absolutely fantastic crossover, 5/5 just because it made me feel uncomfortable in the same way Lovecrafts works did.

7. saevanus

saevanus Third Year DLP Supporter

Completely agree that it has the Lovecraft-ian feeling down: the same non-victories, the same largely impotent protagonists, etc.

My only complaints are background and characterization. Why was Harry in Arkham, what got him there, and what made him special to Cthulu? Why could Trelawney (and to a lesser extent Ollivander) handle everything for indeterminate periods while Dumbledore doesn't last a month? What did the arch do, and why does Harry continue to exist as a psychopomp when all others 'disintegrate'?

Loved the castle's attempt at protection as well as the cloak's cameo

4.5/5, 5/5 with a bit more polish. Of course I may have read it too quickly and missed these details.

8. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I assumed the Dursleys dumped him there when he started talking about 'things'.

9. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

I took the line "why did he think looking into its' mind was a good idea" to mean Dumbledore tried Legilimency, which the other two didn't attempt.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Bloody hell, that completely blew my mind.

I've tried to read Lovecraft before, and I never managed to get into it. I don't know why. Maybe I was too young, and the prose too tricky to navigate. I'm familiar with Lovecraft, and Mountains of Madness is still on my to-read list, but...

...that was enough. Even without having read Lovecraft, just being familiar with the concepts was plenty to follow this story, and it was great. Easily 4/5 or better.

I mean, hot damn, there's even an over-arching plot. A few things didn't quite seem to line up, so it wasn't perfect, but the story is short enough that the few issues with plot or concept didn't have time to irritate me.

At <20k long, I heartily recommend everyone at least try this. It's not going to be for everyone, but it's short, complete, and interesting for those that are able to get into it. As for how I found it, I credit Blue sparkz (new guy) from his post in the favorite complete fanfictions thread. I went to look it up and found it had a DLP thread already.

Given the nature of the crossover there's not really a lot more to say or spoil about plot. Simply the existence of Lovecraftian mythos changes things significantly, given Harry's role.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  11. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Absolutely, one hundred percent love this story. Talk about a dark and beautiful gem.

4.5/5

12. mrttao

mrttao First Year

This was sad. HPverse gets devoured by lovecraft horror.
    The castle dying was the worst part I think.
    5/5

13. Quantro

Quantro Muggle

4.5/5 good story but I think I would have enjoyed it more if the general insanity was added in more gradually, like an actual Lovecraft story, but it was well written and creepy.

So I assume the vision of Lily at the end was Cthulu or one of his minions trying to stop Snape from doing what he did with the Gate? And by killing Harry and pushing him through the Gate he stopped Cthulu from rising, since Snape dies of old age at the end? But then the castle "died", (which was thoroughly creepy) and was about to "start rotting" (which was even creepier), but that didn't seem to happen. Lots of questions about that ending, but I guess that's the point.

14. mrttao

mrttao First Year

In the final discussion it was revealed that snape failed to stop anything. Hitting harry with the killing curse didn't really do anything.

Cthulu rising is a separate thing that is happening slowly enough to not instantly destroy earth. Harry merely left earth to stop attracting attention to it. Also I am pretty sure voldie got eaten by the old ones at some point too since harry and quirril's eyes met during the first time it was stated that They got distracted by voldie who became their new plaything. I am surprised quirril remained whole enough to hex harry's broom though. Or maybe that was not him but air related lovecraftian things?