1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Before The Dawn by Will 0'the Wisp - GoT/ASoIaF

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Matian, May 24, 2018.

1. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Title: Before The Dawn
    Author: Will 0'the Wisp
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Fantasy
    Length: 212,427
    Fandom: Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire
    Pairings: Jon/Margaery Lyanna/Rhagar Lyanna/Robert
    Summary: Having barely survived childbirth by the skin of her teeth, it seems like Lyanna Stark has had a lucky escape. But after Robert Baratheon emerges triumphant from the rebellion, with lions circling ever closer, the world couldn't be a more dangerous place for her vulnerable infant son. Her own future couldn't be more frightening. NOW COMPLETE!

So, I've been binging on Jon-centric stories lately and I came across this one. Hopefully it hasn't been recced here yet.

It's quite good. And finished, which is a rarity in itself in this fandom. I was particularly impressed with how the overarching plot against the Starks took place. The only real gripe I have with this story, is that, despite it being such an enourmus secret, the Starks seemingly really like talking about Jon's real parentage. Both in Winterfell and in King's Landing. Other than that, only small annoyances.

4/5

The author has some other stories worth checking out.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. inawarminister

inawarminister Squib

Oh man, thanks for the rec.
    That tidbit in early Chapter 5 was worth it.

Hmm, since the Queen doesn't have any sons, the spare should marry someone more... ah, fertile, won't he?
    Edit: bah, no change here. But I guess a heir (Stannis) and a spare (Renly) is enough... Then again, not everyone is into PoDs and butterflies and stuff. Still, this is a very interesting fic.

... where's Bran?

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Meh?

The overarching plot is alright, but paper thin in how obvious everything is. I was not surprised by any of the supposed twists in the story, and pretty much was able to predict how it would end + the major plot points it'd hit after 2-3 chapters.

Furthermore, the ending was just pure Stark/Targaryen wank. And why everyone had to have a neatly tied up romantic ending is beyond me. Some of these had little to no development or any reason for these to occur.

It's not all bad though. Lyanna's scheming is at least somewhat competent and the writing is alright from a technical perspective, but not amazing. A good time waster, but nothing more.

3/5.

4. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really didn't love this. It's okay, I guess, but at no point was I ever excited. Ever. Within a few chapters it became a hell of a drag, and I had little to no investment in the characters.

The writing may not have contained grammatical or spelling errors, but I hesitate to call it good. It feels thematically incompatible with the fandom at times - the egregious errors of modern slang creeping in, turns of phrase and attitude more common to middle America than Westeros, and so on. This reads like a YA novel set in Westeros rather than a GoT fanfiction.

Perhaps I'm being a little harsh. I have a lot of pet peeves when it comes to this particular fandom, so it's very easy for a mediocre fic to get my back up. I'm leaning towards putting it a point lower, but for now it can have a precarious score at the lower end of average.

3/5