Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #121
Seylliani
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seratin View Post
I agree 100%. More banning is necessary.
I think banning is a bit harsh, and inevitably useless as a person who really wants to talk can just make another account. Maybe a temp-ban system, silence, or even shadow-ban would be more effective.
Battle Tag Ryzen#11410
Seylliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #122
bolko7
Second Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
It can even be a temp topic ban, just to force ppl to read whole thread and do some fact checking. We have to do something about wasting our time and doing work for lazy ppl.
bolko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #123
Red Aviary
Professor
Hogdorinclawpuff

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 2,757
I don't even really know what you're talking about, but I'm absolutely against the concept of shadow banning.
Red Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #124
Zombie
Third Year
The Man Who Cried Coyote

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 2,094
I think the moderators have things in hand. Nothing chaps my dick more than to see some twat come in and mini-mod. We already have one Mini :3 Temp Bans, long bans and other shit has been around for ever. I honestly like DLPs moderating method because ultimately you don't need a whole fucking review panel to determine whose at fault. You get your warning, you get your temp, you keep fucking up you get the permanent hammer.

Additionally, the repetitiveness is probably born from the fact that threads get long and some of the longest threads here are the oldest threads here and have 10 years worth of comments in them (PYP, Second Amendment, TOMD, etc) Nevermind the story threads that get revived every couple of years because one of our newer members discovers it and wants to add something.

So to address what you said, maybe more clear post dates. I like the necro warning we have now for old threads and would like that to continue. Post Dates may help with identifying old comments, or thread limits, if a thread gets to X number of post either the thread auto locks or you have to start a new one and it better be with an interesting standpoint.

Another thing I'd like to see the library refreshed. I'd like Other Fandom more integrated and not the ugly cousin sitting at the end of the table. I'd like to see the sub forums integrated better and not added as an after thought. I'm grateful for the mods and their effort, but with a new forum software, some finesse would be a beautiful thing now that everyone sees how things works and what should stay and what could do with less focus.

I'd also like people's to actually fucking use Patronus Charm.
@Lord Ravenclaw and further Scryer integration would be awesome. Maybe a way to show most clicked threads or stories or searched topics in one of those side panel news feeds. I like that we have a banner for Scryer new. I think better mobile integration and a refresh of the library will do a lot of good.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 PM   #125
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I think the current ban system works fine; don't break the forum laws, otherwise public shaming.

I agree that the fandoms in WBA could be expanded. Dresden got added when that was popular, and it stimulated more writing. Maybe a LotR or ASoI&F one?

Some fandoms ought to remain ugly step children, though. In fact, rename that subforum 'Ugly Step Children'.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #126
Xiph0
Administrator
First Tovarisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seylliani View Post
I think banning is a bit harsh, and inevitably useless as a person who really wants to talk can just make another account. Maybe a temp-ban system, silence, or even shadow-ban would be more effective.
There's automated systems in place that check a bunch of variables. If you're willing to shell out for VPNs/proxies and change them frequently, you might be able to skirt it (it checks some other things as well), but yeah. Definitely not simple.

Anyway, banning/not banning isn't on the table for discussion. If you see something objectionable, as always use the report button at the bottom of the post:
Xiph0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #127
Invictus
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ravenclaw View Post
I will give serious consideration to Xenforo and all the others mentioned, but I think that's perhaps longer term. It would be nice to be on something receiving active updates.
I really like Xenforo, its incredibly handy specially the sleekier and easier to access version SV use. It's also very mobile friend imo. But SV, SB and QQ mods are a fucking joke, SV and their masturbatory system at fake court/roleplaying as a lawyer is a fucking joke and a waste of everyone's time. DLP moderation is direct and to the point. We got mods, some are assholes, you're being annoying and stupid and without a reason, you get kicked, f very much. There.

Last edited by Invictus; 04-26-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #128
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
I really like Xenforo, its incredibly handy specially the sleekier and easier to access version SV use. It's also very mobile friend imo. But SV, SB and QQ mods are a fucking joke, SV and their masturbatory system at fake court/roleplaying as a lawyer is a fucking joke and a waste of everyone's time. DLP moderation is direct and to the point. We got mods, some are assholes, you're being annoying and stupid and without a reason, you get kicked, f very much. There.
You all don't get to see it, but recently we've added a system to syndicate post reports to our notification boxes, and we can log what actions we've taken. Keeps us all on the same page.

But yeah, there's a reason why DLP is as small as it is. It's because we're rather particular about post content and not obsessed with activity over quality of activity. Talk shit, get hit.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #129
bolko7
Second Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
What about this

Quote:
Would it be possible to add some new reading functions for users like allowing us to change the size of fonts in topics, styles ect(like reading mode in firefox). And I don't mean for whole forum but only for posts we are reading at the moment.(if we do have this already I am blind and plz someone show me where)

Next better remainder about donation would be good too, I didn't donate in years now cuz I learn to ignore most of standard banners on webpages(or add some boobs and dicks to it)
bolko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #130
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolko7 View Post
What about this
I did see it. I'm not going to respond to every idea even if I decide to go ahead with them, so there is no need to re-quote and poll for status.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #131
Spanks
Minister for Magic

Raven posted an analytic earlier in the thread showing desktop usage and mobile usage starting to overlap, and someone mentioned that more and more the world is moving to mobile platforms. So, I was wondering if it's at all possible or if it has ever been considered to create an itunes/google app for the forum. I tend to visit the site using my phone's web browser, but it can be a hassle doing so sometimes. I've tried using the iPhone skin, but I'm not a fan of it. I think it would be a lot more convenient to have an app I can open which takes me right to he site. I hope this isn't as shitty an idea as it sounds in my head or if it's even possible :P
Spanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #132
Seylliani
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanks View Post
Raven posted an analytic earlier in the thread showing desktop usage and mobile usage starting to overlap, and someone mentioned that more and more the world is moving to mobile platforms. So, I was wondering if it's at all possible or if it has ever been considered to create an itunes/google app for the forum. I tend to visit the site using my phone's web browser, but it can be a hassle doing so sometimes. I've tried using the iPhone skin, but I'm not a fan of it. I think it would be a lot more convenient to have an app I can open which takes me right to he site. I hope this isn't as shitty an idea as it sounds in my head or if it's even possible :P
A lot of those issues would be fixed by the transition to Xenforo.
Battle Tag Ryzen#11410
Seylliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #133
Seratin
Headmaster
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
There is an app. Xenforo is the better option. If you need to, bookmark the site once the changeover is complete.

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest
Seratin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #134
Zombie
Third Year
The Man Who Cried Coyote

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 2,094
Quote:
There is an app, however, the xenforo mobile site will be better. I'm not familiar with iPhone browsers but Chrome has an ability to pin sites to your desktop and it runs in a slimmed down chrome browser that facilitates site navigation. It's based off the app called Chromer and it fully integrated into Chrome code base from what I can tell. I pin DLP to the desktop and it loads the site without me having to type anything and keeps me signed in based off of browser cookie data. Just a thought
Old 04-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #135
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

The same can be done with Firefox if preferred. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ebsite-android
Old 05-05-2017, 02:55 AM   #136
Researcher
Second Year

Lightbulb Time as variable in thread rating system

Would it be possible to introduce time as an variable in the thread rating (i.e. story rating) system?

The library section contains story ratings from many years back. The problem is that the community's standard have increased a lot over the years, and many stories that got their ratings some years ago doesn't deserve their rating according today's standard.

I'm aware that such a change would make the system more complex, but it would make the story ratings more correct in the user's perspective. The standard will only rise, not fall.

Maybe time is already an variable in the system, but I haven't found any indication of that.

This would make the story ratings to adjust automatically, without the need to people to (re)read all the stories again.
Researcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 05-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #137
Agravaine
Sixth Year

Any chance the Trash Bin could be made visible (even just as a locked archive or in users' post histories)? The stories may not be worthy, but some of the criticism is.
Agravaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 05-23-2017, 06:43 AM   #138
Severus
Sent Back to India

Move all the 3 star rated stories in the Library to Almost recommended.
Severus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:05 AM   #139
Seratin
Headmaster
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus View Post
Move all the 3 star rated stories in the Library to Almost recommended.
You want your local library to dump everything that isn't a bestseller too?

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest
Seratin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #140
Atram Noctem
High Inquisitor

Allow new users to create threads only after a month.