Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 02-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #41
Ryriena
Second Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrows View Post
So long as nobody is pairing adults with students I am fairly ambivalent. Even Tonks/Hogwarts Harry is seriously pushing the borders of ethical, considering she must be at least 25 or so when he is 16/17. After Hogwarts, I don't care though I do find it pretty weird when they decide to pair up people a generation apart.

Out of the three or four reasonably developed female characters or around the right age, I would say Luna/Harry has always made the most sense to me. After spending his teenage years under the pressure of the property and the responsibility of being the saviour. I can imagine taking off Luna taking off around the word to search for whatever crazy creature she wants to find being just what Harry needs.

One of these days I'd like to read a good Hermione/Draco story. I've never gone looking for one because I can't stomach the ocean of shit I would have to wade through first. But the ideological development and character growth necessary to get to the point where Malfoy and Hermione could actually have a relationship seems like it could be interesting. In theory anyway.
For those stories I would suggest Isolation, or Aurlien by Bitt blue eyes

Last edited by Ryriena; 02-14-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Ryriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #42
KGB
Auror

My favorite pairing is Harry/Any warm body.

The fact that Harry being a teenage boy and not taking advantage of his fame to get laid makes him less relatable to me.
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 02-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #43
Anarchy
Heir

DLP Supporter Donor Star
OP of this thread is making me reconsider the fact that Harry/Fleur IS my favorite pairing. Maybe I need to get on the Harry/KatieBell bandwagon.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #44
Ryriena
Second Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
OP of this thread is making me reconsider the fact that Harry/Fleur IS my favorite pairing. Maybe I need to get on the Harry/KatieBell bandwagon.
Same I was going with the Hinny bandwagon just to spite the opening poster.

Last edited by Ryriena; 02-14-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #45
PlainBlack0
Squib

It's up to the author to make the romance worth anything and the fic that did the most for me was Thirty-Five Owls with Dumbledore and Grindelwald.

A well done Draco/Hermione fic would be an absolute treat in my eyes but I've yet to see it.
PlainBlack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #46
Sorrows
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryriena View Post
For those stories I would suggest Isolation, or Aurlien by Bitt blue eyes
Huh, Isolation at least was not that bad as these things go, didn't finish it since it's long as fuck and the author gets pretty over descriptive. Still, I imagine that it's probably one of the more competent attempts of basically all the themes I was looking for (not that that is a high bar to clear). Cheers, @Ryriena, probably sated my curiosity for that particular troupe.

»»------------------¤------------------««
'Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.'
Terry Pratchett

Sorrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #47
The-Hyphenated-One
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I've always enjoyed Harry/Tonks. Too bad the amount of well written stories containing this pairing is dismal. Basically Harry/anyone interesting at this point.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Harry Dresden-Wizard

When an Underscore just won't cut it
The-Hyphenated-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:42 AM   #48
Ryriena
Second Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrows View Post
Huh, Isolation at least was not that bad as these things go, didn't finish it since it's long as fuck and the author gets pretty over descriptive. Still, I imagine that it's probably one of the more competent attempts of basically all the themes I was looking for (not that that is a high bar to clear). Cheers, @Ryriena, probably sated my curiosity for that particular troupe.
No problem, I had to wade through a lot just to get to the gems, I have found.

Last edited by Ryriena; 02-15-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:14 AM   #49
TheBurningBagel
Squib

Maybe slightly controversial, but Ron/Hermoine.

It's the only romantic pairing in the books that felt real, I don't know if that's because the characters work well and are fun to read together, or just because it's pretty much the only pairing that was given time to breathe in the books.

As for non-canon, I have a strange affection for Harry and Luna.

Edit: Also, obvious troll thread.
TheBurningBagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #50
etincelle047
Squib

I don't like any of the canon pairings, but that's JKR and romance (and ron/hermione would crash as soon as Harry wasn't there to play switzerland, or right out of hogwart, when their vastly differing ambitions/life goals would clash).

In fanfics, I'm game for nearly any pairing as long as the story and the characters are solid. I have a fondness for rare character paired with Harry or hermione as it is a sign that the author isn't afraid to take risks and go into unknown territory. Exemple of this are: Hermione/Flint, Hermione/Nott, Harry/Millicent,...
etincelle047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #51
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Out of curiosity - I see a lot of people (not just in this thread, but around) stating confidently that Ron/Hermione would never work in real life, would crash and burn, wouldn't last into adulthood, etc.

How many of you that think that have been in a successful long-term relationship that you expected to lead to marriage? By long-term let's go with 5+ years.

I haven't been in a relationship that long term, but I've got a hell of a lot of friends in their 30s who have. And some of them are as different as Ron and Hermione and just as happy for it. My parents have almost been married 50 years and are like night and day when it comes to things like schoolwork. Now sure, they have things like religion and a desire for children in common.

But how do Ron and Hermione's "life goals" and whatnot differ in such a way you think they couldn't be together? Hell I'd almost say the opposite. Hermione is a go-getter who wants to change the world. She's a moralistic work-a-holic. Ron starts off as an Auror but quits soon after because he probably just wants to enjoy life and take it easy working with his brother. That seems pretty compatible to me. You know what wouldn't seem compatible? TWO work-a-holics, who have similar levels of ambition and drive, because then they'd never have time for each other.

I'm not a huge fan of the ship but I've never understood the dislike of it except from the people who wanted Harry/Hermione instead.

But again, disclaimer. I'm not exactly married myself. I just don't get the hate.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

Last edited by CheddarTrek; 02-16-2017 at 11:22 AM.
CheddarTrek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #52
Lindsey
Unspeakable

Send a message via Skype™ to Lindsey
@CheddarTrek, I agree.

I was a lot like Hermione- studious, a goody two shoes, quite anxious and very career focused. My boyfriend (of almost four years now) is more like Ron. He is hilarious, was never that good in school (preferred working with his hands), likes to enjoy life, not very driven.

It works. He keeps me from becoming incredibly anxious as well making sure I actually enjoy myself and have fun. He doesn't care that I am not 'perfect' and tries to get me to see my good sides and not just my imperfections. I help him become more motivated and I help him improve on certain technical skills.

I couldn't imagine being with someone like Hermione, as our personalities would completely clash. I try to be the best, so having someone very similar would make our relationship a competition and that sounds horrifying. Plus, we would never see each other, have fun and would probably be rich, workaholics that hate life.

This is why my favorite pairings are Ron/Hermione as well as Harry/Ginny. I do think Ginny should have been used more in books 3-5, but I never saw her as being a horrible person.

I actually don't like Fleur and Harry together at all. I dislike the fact that people like her because she is beautiful and foreign. If Fleur was not a veela and not 'drop dead gorgeous' I doubt she would be nearly as popular.
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 02-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #53
Jeremy
Squib

My favorite pairing is no pairing. I'd rather not have romance in the majority of fan fiction I've read.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #54
Paladin
First Year

Sirius/Fleur.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #55
Dkapflzk
Squib

Harry/Hermione because I think Harry is better than Ron
Dkapflzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:25 PM   #56
Ryz
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Sirius/Fleur.
That's just weird with the age difference and all.
Ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 02-16-2017, 11:28 PM   #57
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryz View Post
That's just weird with the age difference and all.
May–December Romance's aren't exactly a new thing.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:30 AM   #58
Ryz
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuitTombee View Post
May–December Romance's aren't exactly a new thing.
Not saying it doesn't happen, but most of those relationships in real life happen with a rich man/woman marrying a very good-looking younger compatriot. I can't see Fleur as described in the books to be with Sirius.
Ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:54 AM   #59
Sauce Bauss
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryz View Post
Not saying it doesn't happen, but most of those relationships in real life happen with a rich man/woman marrying a very good-looking younger compatriot. I can't see Fleur as described in the books to be with Sirius.
You're right, the roguish, motorcycle riding older man from a distinguished family and a criminal record would never appeal to a young, attractive woman seeking validation from someone who she views as more of a peer than someone her own age.

Wait a minute.
Sauce Bauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 AM   #60
Chengar Qordath
Professor
The Final Pony

High Score: 1,802
The bigger issue for me with that pairing is that the two characters never even met in canon, so it feels a bit random.