Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #101
fire
Professor

GIFF THREADMARKS PLZ
Old 04-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #102
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire View Post
GIFF THREADMARKS PLZ
WE HAZ, SOEM AUTHORS JUST TOO LAZY TO TICK THEM ON

Plus, they're called Bookmarks here.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #103
fire
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuitTombee View Post
WE HAZ, SOEM AUTHORS JUST TOO LAZY TO TICK THEM ON

Plus, they're called Bookmarks here.
In all seriousness, I'm aware of what we have in place in WBA. They're excellent, it's just unfortunate that, as you say, authors don't use them (including me, I'm lazy).

I'm thinking more of ordinary forum threads, where threadmarks are incredibly useful for a range of things, e.g.

(1) Keeping track of fics recommended in rec threads.

(2) Keeping track of ideas and snippets in plot bunny threads.

(3) Highlighting significant posts in longer discussion threads.

My 2 cents. Widespread and efficient use of threadmarks is what makes an otherwise unworkably large and disparate forum like Spacebattles into the browsable and relatively user-friendly one it is today.
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 04-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #104
Seratin
Headmaster
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seylliani View Post
If we transition to Xenforo here are some of the nicer looking ones I have found:

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/
https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/
https://www.theory11.com/
As much as I'm loathe to lose the DLP I know I love Xenforo doesn't look that bad I suppose.

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest
Seratin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #105
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire View Post
In all seriousness, I'm aware of what we have in place in WBA. They're excellent, it's just unfortunate that, as you say, authors don't use them (including me, I'm lazy).

I'm thinking more of ordinary forum threads, where threadmarks are incredibly useful for a range of things, e.g.

(1) Keeping track of fics recommended in rec threads.

(2) Keeping track of ideas and snippets in plot bunny threads.

(3) Highlighting significant posts in longer discussion threads.

My 2 cents. Widespread and efficient use of threadmarks is what makes an otherwise unworkably large and disparate forum like Spacebattles into the browsable and relatively user-friendly one it is today.
It's looking like the staff is leaning toward Xenforo if we must move. I'm collecting requirements and migration steps into a Google Doc that I'll publish if we decide to go through with it.

@enembee Your help with styling would be appreciated. I can pay you in user titles. :P @Jon
Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #106
Innomine
Auror

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,500
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
While I can see that there are definite advantages to moving off vbulletin, would it be possible to have some sort of larger discussion thread about it when it comes to it?

I do like the history associated with our current... theme, though I suspect support for it will not be widespread amongst our newer users.
Innomine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #107
Lindsey
Order Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Lindsey
I bet I'm in the minority but I would love a new layout. I would like something a little cleaner and more modern.

I have made hundreds of forum layouts throughout the years, so I know what I like and this has made me incredibly picky. I would suggest making a new modern layout but keeping something similar to this for people to switch to if they wish.
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #108
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

I'll probably end up using a userstyle to change up things anyways if we move to XenForo since it's way easier to customize than vB.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #109
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

I'm all for a new thread layout as long as Anakin stays. Long live Anakin the official DLP mascot.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #110
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter North View Post
I'm all for a new thread layout as long as Anakin stays. Long live Anakin the official DLP mascot.
That's absurd.

Syed is the DLP mascot.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #111
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
That's absurd.

Syed is the DLP mascot.
I would be willing to compromise and have both Anakin and Syed as DLP mascots.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #112
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

@Seratin would like larger editor boxes. For example:

Old 04-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #113
Seratin
Headmaster
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuitTombee View Post
@Seratin would like larger editor boxes. For example:

It's part of an overall proposal I'm putting together for Uservoice but yes, those boxes would be the simplest part of the idea to implement.

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest
Old 04-24-2017, 05:29 AM   #114
Yggur
Squib
The Chthonic Charon

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ravenclaw View Post

Orange: desktop sessions, blue: mobile sessions
Maybe something around our analytics of user behaviour? It's not necessarily something that would be visible to anyone but Raven, but it would potentially help Raven identify the best long-term strategic move?

Not sure if this is in place already, but if we could track where & how users are accessing the site, it would help present feed towards a set of options.
This would then in turn feed into the short-, medium-, and long-term plans (if any).

Even though it's a vBulletin forum, which does have a static structure, it might help improve on navigation/design/etc, on understanding how a user of DLP moves around the site.

Case in point from above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innomine View Post
In fact, my DLP bookmark is set to that page. Makes glancing through to see new stuff very easy.
This would also help future key decision-making about any migrations or cut-overs, as this chart clearly shows a move away from desktop-based browsing, with a stable average mobile user-base.

This may have been a little long-winded - I've had to take over closing a DR design, implementation, & test project, and I've been writing SoWs for the last few weeks.

Note: yes, it has been a bloody long time since I've posted. Suffice to say: a closed mouth gathers no foot.

- Heinlein
Yggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #115
KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!
Order Member
Troll in the Dungeon

High Score: 2,002
This is just a small thing, but can the multiquote, message, and thumb buttons be a little bigger and more spaced out? On mobile I try to press them and my fat thumbs always hit the wrong one. Gotta zoom to like 400% everytime to get it right.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #116
Jon
Administrator
The Ḑ͉͙̫̑̂ͮ̎̍͒̽̉̆̀ͅȇ̱̯̘̖̾͐͐͂͢m̴̢͙̟̤̤̝̍ͫ͂̏̒́͘o̒n

Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHAAAAAAAAAAN!! View Post
This is just a small thing, but can the multiquote, message, and thumb buttons be a little bigger and more spaced out? On mobile I try to press them and my fat thumbs always hit the wrong one. Gotta zoom to like 400% everytime to get it right.
I can quickly and easily make new buttons for posts as an extra skin for mobile devices.

Something like:

"Jon's fics are kinda like children in a way.
Bright, pretty, smart—children that any father would kill to have.
And he just tells them he needs to buy a pack of cigarettes."

—Lungs, 2015
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #117
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innomine View Post
While I can see that there are definite advantages to moving off vbulletin, would it be possible to have some sort of larger discussion thread about it when it comes to it?

I do like the history associated with our current... theme, though I suspect support for it will not be widespread amongst our newer users.
It ain't a cheerocracy, but I'm not opposed to having a discussion. I'll make a new thread for that and leave this thread to other ideas that aren't necessarily specific to any forum tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggur View Post
Maybe something around our analytics of user behaviour? It's not necessarily something that would be visible to anyone but Raven, but it would potentially help Raven identify the best long-term strategic move?

Not sure if this is in place already, but if we could track where & how users are accessing the site, it would help present feed towards a set of options.
This would then in turn feed into the short-, medium-, and long-term plans (if any).

Even though it's a vBulletin forum, which does have a static structure, it might help improve on navigation/design/etc, on understanding how a user of DLP moves around the site.

Case in point from above:

This would also help future key decision-making about any migrations or cut-overs, as this chart clearly shows a move away from desktop-based browsing, with a stable average mobile user-base.

This may have been a little long-winded - I've had to take over closing a DR design, implementation, & test project, and I've been writing SoWs for the last few weeks.

Note: yes, it has been a bloody long time since I've posted. Suffice to say: a closed mouth gathers no foot.
While I don't disagree with the above, I don't think you can say there's necessarily been a huge shift from desktop browsing. There's been a rise in mobile (some mobile only, some mixed: phone in bed + laptop/desktop). I'd guess a significant chunk of lost desktop eyeballs are actually due to uBlock+Ghostery. Adblocks block Google Analytics out of the box, which is where that chart is derived from.

Google Analytics is the tool I use to derive insight into user behavior. It sessionizes user visits and figured out the paths they take through the site. That said, feedback is also helpful direct from users.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:01 PM   #118
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Xenforo discussion moved to https://forums.darklordpotter.net/sh...ad.php?t=36277
Old 04-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #119
bolko7
Second Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Would it be possible to add some new reading functions for users like allowing us to change the size of fonts in topics, styles ect(like reading mode in firefox). And I don't mean for whole forum but only for posts we are reading at the moment.(if we do have this already I am blind and plz someone show me where)

What more I think the biggest issue should be how to make the new system that will help ppl exchange ideas and points of view rather then explain the same shit 20 times. Cuz when I see the arguments about the same thing on page 1,4,20,43 ect I want to take my keyboard and hit someone, read the whole topic or get the fuck out off it. Can we make a system that would give more power to ppl that are active in a discussion so they can moderate it (without mods or god forbid admins) more and stop pages after pages of explaining something that was done on page 3.

Next better remainder about donation would be good too, I didn't donate in years now cuz I learn to ignore most of standard banners on webpages(or add some boobs and dicks to it)

Last not a system change rather user change. More Banning would be good to, there are some many ppl that don't fact check anything and yet they yell how they are right that I want to cry. Can we have some more ban hammers for ppl that when ask about theirs source of info will ignore that request, cuz talking from ones ass should never be a good thing.

PS. And once more sorry for my poor English
bolko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #120
Seratin
Headmaster
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolko7 View Post
Would it be possible to add some new reading functions for users like allowing us to change the size of fonts in topics, styles ect(like reading mode in firefox). And I don't mean for whole forum but only for posts we are reading at the moment.(if we do have this already I am blind and plz someone show me where)

What more I think the biggest issue should be how to make the new system that will help ppl exchange ideas and points of view rather then explain the same shit 20 times. Cuz when I see the arguments about the same thing on page 1,4,20,43 ect I want to take my keyboard and hit someone, read the whole topic or get the fuck out off it. Can we make a system that would give more power to ppl that are active in a discussion so they can moderate it (without mods or god forbid admins) more and stop pages after pages of explaining something that was done on page 3.

Next better remainder about donation would be good too, I didn't donate in years now cuz I learn to ignore most of standard banners on webpages(or add some boobs and dicks to it)

Last not a system change rather user change. More Banning would be good to, there are some many ppl that don't fact check anything and yet they yell how they are right that I want to cry. Can we have some more ban hammers for ppl that when ask about theirs source of info will ignore that request, cuz talking from ones ass should never be a good thing.

PS. And once more sorry for my poor English
I agree 100%. More banning is necessary.

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest