1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Ward by Wildbow - T - Parahumans 2

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Nemrut, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sorry, I'm going to take your post over. Ward discussion and reviewing should happen here.

Title:
    Ward, Parahumans 2
    Author: Wildbow
    Genre: Urban Fantasy
    Progress:
    WIP

Summary:

General Details

Ward is the fourth work and first official sequel written by ‘Wildbow’, who goes by John McCrae in real life (or J.C. McCrae in professional correspondence, to not be confused with the Canadian poet) – see the FAQ for more on the author. As a serial, Ward will update with a twice-a-week (Tuesday & Saturday) schedule, with additional chapters appearing on Thursdays as donation milestones are met. The aim is for a 2.5 chapter a week schedule. See the Support page for more information on goal amounts and bonus chapter schedules.

As a serial, the story is broken down into arcs and chapters. Each arc consists of a collection of chapters and encapsulates a roughly book-sized chunk of the greater story. Occurring mostly between these ‘arcs’ are interludes, which are chapters that serve as side stories and alternate takes or formats, switching from the protagonist’s viewpoint to side characters and background characters, who may or may not have been introduced.

Ward is not recommended for sensitive or young readers. Violence, nightmarish fates and tragedy are liable to happen. Swearing happens. Sex and intimate moments may come up; the go-to rule here is a ‘fade to black’ or skipping ahead before the point where any underwear comes off, but the work may touch on anything up to that point.

------

Well, the new Worm thing has started

Honestly, not sure what to feel of it yet. Fanfiction has really soured PHO sections for me but seems interesting enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2018
  2. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Sooo... the prequel to the sequel snippits are going to be mini info dumps? I guess that's better than a bloated-info dump-y first arc.

3. gamarad

gamarad Fourth Year

4. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Glory Girl is an interesting choice. I don't remember what happened to her after Amy messed her up. Does she still have her powers?

Wards will replace my current habit of waiting for Tuesday releases of chapters from Oathbringer.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Interesting start but no idea on how to feel about this. Hadn't really considered Victoria as a potential protag, and maybe it was pure wishful thinking but I had gotten a strong Taylor vibe from the first chapter until she introduced herself.

So yeah, pretty psyched all around and curious to where this will lead.

By the way, are we going to keep using this thread or could we start a new one?

Edit: here is the now updated Wildbow commission picture from Yun-Yun-Hakusho

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm a bit confused about the start so far (4 chapters in).

Where's the hook? It just doesn't seem all the interesting so far. And, it's hard to follow what's going on. Like, I read the action scenes in 3 and 4 twice, and still don't really know what's happening. It just feels a bit sloppy. I know a lot happened to Glory Girl, and some time has passed, but this doesn't really read like her at all. It seems like she's more or less intact after everything Panacea did, but she just seems off, and not in the mind-fucked kind of way.

7. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For anyone out there that only want to listen to finished pod casts We've Got Worm dropped the last episode of the series. They'll be continuing in We've Got Ward but it is definitely self contained and more worth a listen then ever.

8. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

start of 4th arc and so far i'm liking the events that have been happening and the worldbuilding. i like the little cameos and the flip in perspective, especially the outsider's perspective of the events of worm and how Tt may or may not be taking advantage of the resulting misunderstanding.

minor problem i've having though, is that victoria really really really sounds like taylor. there's enough difference in most of her interactions but her introspection, navel gazing, and little ways she describes the world are kind of... odd. granted we haven't had much of her own pov in worm but the way she's suddenly so thoughtful and analytical is kind of jarring compared to what we've seen from her before. there's an in-universe justification, of course, but it still feels like something to move past in order to maintain SOD

9. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Huh. Victoria feels completely different from Taylor to me. She's less overtly dramatic than early Taylor (because she can't even think about her issues) and she doesn't have the same kind of tunnel vision and need to self-justify.

10. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

So I just started reading Ward and I'm currently fighting to get through the first interlude. I have to ask, I know its early in the story, but does it get any better? Right now the only thing holding my interest is the Dallon family drama.

11. Anarchy

It really picks up during arc 2. I guess that's to be expected once Wildbow gets used to writing the character.

12. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

So this one is from Glory Girl's POV?

13. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

You talking about Ward? On another note, can we start Ward it's own thread. Instead of reviving this one everytime. It's technically a different story. Don't know why it wouldn't get its own review thread.

14. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ward is pretty explicitly "Worm Sequel", but it really deserves its own thread.

That's actually something broader I think should change. Separate fics often have different tones, qualities, and so on, and I don't think they deserve to be just layered on top of one another in the way they are.

15. Zombie

We've never posted sequels into the original thread. Ever. There are rare cases where they're combined at the start but yeah. Just make a new thread.

16. Anarchy

I agree, if only because of the rating. For a large stretch of time this story was the highest rated story on the entirety of DLP (pretty much up until the time skip, it was a nearly unanimous 5 star with over 100 votes). Ward lacks a bit of the shock and awe of having a shiny new setting, so it likely won't have nearly as high of a rating unless Wildbow really pulls out the stops.

17. Zombie

You've got a new Ward thread, keep Ward discussion here. Don't keep reviving Worm unless you're talking about the actual story, Worm, or Parahumans 1.

18. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What are you talking about? See this discussion/controversy in Alexandra Quick:

Also see Empire's Son.

19. Zombie

It doesn't matter at this point. Its another story set in the same universe. I said there were exceptions. In this case, I'm making one. Post in this thread, or don't. But don't continue discussion about Parahumans 2 in the other thread.

Parahumans 2 can be either better or worse than Parahumans 1. Because they did that in the past doesn't mean I'm going to. And I'm not going to have that distinction muddied by thirty pages of content and discussion from something that while is in the same universe, is a different story. Okay? Okay.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  20. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

I stopped reading this at some point. Honestly, with Worm I was hooked straight away and it maintained the momentum with a few hiccups. Ward didn't have the same impact for me and the story seems ponderously slower. Does this pick up at all?