Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Great Hall > Announcements
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 02-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Scryer: Fanfiction Search Database (Alpha)

Announcing the newest in fiction search, Scryer. Scryer searches stories from FFN in a more powerful way than can currently be achieved with FFN's interface, and does so in a mobile-friendly manner. Scryer supports full-text search on title, author, and summary as well as filtering functions for characters, categories, and other fields.

Please ensure noscript is turned off before attempting use.

http://scryer.darklordpotter.net/

Known issues
None at the moment.

Please leave feedback and bug reports in this thread.

Future work
  • Chrome extension for reading tracking and analytics [soon]
  • Collaborative tagging StackOverflow style
  • Multiple site search (e.g. FicWad, Portkey, AO3)
  • Deeper integration into DLP & DLP Mobile
  • FFN Alert/Fav import for a better 'Update Feed'
  • Daily update summary emails based on the above

Additionally, if you're a programmer, join us in DLP IRC #programming -- Scryer is open-source software built on top of the DLP API, contributions welcome. Scryer is Ruby on Rails and the DLP API is written in Java, and interfaces with ElasticSearch.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
Grubdubdub
Supreme Mugwump

Other features that would be great are WIP/Completed classification, and a last updated/first published filters. The DLP Score integration is by far the best feature, it really is great. Huge thumbs up.

PokemonMaster
Grubdubdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:15 AM   #3
Hero of Stupidity
Groundskeeper
Villain of Sensibility

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,172
I second the WIP/Completed. Maybe like FF the search function should fold itself up after the search is completed. Also I personalyl like to read with black background so maybe a Background change option would be good.

Awesome job.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubdubdub View Post
Other features that would be great are WIP/Completed classification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Stupidity View Post
I second the WIP/Completed.
Already covered in future work, it's 'in progress' but requires a full re-crawl to implement. Should be ready soon.

Quote:
and a last updated/first published filters.
I like that, I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
Maybe like FF the search function should fold itself up after the search is completed.
I've been looking at ways of making this easier to use and to make design sense. It won't be a fold-up, but I have other plans.

Quote:
=Also I personalyl like to read with black background so maybe a Background change option would be good.
You can use stylish if you want, but adding theme support to a search engine is really really far down my priorities list.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
FreakLord
Professor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Also I personalyl like to read with black background so maybe a Background change option would be good..
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hhkmoekeicedej

---------- Post automerged at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Forgot to post, I would like to search using number of chapters too. (chaptercount minimum like wordcount minimum).
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
Photon
Order Member

What is indexed? All stories in Harry Potter category?
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
Grubdubdub
Supreme Mugwump

Running a search with no parameters shows that there are 520,000 stories indexed, about 150,000 less than ffn. Maybe the General genre stories make the difference?

The Lucene Querey Syntax is working very well as far as I tested. Might be nice to add checkboxes for popular searches, such as Azkaban, Veela, -dumbles, Triwizard, and what not.

PokemonMaster
Grubdubdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
Andrela
Mistress of Death
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Thanks for doing this. Thumbs up.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Klackerz
Unspeakable
Bridgeburner

Quote:
Running a search with no parameters shows that there are 520,000 stories indexed, about 150,000 less than ffn. Maybe the General genre stories make the difference?
Only the English stories are shown by default in Scryer. When you check the English stories in ffn, they are matching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
What is indexed? All stories in Harry Potter category?
As Raven said in the OP, currently only HP stories are indexed without any crossover support.

/
Klackerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
KGB
Unspeakable

One feature I'm missing from the FFN options is the time range filters. Being able to filter out old abandoned fic's is a must have.
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 AM   #11
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

01-17-14 Changelog
  • (Fix) Fulltext: Summary/title/author can now contain forward slashes. e.g. 'H/Hr' is now supported.
  • (Fix) Search URL with query params will now perform a search upon load.
  • (New) Sorts: Added a Popular & Recent sort. This is currently a little slow, but mixes activity (reviews, follows, favorites) and recency measures. Combined with filters, this makes it easier to find somewhat interesting fics.
  • (New) Filters: Added a chapter number filter, so you can limit it to say 5-10 chapters.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 AM   #12
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
One feature I'm missing from the FFN options is the time range filters. Being able to filter out old abandoned fic's is a must have.
I agree, I'll add this to my to-do.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
Spanks
Minister for Magic

Let me know if this is dumb or not. I see that it shows the ratings for stories DLP has reviewed and I was wondering if it's possible to rate the stories on Scryer too. That way as we are browsing through our search results we'll see how other readers rated a story. It might also help us find those few fics that are good time wasters, but not good enough to be put up for review on DLP.

Anyway, awesome work, sir.
Spanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 PM   #14
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanks View Post
Let me know if this is dumb or not. I see that it shows the ratings for stories DLP has reviewed and I was wondering if it's possible to rate the stories on Scryer too. That way as we are browsing through our search results we'll see how other readers rated a story. It might also help us find those few fics that are good time wasters, but not good enough to be put up for review on DLP.

Anyway, awesome work, sir.
You can currently see what reviews on DLP are for Scryer results, but I haven't decided if I'll allow rating / upvoting from the Scryer results.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:06 AM   #15
Lord Raine
Disappeared

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Just wanted to let you know that I've used it for all of thirty seconds and I already found a fic I've been trying to re-find after reading it about a year and a half ago.

This is fantastic. I almost want to ask you to get around to making it work beyond the HP section of the site, if only because I've been looking for the very first piece of fanfiction I ever read for a long time, and this would probably find it if anything could.

Amazing work.
Lord Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 02-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #16
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raine View Post
Just wanted to let you know that I've used it for all of thirty seconds and I already found a fic I've been trying to re-find after reading it about a year and a half ago.

This is fantastic. I almost want to ask you to get around to making it work beyond the HP section of the site, if only because I've been looking for the very first piece of fanfiction I ever read for a long time, and this would probably find it if anything could.

Amazing work.
Which fandom are you looking for? I'm currently looking at indexing everything HP crosses with (both the crossovers and non-crossovers), starting with a few smaller ones.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #17
Tommy
Seventh Year
The Green Ranger

Send a message via Skype™ to Tommy
Perhaps the most wanted fandam besides HP is probably Dresden, so that could be a good place to start. Then trickle down to some popular manga, etc.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
PotterFan
High Inquisitor

Naruto should be the next fandom....Definitely Naruto. I need -mpreg and -slash to cut through all the BS.

Blue: No. Fuck no. If my ‘no’ was a pokemon, it’d be a legendary, made entirely out of hyper beams and hate, annihilating entire regions at a time, leaving only blasted craters in its wake, all shaped like the word NO.

The Game of Champions by Lamora
PotterFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 03-05-2014, 02:17 AM   #19
phazer11
Third Year

Send a message via MSN to phazer11 Send a message via Skype™ to phazer11
Dresden Files crossovers and regular fictions would be my next request for inclusion in Scryer.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #20
Lord Raine
Disappeared

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ravenclaw View Post
Which fandom are you looking for? I'm currently looking at indexing everything HP crosses with (both the crossovers and non-crossovers), starting with a few smaller ones.
If you're starting small, it won't be on the list. The very first one I read was a Naruto fic. I remember almost every detail about the story, and by literally any and all standards whatsoever we have today, it was truly objectively horrible. But it was the first one I ever read (and honestly it was so long ago that a lot of the cliches really weren't cliches yet), and I've always been trying to find it again. Plus the author wrote a few other things that weren't bad either. Mostly slice of life and comedy stuff.

Quote:
Dresden Files crossovers and regular fictions would be my next request for inclusion in Scryer.
Quote:
Perhaps the most wanted fandam besides HP is probably Dresden, so that could be a good place to start. Then trickle down to some popular manga, etc.
I'll confess that I haven't actually looked, but I wouldn't have imagined there would have been enough Dresden on fanfiction.net to really be worth filtering. It might be good as a test to see how well Scryer works in other fandoms, but I'm not really sure Scryer would be necessary to search like it would be for some of the larger ones.

Last edited by Lord Raine; 03-07-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Lord Raine is offline   Reply With Quote