Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Real Life Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #1521
Mordecai
Groundskeeper
Drunken Scotsman

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,485
Except that everyone is labelling it terrorism, including the Government and the police from what I've seen...
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #1522
Oment
Minister for Magic
The Betrayer

The red tops took a while to do it, I think. Not a surprise, really.

Update on the Grenfell fire: 79 dead or missing, presumed dead as of this afternoon. Probably won't be the last revision either.

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #1523
Aekiel
Order Member
Angle of Mispeling

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 9,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD View Post
There's been another terrorist attack in London, this time a white male who drove his van repeatedly into worshippers as they were leaving the mosque after nightly ramadan prayers:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40322960

Surprised there wasn't a post already here about it. Less surprised that every mention of it in the media has "terrorist attack" in quotes and that 'the arrested man would be "subject of a mental health assessment in due course".'

Can't wait for the attacker to be declared mentally ill and for this to get swept under the rug. Because remember folks, when terrorism happens in your capital city, it's only terrorism if the attackers are brown.
Don't take the Sun/Daily Mail as the voice of the nation.
Because you can't, you won't and you don't stop ~ The Beastie Muppets
Steam Profile
Aekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #1524
TMD
Groundskeeper

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
Except that everyone is labelling it terrorism, including the Government and the police from what I've seen...
They are now, they weren't as of the time of my original post.
TMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #1525
Invictus
Alchemist

Quote:
They are now, they weren't as of the time of my original post.
I can vouch that this is not true. May first pronouncement about it was saying they were treating as very likely/possibly to be terrorism. Since the first news came out, BBC told that.

Look TMD, I know you have good reasons for this chip on your shoulder, Tower of London sized or not, buuut lashing out and talking in extremes like this will just make people annoyed at you. And specially when you jump the gun.
Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #1526
Innomine
Auror

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,500
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
I can vouch that this is not true. May first pronouncement about it was saying they were treating as very likely/possibly to be terrorism. Since the first news came out, BBC told that.

Look TMD, I know you have good reasons for this chip on your shoulder, Tower of London sized or not, buuut lashing out and talking in extremes like this will just make people annoyed at you. And specially when you jump the gun.
Chill out man, there's precedent for why he is saying what he is. I was genuinely surprised to see the media and gov outlets start calling it terrorism.

And I was keeping an eye on it, it took a while before they all started calling it terrorism. Fox News was the first to call it as such that I saw.
Innomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #1527
Invictus
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innomine View Post
Chill out man, there's precedent for why he is saying what he is. I was genuinely surprised to see the media and gov outlets start calling it terrorism.

And I was keeping an eye on it, it took a while before they all started calling it terrorism. Fox News was the first to call it as such that I saw.
Innomine. Literally, why are you quoting me? I am very chill. My message is just in that way. This has nothing to do with you and I acknowledged his point. Me and TMD agreed on such things in the past, specially regarding Israel. He knows I meant in Goodwill, and because i do jump the gun and post hotheaded to often.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #1528
TMD
Groundskeeper

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I get your point @Invictus, and obviously you're correct - now that everyone from the PM to the Police are openly calling it terrorism it looks like my original post was short-sighted.

My original point and my frustration at the time however was due to the contrast between this attack and the one for example at London Bridge. The latter seemed to be labelled a terrorist attack almost instantly, whereas this one took place around midnight last night - and around 10 hours later major media outlets were still using "terrorist attack" in quotation marks. I went back and had a look at on-the-night coverage of LB and that wasn't the case then.

Anyway its a small irrelevant thing that doesn't make a difference now, and which shouldn't detract from more productive discussion about the attack itself. Clearly this attack was far more brazen and severe than the typical EDL islamophobic hate crime. Do people think this is likely to indicate further such attacks from nationalist-type extremists?
TMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #1529
Invictus
Alchemist

Quote:
I get your point @Invictus, and obviously you're correct - now that everyone from the PM to the Police are openly calling it terrorism it looks like my original post was short-sighted.

My original point and my frustration at the time however was due to the contrast between this attack and the one for example at London Bridge. The latter seemed to be labelled a terrorist attack almost instantly, whereas this one took place around midnight last night - and around 10 hours later major media outlets were still using "terrorist attack" in quotation marks. I went back and had a look at on-the-night coverage of LB and that wasn't the case then.

Anyway its a small irrelevant thing that doesn't make a difference now, and which shouldn't detract from more productive discussion about the attack itself. Clearly this attack was far more brazen and severe than the typical EDL islamophobic hate crime. Do people think this is likely to indicate further such attacks from nationalist-type extremists?
Oh I get you. The Quebéc attack made it very clear. At least no one is saying that 'the muslims shouldn't be surprised they're being attacked because what they let their peers do'? Thank God the small miracles?
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM   #1530
Teyrn
Seventh Year

Someone stole a mummified toe. I'm bemused and curious what the thief plans to do with it.

Source

Steam Profile:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/YKfox
Teyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #1531
The Pro
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrn View Post
Someone stole a mummified toe. I'm bemused and curious what the thief plans to do with it.

Source
Just when I thought humanity couldn't surprise me, someone does shit like this.
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #1532
Teyrn
Seventh Year

It could be worse. The last toe was swallowed. On purpose. He paid the 500$ fine right after.

Steam Profile:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/YKfox
Teyrn is offline   Reply With Quote