Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Great Hall > Hall of Shame > Introduction Archives [Closed]
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 04-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #21
Jormungandr
God of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Emerald View Post
Well, I'm talking about when people use it every way, shape or form for no reason. Using the f-word as a noun, verb, adjective and adverb pisses me off. I don't mind when it's in character for the person.
And?

I don't understand your reservation on the matter?

There are people (like myself) out there who are like that and in a casual conversation with friends or family, it's not that big of a deal if you're not using them to seriously insult someone (which, incidently, can be done without having to use aformentioned 'swear' words).

If there's no serious (meaning non-sarcastic/dry usage of) offensive intent behind the words, it kind of takes the point out of them being profane.

Quote:
Profanity are words, expressions, gestures, or other social behaviors that are socially constructed or interpreted as insulting, rude, vulgar, desecrating, or showing disrespect.[1]
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #22
Styx0444
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Emerald View Post
Well, I'm talking about when people use it every way, shape or form for no reason. Using the f-word as a noun, verb, adjective and adverb pisses me off. I don't mind when it's in character for the person.
What the fucking fuck? If someone fucks fuckedly, you can't say otherwise. Its bad form.

U mad?

Part of the purpose of cursing is to add extra emphasis onto something. It's particularly effective when the person in question swears little, but as people using such language is incredibly common in reality, that dosen't really matter much. People tossing the occasional swear into dialogue adds a degree of realism into the story, and I myself am actually annoyed far more when people use words such as 'heck' or 'darn' in order to avoid swearing.

Also worth pointing out that some things require curse words in order to be appropriately described.

Unless you were referring to the use of swears within the narrative, which is a different matter. That can be annoying as hell, unless it's written in first or second person.

It sounds like you're trying to come across like this:
'Swearing is an unintelligent and unnecessary manner of communication that I disapprove of, and when an author uses excessive amounts of language it displays a lack of creativity.'

You're really coming across like this:
'Swearing is dumb and for poopyheads, herpy derp derp.'

To me, anyway.
Threat #2: Whoever is fucking our koalas. Stop it.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #23
Tehan

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Profanity is the crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers.

(and if you enjoy a lack of profanity, why the shit did you decide to join DLP?)