Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > The Dresden Files
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 08-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
LittleChicago
Unspeakable

Webcast with Butcher and Rothfuss

Tonight!

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2012/08/showtime/

As an aside, I now have the Muppets theme song stuck in my head.

LittleChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Taure
God of Magic
~Soap Box~

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Will catch it on Youtube, probably.

I wonder how much they'll talk about their books. I think probably not much - Rothfuss, at least, seems to prefer to not go into in-depth discussions about the Four Corners, magic, or various fan theories. I think he feels that's what the books are for, and that it's bad to give information out-of-book. He prefers to speak about the craft of writing more generally, about themes and metaphors and so on.

Butcher is a bit freer with speaking about his world, and with Cold Days coming up we might get something out of him.

But I expect we'll have discussion about writing itself more than about Dresden or Kingkiller.
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 08-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Uncle Stojil
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
Will catch it on Youtube, probably.

I wonder how much they'll talk about their books. I think probably not much - Rothfuss, at least, seems to prefer to not go into in-depth discussions about the Four Corners, magic, or various fan theories. I think he feels that's what the books are for, and that it's bad to give information out-of-book. He prefers to speak about the craft of writing more generally, about themes and metaphors and so on.

Butcher is a bit freer with speaking about his world, and with Cold Days coming up we might get something out of him.

But I expect we'll have discussion about writing itself more than about Dresden or Kingkiller.
Which is what I hope. Yes, as a fan, I would actually drool continuously if they talked about their books and universes for hours on end, but after those orgasmic hours pass, I think I would regret hearing all (or most of) that stuff.
Uncle Stojil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Taure
God of Magic
~Soap Box~

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'd regret it if it was spoilers for stuff that will actually make it into the books. But if it was just random facts that are likely unrelated to anything story (are the Four Corners flat like Discworld, or is it a planet?") I'd be okay.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
Mock Moniker
Order Member

So, I can't find a link to the stream anywhere.
I'm guessing it didn't end up happening. Anyone know?
Mock Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
yak
God of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand32085 View Post
So, I can't find a link to the stream anywhere.
I'm guessing it didn't end up happening. Anyone know?
Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52khu_YJAmo

Apparently Google Hangouts are now streamed on Youtube. It's live. Started 18 minutes ago.
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
Taure
God of Magic
~Soap Box~

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Jesus Christ this is some pretentious shit lol. Discussing the definition of faerie tales. Is there really any value in that? "Fairy tale" isn't a natural category. There's no answer. You can stipulate definitions, you can say why a definition is better/more useful, but there's no truth of the matter. There's no "real" definition. Pointless discussion.

Also, Rothfuss always straw mans the sex issue. Kvothe had epic sex with a sex goddess, rocked her world despite being a virgin, and was the first man to escape her without going mad. It's a believability problem people have. Yet Rothfuss always addresses their complaints as a problem of prudishness.

Edit: things get good every time Butcher speaks. Which is not enough.

Last edited by Taure; 08-08-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
Jon
The Demon Mayor
I am the Truth

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
Have to agree with Taure. Every time he opens his mouth I pay attention.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
Mock Moniker
Order Member

Well, I was expecting something very different from that.

I skimmed through it and didn't really find anything related to the Dresden world or the Kvothe world. I was hoping for little tidbits regarding the upcoming books. Seemed like things were geared towards aspiring authors, rather than readers.

Did I miss anything particularly good?
Mock Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Portus
God of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
Jesus Christ this is some pretentious shit lol. Discussing the definition of faerie tales. Is there really any value in that? "Fairy tale" isn't a natural category. There's no answer. You can stipulate definitions, you can say why a definition is better/more useful, but there's no truth of the matter. There's no "real" definition. Pointless discussion.
There aren't enough words in this or any fantasy world to describe the black hole of irony in this quote, on this site, from this member. I was having a rather bad day up until about ten seconds ago - thanks, Taure.

Geminio - Story Showcase - For Review - FF.net - PC

Portus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Aekiel
Master of Merrill
People Die when they are Killed

DLP Supporter Donor Star
So fucking sigged.

Which pretty much tells you everything you need to know about Mother Winter, right there.
Because you can't, you won't and you don't stop ~ The Beastie Muppets
Aekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up