Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Multimedia > Movies, Music and TV shows
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Celestin
God of Magic

Batman vs. Superman

Only version that will ever matter (to people growing up in 90-ties).

But we can use this thread for Snyder's version too.
Celestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
Republic
God of Magic

I don't know how they expect anyone to take it seriously with that title.

I mea, seriously? That was the best they could come up with?

Step 1) Find obscure/empty fandom.
Step 2) Write a decent, not-terrible fic.
Step 3) Declare yourself best in the fandom.
Step 4) Bask.
Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Red Aviary
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I don't think the title's finalized yet, but I don't like it either. I'd prefer it if they just called it "World's Finest." It's less antagonistic, and fits the "Dark Knight" and "Man of Steel" title themes they've been doing which don't directly reference the character's names.

I think the latest info I heard from a few days ago was that Batman's costume looks Jim Lee influenced, according to Kevin Smith anyway, which could mean that they're actually making the suit grey and not all-black like they have been since 1989. Jim Lee designed the current New 52 suit, so I imagine it'll look more or less like that. I'm perfectly fine with this, and I say it's about time. Actually I was hoping the last Nolan movie would give us a suit that looked closer to the comics (and a Batman closer to the comics for that matter), but clearly that didn't happen.

I've also heard they might bring Wonder Woman and Nightwing into it. I'm more in favor of Nightwing than Wonder Woman in this case. I think Wonder Woman deserves her own movie to establish her (hey, if they can make a Thor movie or a Guardians of the Galaxy movie of all things, they can make a damn Wonder Woman movie) and throwing her in here could crowd things, whereas Nightwing is pretty firmly attached to Batman. And if they're portraying an older and more experienced Batman here, then having Nightwing is a good way to show that.

Here's some things I think would work for portraying a "world weary," as they put it, Batman:

- They want an "older" Batman here. Clark said he was thirty-three in MoS, so I'd make Batman in his late thirties, which would roughly coincide with Ben Affleck's actual age. Not too old like DKR's fifty-five year old Batman or anything, but still older than Clark. Ideally he'd have around a decade of experience under his belt at this point.

- Dick Grayson has grown into a young adult and has become Nightwing.

- Barbara Gordon was crippled and Jason Todd was murdered, two tragedies that occurred in quick succession, and both committed by the Joker. These both happened recently and have left Bruce depressed and disillusioned.

- In addition, Bruce's philanthropic efforts using his money combined with his activities as Batman have shown significant improvement in Gotham City, and he's wondering if he's needed anymore (much like TDKR).

- If they're really going to have Superman and Batman fight, I could see it set up thusly: while we know from MoS that the responsibility for the destruction in Smallville and Metropolis falls on Zod and his men's shoulders, from an outside perspective that's probably not as clear. Bruce would see these powerful aliens battling and wouldn't differentiate Superman from the others that well, and thus he would be suspicious. He might see this as a continued purpose for Batman, and he fixates on countermeasures against Superman as an outlet for his grief and anger. I'm not sure what would trigger an actual fight, but it should probably come about as a result of a misunderstanding on both Superman and Batman's parts: Superman only knows of Batman as a shadowy vigilante with sometimes extreme methods, and Batman sees Superman as a potential alien threat to Earth.

- What I'd like to see as a result though is Clark convincing Bruce that he can still do good as Batman, and that, as Bruce put it in the Justice League cartoon, "justice doesn't have to come from the shadows." It'd be a transition for Batman from a Gotham-local hero to a superhero on a larger scale, and help set up his involvement in the Justice League. Meanwhile Clark could still be wondering whether he did the right thing with Zod, and seeing how Bruce has done what he's done for ten years without killing anyone, might help solidify his own views on killing in the future through this. Also Bruce could help him see the line between between protector and tyrant and give him perspective as to how normal people see him and his powers.
We can tell other people about... having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future.
Red Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Zircon

DLP Supporter Donor Star
What Aviary is suggesting is amazing, but I'm not sure how to pull it off in a 110-155 minute movie which I'm guessing is the range (probably more 140-160 actually), but I'm not sure how to fit all that Batman backstory in without flashbacks (not sure if they're common in MoS haven't watched it yet, will be soon. I'm hoping for a Batman centric story where superman doesn't get on screen until we're at or past the halfway point.

As to Wonder Woman and Nightwing, I think it would be good to see Wonder Woman in her own movie though a cameo or mention to set her up properly for her own movie. Nightwing done right would be goddamn fantastic. He's got one of my favorite costumes though so I'm almost hesitant to support it just because he might end up awful.. still anything is better than a grown man dressed as Robin :/

Does anyone know if these movies are in the same universe as Arrow, the new Flash show and the Gordon show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandrel View Post
I don't think we'll see a Hulk movie for a very long time.
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Red Aviary
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rents View Post
but I'm not sure how to fit all that Batman backstory in without flashbacks (not sure if they're common in MoS haven't watched it yet, will be soon. I'm hoping for a Batman centric story where superman doesn't get on screen until we're at or past the halfway point.
MoS has plenty of flashbacks to show Clark growing up and such. For Batman though... well if they didn't do what they did with TDKR I'd have suggested using the Nolan movies as a base. Maybe it's still possible to count Batman Begins and The Dark Knight as a loose canon for this Batman while discounting TDKR? I don't know. Honestly I think it's safe to assume the audience knows about Batman already, and they can just fill us in about things like Dick and whatever wasn't covered in the Nolan movies.

EDIT: Actually I'd rather them just start from scratch and leave the Nolan movies as they are. There are some things from even the first two I'd have liked changed for this Batman anyway.

I'd rather not have Batman steal the show. Superman and Batman should share the spotlight, or if one character has to have more then give it to Superman. Batman's already had a lot of exposure recently, I don't want them to play him out too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rents View Post
Does anyone know if these movies are in the same universe as Arrow, the new Flash show and the Gordon show?
I'd really like Arrow to be, but I don't think it's confirmed yet. If they want to start up a live-action universe then using what Arrow's already established would give a lot to build off of.

I don't know about that supposed GCPD show. If it's set before Batman turns up then I don't think they have a lot to go with in terms of Gotham villains and heroes. There wouldn't be a lot to set it apart from other police shows. Unless you have all these Gotham villains without Batman, which would be kind of weird.

A GCPD show taking place throughout Batman's career though, with Season One roughly representing the situation in Year One and moving from there, would be interesting though. It'd be neat to see the progression of Batman's career and his effect on Gotham from an outside perspective. Batman himself wouldn't show up often, his presence would just be felt.
We can tell other people about... having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future.

Last edited by Red Aviary; 11-15-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Republic
God of Magic

Be aware, this is a direct sequel to MoS. So don't worry about Superman only appearing after Batman is established. The protagonist is Superman.

Step 4) Bask.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
Moridin
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Moridin
So as far as the title goes, apparently Warner Bros has registered a bunch of titles that are Man of Steel-based. So hopefully it won't be as ridiculous as 'Batman vs Superman'.

Also, Wonder Woman introduction? Hadn't heard that, but apparently there's a chance of this, which is awesome. Hopefully they'll maintain a connection with Arrow, which seems to be expanding into the DC universe, and do this right for once.
"That pit, this cage, the pipes- this is all symbolism. We are not truly here. These things represent ideas and concepts about you, and in that pit is no monster. There is nothing in there that did not come from you."
Quote:
He raises his wand. "Sorry about this, Wade. Obli -"

"Won't work." I smile, and he falters. Thankfully, since whatever that was, it would totally have worked.

Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 AM   #8
Red Aviary
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
So as far as the title goes, apparently Warner Bros has registered a bunch of titles that are Man of Steel-based. So hopefully it won't be as ridiculous as 'Batman vs Superman'.
Quote:
They include "Man of Steel Battle the Knight", "Man of Steel Beyond Darkness", "Man of Steel Black of Knight", "Man of Steel Darkness Falls", "Man of Steel Knight Falls", "Man of Steel Shadow of the Night", "Man of Steel The Blackest Hour", and "Man of Steel The Darkness Within".
I guess out of those "Shadow of the Night" sounds the least stupid. It's, uh, still kind of stupid, but at least it doesn't sound just like the last Star Trek or Transformers movie's subtitle. Maybe "Shadow of the Knight" would be better.

I still don't see what's wrong with "World's Finest."

Last edited by Red Aviary; 11-22-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #9
Moridin
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Moridin
Beyond Darkness sounds too much like Into Darkness for me, and the rest are eh. I personally would prefer Darkness Within, but they all seem a bit iffy. World's Finest might be jumping the gun a bit, honestly. I dunno, at this point I'm just relieved there's a chance it's not 'Batman vs Superman', which is a dozen times worse than any of those.

I'm more interested in potential Nightwing and Wonder Woman involvement. I think bringing in Wonder Woman might crowd the film a bit, though if it's perhaps an oblique reference to Themyscira or an ending scene like Thanos in the Avengers then it might work. Bringing in Wonder Woman and then focusing solely on Superman and Batman wouldn't really work well IMO. Nightwing's an easier sell since he's Batman's protege and can come in as an ally of sorts for a more minor role.
"That pit, this cage, the pipes- this is all symbolism. We are not truly here. These things represent ideas and concepts about you, and in that pit is no monster. There is nothing in there that did not come from you."
Quote:
He raises his wand. "Sorry about this, Wade. Obli -"

"Won't work." I smile, and he falters. Thankfully, since whatever that was, it would totally have worked.

Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
Solomon
God of Magic

Send a message via AIM to Solomon Send a message via Skype™ to Solomon
For what it's worth, there are rumors that Arrow (a surprisingly excellent TV show about, you guessed it, the Green Arrow) will feature Nightwing later. Also: the Flash will briefly feature for a few episodes (unpowered, seems like) before his own spin-off starts up.
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
Celestin
God of Magic

Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman and will be in the movie making it less and less MoS 2 and more JLA: The Beginning. Though it could be just a cameo, I won't be surprised if she is Bruce's "girlfriend" in it.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Republic
God of Magic

Shut up, you. I might actually grow hopeful and then get crushed when I see it.

Step 4) Bask.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Red Aviary
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Hrm. I'm hoping her involvement is minimal. I'd still prefer her to have her own movie to set her up.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
Hashasheen
God of Magic

Israeli actress and Israeli army experience. So hopefully she'll be both incredible and intimidating in equal measures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portus View Post
Mind giving a description of your gran, in particular without her bifocals and dentures?

This may sound odd, but goddamn, does she sound familiar.

Last edited by Hashasheen; 12-04-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Hashasheen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
Invictus
Unspeakable

She isn't a very good actress, not bad, but not really good from what I've seen, but since I despise the Fast and Furious franchise I can be suprised. My main problem is her figure, she is barely skin and bones, the amazon princess who can be defeated by a strong gust of wind. Really, just look ate her "sexy" moment in F&F 5, I was really puzzled, how could that guy leave finger prints on something that doesn't exist?

Bring Gina Carano or Ronda Rousey, they have the body, martial training and a lot of fame, and at least as acting experience as Gal Gadot. And Carano was pretty good in Haywire.

Edit: Great, now I'm one of internet whiny bitches, but I stand by my point, she doesn't look anything like (what I view as) Wonder Woman.

Last edited by Invictus; 12-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
Celestin
God of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
She isn't a very good actress, not bad, but not really good from what I've seen, but since I despise the Fast and Furious franchise I can be suprised. My main problem is her figure, she is barely skin and bones, the amazon princess who can be defeated by a strong gust of wind. Really, just look ate her "sexy" moment in F&F 5, I was really puzzled, how could that guy leave finger prints on something that doesn't exist?

Bring Gina Carano or Ronda Rousey, they have the body, martial training and a lot of fame, and at least as acting experience as Gal Gadot. And Carano was pretty good in Haywire.
It's pretty much given that she must bulk up for this role similarly to Cavill though not as much. But Gina Carano was my personal favorite in terms of a warrior woman presence.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #17
Alraune
Seventh Year

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh...ue-on-the-way/

Batman vs Superman has been moved to 2016.
Alraune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #18
Red Aviary
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
As long as it turns out reasonably good, I don't mind too much if it's delayed. But filming another movie alongside it might be a little too ambitious.

Quote:
It was revealed a few weeks ago that Argo scribe Chris Terrio was taking over screenwriting duties on the Batman-Superman-Wonder Woman film
Huh, that's interesting. I wonder if he's fine-tuning a script David Goyer already wrote, or if he's making his own to replace it?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:16 AM   #19
Alraune
Seventh Year

Quote:
Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that the release of Zack Snyder’s untitled Superman/Batman film has been moved from a July 17, 2015 release to May 6, 2016, the same date as a yet-to-be-titled Marvel Studios film.
They are insane.
Alraune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #20
Jjf88
Order Member

May 6th might be the new Spider-Man movie
Jjf88 is offline   Reply With Quote