Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #61
Tellie571
First Year

I may be mistaken (as I didn't visit DLP on the first of april this year or last year) but I remember the good days when the admins scared the bejeezes out of us when we logged in only to find that our beloved DLP had turned to Equestria MLP, and the year before it was...twilight themed I think.

So yeah, that standard 'fuck you' scare of first of april would be funny to bring back, not sure how you guys can top MLP though...perhaps Drarry or Snarry/Severitus themed...I know my day would be ruined, and any potential boner would swiftly retreat.

I do not suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it.

Anyone within fireball range from my tower is in for a nasty surprise. -Telina Delvanni.
Tellie571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #62
Sir Snuffy
Third Year

Also, anyone in favor of using Discord as the new IRC? I'm sure that most of us use it already for other things. Having a DLP server could possibly bring more people to join in on discussions.
Sir Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #63
Aekiel
Order Member
Angle of Mispeling

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 9,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie571 View Post
I may be mistaken (as I didn't visit DLP on the first of april this year or last year) but I remember the good days when the admins scared the bejeezes out of us when we logged in only to find that our beloved DLP had turned to Equestria MLP, and the year before it was...twilight themed I think.

So yeah, that standard 'fuck you' scare of first of april would be funny to bring back, not sure how you guys can top MLP though...perhaps Drarry or Snarry/Severitus themed...I know my day would be ruined, and any potential boner would swiftly retreat.
We did that this year as well. Took away all identifying markings and let the shitposts commence. It was fun.

On topic, I'd like to see a revamping of the alerts system. The Paradox forums and (I hate myself for saying it) Spacebattles have a pretty good way of alerting you to updates in threads you've been recently browsing/posted in/quoted in. As it is now I barely use alerts because they're multiple clicks away and relatively unobtrusive.
Because you can't, you won't and you don't stop ~ The Beastie Muppets
Steam Profile

Last edited by Aekiel; 04-16-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Aekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #64
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Snuffy View Post
Also, anyone in favor of using Discord as the new IRC? I'm sure that most of us use it already for other things. Having a DLP server could possibly bring more people to join in on discussions.
Well, there are 17 people online in the Discord and 39 online in the IRC. Possibly more in different channels.

Edit: Nor any activity for days until I poked my head in just a bit ago.

Last edited by NuitTombee; 04-16-2017 at 11:45 AM.
NuitTombee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #65
Sir Snuffy
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuitTombee View Post
Well, there are 17 people online in the Discord and 39 online in the IRC. Possibly more in different channels.

Edit: Nor any activity for days until I poked my head in just a bit ago.
There is already a Discord server? Fair enough
Sir Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #66
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
There is already a Discord server? Fair enough
https://discord.gg/VF4qx3R
Old 04-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #67
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Oz
The Discord isn't officially by any means. Also don't see IRC going anywhere tbqh, but we'll see I guess.

<chatter> prophet muhammad peace be upon him was sent to destroy the musical instruments
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #68
enembee
Fourth Year
The Nicromancer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seylliani View Post
Keeping it green is fine, but we should at least try to update the forums looks because the community always needs new members to keep the numbers up, and we don't want people seeing the aged design and leaving by habit.
I maek u best DLP powerd veebulletyn skin, only cost 900 hundred armenian scheckles.

[ Harry Potter and the Vaults of Valbonë ]
enembee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #69
Aekiel
Order Member
Angle of Mispeling

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 9,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by enembee View Post
I maek u best DLP powerd veebulletyn skin, only cost 900 hundred armenian scheckles.
So everyone is Enembee. I do not approve of this.
Because you can't, you won't and you don't stop ~ The Beastie Muppets
Steam Profile
Aekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #70
Seylliani
Sixth Year

Quote:
Get on that JS.
Battle Tag Ryzen#11410
Seylliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:14 AM   #71
Researcher
Second Year

Lightbulb Revision history

I would like to be able to see the revision history for a post. Think of it like the history of a file in a git repository. This would be very helpful in the WbA section to quickly know what's changed in the author's last edit. Don't know if vBulletin edits the entry in the DB, or adds a new entry.

My second suggestion is to get notifications of author activity in a thread. I would like to be able to subscribe to a thread, and only get notifications when the thread starter posts or edits a post. This would be helpful to filter out replies in threads.

Last edited by Researcher; 04-17-2017 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Add new suggestion.
Researcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #72
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
I do like that header. We'll have to see if we can push it forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghiz Khan View Post
I once put forward the idea of Xenforo for DLP; it's the same thing that SV uses, but I think Raven turned it down because too much work. Well, I think unless someone's up to actually doing the work, it's not gonna happen. And it requires a lot of work.
Any migration is a lot of work. I'd like there to be a material return on investment for doing so, though clearly there will be a point where DLP will necessarily need to migrate to stay safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghiz Khan View Post
I'd put forward the request of updating the DLP IRC server software. Unreal 3.2.10.x is EOL now, maybe you might want to migrate the server to 4.x or something?
Sure. I have 4.x sitting on the server, just haven't gone through the process of finishing the upgrade yet.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
The Discord isn't officially by any means. Also don't see IRC going anywhere tbqh, but we'll see I guess.
I know Slack/Discord/etc. are all the new hotness, but those come and go. IRC is eternal, IRC has a plethora of different clients on mobile, desktop, shell, etc.. -- lets people connect their way. I'm not very interested in adopting Discord, but we'll consider it. I personally don't use Discord at all currently, though I gave our DLP Discord a shot. I don't hate it, but I'm not sure it's what I want our official chat to be. That said, if everyone ends up wanting to use it, we'll probably end up taking it over officially. No sense in doubling up efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspeakable Merlin View Post
I would like to be able to see the revision history for a post. Think of it like the history of a file in a git repository. This would be very helpful in the WbA section to quickly know what's changed in the author's last edit. Don't know if vBulletin edits the entry in the DB, or adds a new entry.
vB does store the edit history, but it's only visible to admins. I'll think about it for WBA perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspeakable Merlin View Post
My second suggestion is to get notifications of author activity in a thread. I would like to be able to subscribe to a thread, and only get notifications when the thread starter posts or edits a post. This would be helpful to filter out replies in threads.
Good idea, I'll see what I can do.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #73
Tsar
Third Year

Buy darklordpotter.com so it can used as a redirect.
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #74
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post
Buy darklordpotter.com so it can used as a redirect.
If you've got $1200 knocking around, that's possible.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #75
Seratin
Headmaster
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ravenclaw View Post
If you've got $1200 knocking around, that's possible.
I'd happily donate to such a drive.

EDIT: Actually, while we're on the subject, is there any way to streamline the donation process? The terminology is confusing at times, you do the know what you're paying for how long and I can't remember specifically why but I tend to get pissed off halfway through the process.

Five years ago donating wasn't really an option for me but most of us have more disposable income these days.

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest

Last edited by Seratin; 04-17-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Seratin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #76
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seratin View Post
I'd happily donate to such a drive.

EDIT: Actually, while we're on the subject, is there any way to streamline the donation process? The terminology is confusing at times, you do the know what you're paying for how long and I can't remember specifically why but I tend to get pissed off halfway through the process.

Five years ago donating wasn't really an option for me but most of us have more disposable income these days.
Do you recall what bothers you besides Paypal? It's possible there's something that'd work better these days, I can look into it.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #77
Seratin
Headmaster
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
The subscription thing is ambiguous. It gives you a minimum of two months whereas I'd prefer to donate every month in various amounts depending on available surplus cash.

Also, I'm pretty sure the majority of trouble I have is forgetting my PayPal login so that's not a problem for most people. Maybe it'd be possible to add other services along with PayPal. I hear people talking about Patreon, is that a thing that could work? >_>

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest
Seratin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #78
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seratin View Post
The subscription thing is ambiguous. It gives you a minimum of two months whereas I'd prefer to donate every month in various amounts depending on available surplus cash.

Also, I'm pretty sure the majority of trouble I have is forgetting my PayPal login so that's not a problem for most people. Maybe it'd be possible to add other services along with PayPal. I hear people talking about Patreon, is that a thing that could work? >_>
Given the ubiquity of Amazon, is Amazon Payment Services an option?

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #79
KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!
Order Member
Troll in the Dungeon

High Score: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
Given the ubiquity of Amazon, is Amazon Payment Services an option?
Oh that would be excellent.

Haven't read the whole thread, so it may have been mentioned but.... mayhaps a spoiler html tag hotbutton on the post tool bar? I always mistype /spoiler as /apoiler.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #80
Narf
Administrator
The Sugardaddy of Oz

DLP Supporter Donor Star
The DLP discord isn't really meant as a replacement for IRC. It's not official in any way, I just made it because @Sauce Bauss really wanted it and begged me to make one.

IRC is much better for text communication between large groups -- Discord is optimized for a smaller group of people, imo. It is easier to pick up than IRC, for sure, though. I see it as a replacement for google hangouts and skype calls between members, as Discord's voice chat is better than both by far.

I'm the mother flippin' Rhymenocerous
My beats are fly and the birds are on my back
And I'm horny
I'm horny
If you choose to proceed you will indeed concede
Cos I hit you with my flow
The Wild Rhino Stampede.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up