Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2017, 06:14 AM   #61
zekses
Muggle
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
Custom user tags.
Exclusion of user tags from further search results
More fandoms, per-user fandoms
Search within all user fandoms (that doesnt timeout)
More sort algorithms for example one from this article: https://animemonographia.wordpress.c...anfiction-net/
Better readability of search results.

Also, it's kinda strange to be called moaning when I already posted my ideas and implementation above for cross reference. Heck, I recommend scryer to ppl as a first choice and my app only for those who don't think it's enough.

P.S. When I say that saved searches are almost useless I mean that it's good to have them, but they rate among the lowest possible time savers for me. By itself, it doesnt filter out anything you've already seen and only saves you maybe 15 seconds settings up the search, on which you later waste minutes re-reading through stuff. I am not saying it's completely useless. Just that it's not something big, whereas tags, when you enable them, will be that much better.

---------- Post automerged at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Speaking of readability: scryer is better than ffn in that sections in the summary dont jump wildly, but I still think that its extremely hard to quickly look at anything you want as everything is too small and almost unnoticeably different in color.
Just a small comparison:




The statistical information that is barely noticeable at the bottom of fic info with scryer matters more than you'd think. It should not be so small.

P.S. If you havent read The Mating Frenzy you should, it's hilarious.

Last edited by zekses; 03-10-2017 at 08:41 AM.
zekses is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 03-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #62
oakgem217
Squib
 
oakgem217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Quote:
In any case, I've activated your account manually.
Thanks a bunch.
oakgem217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #63
a51933
Squib
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 6
Thanks for this thread. I didn't know about scryer till I spotted this. It seems to cover all the search options I usually need. The only suggestion I might make is so e form of alert or RSS feed system. Something that would allow someone to create searches and then receive notifications or feeds showing any new results without having to actively search again. Maybe that would be beyond the scope of this project but it's the only thing i could thing of that isn't currently available.
a51933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #64
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God
 
Lord Ravenclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by a51933 View Post
Thanks for this thread. I didn't know about scryer till I spotted this. It seems to cover all the search options I usually need. The only suggestion I might make is so e form of alert or RSS feed system. Something that would allow someone to create searches and then receive notifications or feeds showing any new results without having to actively search again. Maybe that would be beyond the scope of this project but it's the only thing i could thing of that isn't currently available.
It's certainly on the list of things we want to do. There's a little infrastructure work going on behind the scenes currently, but once that's done alerts should be possible.
__________________
Scryer - FF Search Engine
Lord Ravenclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:22 PM   #65
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God
 
Lord Ravenclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,099
Much of our infrastructure work has been completed. Today I was able to release content tags as searchable entities:



You can both exclude and include tags. For instance, I call this search The M'ladies.

The most useful aspect of this is excluding slash or harem stories that would otherwise clutter up your search experience.

I'm actively working on broadening the set of tags available and allowing them to be applied by users.
__________________
Scryer - FF Search Engine
Lord Ravenclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #66
SilverOtter
Seventh Year
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 249
With the most recent update I cannot login anymore. It says invalid email/password. When I try to recover the password it says email address not found.

Did this update break something or was the db wiped?
__________________
Looking to plan for retirement? Betterment has a nice calculator and lots of tools to help you plan.

Get 6 months to try it out for free with my referral link.

SilverOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #67
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God
 
Lord Ravenclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOtter View Post
With the most recent update I cannot login anymore. It says invalid email/password. When I try to recover the password it says email address not found.

Did this update break something or was the db wiped?
User management hasn't been touched and the users table wasn't touched. I can still login.

I looked for your DLP username and email and couldn't find them. If you didn't use these, PM me what you used.
__________________
Scryer - FF Search Engine
Lord Ravenclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #68
Miner
Seventh Year
 
Miner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: East Coast
Gender: Male
Posts: 233
I just opened Scryer and messed around with it for a little bit so I might not have utilized all the features (exclusions and whatnot), but I noticed while browsing that stories that have been deleted from FFN are still showing up with links to its original story page with FFN messages like Error Code 1 or whatever.

Not sure if this is a fixable problem, or even if it's been addressed in the past, but if it hasn't, then is it possible to get rid of the deleted stories?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomb View Post
If my obituary reads, "Newcomb was famous for writing Harry Potter fanfiction and shitposting dank memes in forum mafia games," imma be a little tilted.
Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #69
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God
 
Lord Ravenclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner View Post
I just opened Scryer and messed around with it for a little bit so I might not have utilized all the features (exclusions and whatnot), but I noticed while browsing that stories that have been deleted from FFN are still showing up with links to its original story page with FFN messages like Error Code 1 or whatever.

Not sure if this is a fixable problem, or even if it's been addressed in the past, but if it hasn't, then is it possible to get rid of the deleted stories?
Click the little flag when you run across these and it'll remove it. Scryer doesn't continuously recrawl all pages of story listings in order to reduce load on FFN. It will be recrawling monthly however so they should disappear themselves over time.
__________________
Scryer - FF Search Engine
Lord Ravenclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-05-2017, 12:48 AM   #70
draykfyre
First Year
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 34
DLP Supporter Donor Star
I'm not sure this is quite the the correct place for this, but hopefully it's alright.

I attempted to get Scryer running earlier today locally on my machine, as I thought maybe it would be neat to have a local version for when I get involved in a relatively new/small fandom, and maybe try to contribute a bit if I have any decent ideas for improvements (probably not as life is busy, but who knows). I've got everything but crawling working now as far as I can tell, but I can't figure out where the code that handles crawling ffn for entire fandoms is to figure out how to run it. Am I missing something?

Edit: Digging into it a little more, it's also a bit unclear what fields go in the elasticsearch indices. Are those defined anywhere?

Edit2: I see a commit message that mentions using scrapy - are the crawlers open source?

Last edited by draykfyre; 04-05-2017 at 10:01 PM.
draykfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #71
ScottPress
Minister for Magic
The Horny Sovereign
 
ScottPress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Holy Moose Empire
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,316
High Score: 1,826
Can I use DLP login/password for Scryer?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose in Discord
we gotta teach scott contouring
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #72
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God
 
Lord Ravenclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by draykfyre View Post
I'm not sure this is quite the the correct place for this, but hopefully it's alright.

I attempted to get Scryer running earlier today locally on my machine, as I thought maybe it would be neat to have a local version for when I get involved in a relatively new/small fandom, and maybe try to contribute a bit if I have any decent ideas for improvements (probably not as life is busy, but who knows). I've got everything but crawling working now as far as I can tell, but I can't figure out where the code that handles crawling ffn for entire fandoms is to figure out how to run it. Am I missing something?

Edit: Digging into it a little more, it's also a bit unclear what fields go in the elasticsearch indices. Are those defined anywhere?

Edit2: I see a commit message that mentions using scrapy - are the crawlers open source?
Sorry, I just saw this. At this time, the crawlers are not open source. Mainly because they're pretty embarrassing, but I'll see what I can do to clean them up for public consumption.

If you'd like to be my guinea pig, PM me and I can drop you the source before I make it publicly available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPress View Post
Can I use DLP login/password for Scryer?
At this time no, but I do want to make a federated login.
__________________
Scryer - FF Search Engine
Lord Ravenclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 04-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #73
Quiddity
Auror
 
Quiddity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Zealand
Gender: Male
Posts: 606
By the by, the new Scryer ad is dope.
__________________
Lead designer of Erebus in the Balance, a balancing and playability modmod for Fall From Heaven 2, the award-winning dark fantasy mod for Civilization 4
Quiddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-15-2017, 03:25 AM   #74
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God
 
Lord Ravenclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiddity View Post
By the by, the new Scryer ad is dope.
@Palindrome's skills are unmatched.
__________________
Scryer - FF Search Engine
Lord Ravenclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #75
readerboy7
Fourth Year
 
readerboy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GMT + 12
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Posts: 126
Is it possible for me to search for "all crossovers except x, y, z"? Say, if I wanted to search for all Naruto crossovers, excluding the crossovers with Bleach and Inuyasha?

If not, could that function be added?
__________________
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of FFnet
I fear no bad-fics; for DLP is with me.
Your recommendations and comments; they guide me.
readerboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Resolved] Scryer Down? moonpotato Site Related Support 7 01-22-2016 01:27 PM
Scryer: Fanfiction Search Database (Alpha) Lord Ravenclaw Announcements 109 04-26-2015 11:22 PM
FanFiction Search Engine broken ? samkar FanFic Discussion 21 04-12-2011 07:11 PM
Techblog: Sphinx Search: MySQL Fulltext Search Engine Replacement PatronusCharm FeedBot Techblog 0 07-21-2008 12:20 AM
DLP-style FF.net Search Engine Olfrik General Discussion 21 07-28-2006 05:48 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2016 DLP Group. All rights reserved.
No personal intellectual property on this site may be used without the credit and express permission of the respective authors.