Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Multimedia > Movies, Music and TV shows
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 07-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #521
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
There's a trailer for Guillermo del Toro's latest, The Shape of Water. Looks very interesting - a few shades of Hellboy in there, I feel.

Also an adaptation of The Snowman, by Jo Nesbo. Looks good, and I enjoyed the book, but possibly not one that's going to be essential to see at the cinema.

As for films currently out, I went to War for the Planet of the Apes the other night, and it's really good. A very worthy conclusion to the trilogy.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #522
Celestin
Half-Blood Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post
There's a trailer for Guillermo del Toro's latest, The Shape of Water. Looks very interesting - a few shades of Hellboy in there, I feel.
Only few? If someone told me it's Abe Sapien's origin story, I would probably believe them.

Not that it's a bad thing. And it's nice to have del Toro doing a "monsters" film again.

Bright Official Trailer.

A modern world with its fantasy elements in the open is something that has yet to be done well. While the trailer isn't bad, I doubt the film is going to be more than just enjoyable.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

That Time Archer Met Kingsman.

While it's not going to be as refreshing as the first one, it should be good.

One thing I could complain is subdued Colin Firth's performance. While having Harry back is a good decision since he's a big part of what made the previous film that much enjoyable, if he's going to lack his charm, he could be simply not included.

And why is Pedro Pascal not named in the trailer when it appears he will have more scenes than some that are? Sure, he's not as a big name as they are, but he's hardly an unknown by now.

Psych: The Movie.

That's how you make a proper teaser.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #523
Hugplx
Polymagus

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Man September has both Kingsman and American Assassin, can't fucking wait.

Also, hearing some really horrid reviews for Veleria, but weirdly Rihanna is fantastic? I'll probably still watch, just not in imax. Dude should have retired after Fifth Element...

Find me Overwatching over at BattleNet: Gengar#11497
Hugplx is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #524
Erandil
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugplx View Post
Also, hearing some really horrid reviews for Veleria, but weirdly Rihanna is fantastic? I'll probably still watch, just not in imax. Dude should have retired after Fifth Element...

I wouldn't exactly call it horrible. It looks great and has some cool action scenes though its plot is admittedly nothing special and feels a bit disjointed at times. It's main characters suffer from the same swings in quality with some scenes being really great and others being quite painful to watch.

That said I have to admit I still enjoyed it and as I said the graphical element is quite superb.

And yeah the Rihanna scene is certainly one of the better ones in the movie.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #525
Mutton
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post

Also an adaptation of The Snowman, by Jo Nesbo. Looks good, and I enjoyed the book, but possibly not one that's going to be essential to see at the cinema.

As for films currently out, I went to War for the Planet of the Apes the other night, and it's really good. A very worthy conclusion to the trilogy.
I mean, is that actually an Abe Sapien film? Regardless, looks interesting.
Mutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #526
R. E. Lee
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
Bright Official Trailer.

A modern world with its fantasy elements in the open is something that has yet to be done well. While the trailer isn't bad, I doubt the film is going to be more than just enjoyable.
I thought the trailer looked fantastic, though the fact that it's a Max Landis script gives me pause. I'll definitely start watching it, at the very least.
R. E. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #527
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
Primary feelings coming out of Dunkirk:

- God I'm glad I'm not in the army.

- Or living in 1940.

- Man, drowning is a really terrible way to go.

- I don't want to die.

I will presumably have some more substantial thoughts about the movie itself in due course.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #528
Hugplx
Polymagus

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Everything I've heard has me thinking Nolan made some really interesting stylistic choices.

I'm waiting on seeing it so I can take the old man.

Find me Overwatching over at BattleNet: Gengar#11497
Hugplx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:19 AM   #529
Pure Infinity
Professor

Dunkirk is absolutely amazing. The choice to not delve into the backstory of the characters all that much beyond a few minor details really allowed me to identify with the human experience going on onscreen more than the individual characters themselves.

I think watching this forced me to feel a wider range of emotions than any other movie I've seen this year. The moments of suspense and despair really helped to make the few moments with levity near the end stand out.

Definitely glad I saw it in theater too - this is not a movie I want to watch first on DVD.
Pure Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #530
Mutton
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. E. Lee View Post
I thought the trailer looked fantastic, though the fact that it's a Max Landis script gives me pause. I'll definitely start watching it, at the very least.
Ergh, not a Landis fan
Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #531
Hush
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutton View Post
Ergh, not a Landis fan
I really enjoy listening to him talk. I don't always agree with his opinions but listening to him talk about stories is always captivating. It's good to see someone as passionate about storytelling as he is in the industry.

I might be missing something about him, what's your issue with him?
Hush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #532
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Dunkirk was stunning. Easily Nolan's best work since The Prestige, and a film that really does demand viewing on a cinema screen, not dvd.
Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM   #533
Mutton
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
I really enjoy listening to him talk. I don't always agree with his opinions but listening to him talk about stories is always captivating. It's good to see someone as passionate about storytelling as he is in the industry.

I might be missing something about him, what's your issue with him?
I'm purely talking about his work. It's a very distinctive style which I generally find to be aggregating. I have no clue about his talks or anything..

I recently did a retrospect of Dirk Gently with friends and I realized how little I liked it, that I was forcing myself through because I loved the source material
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #534
Hush
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutton View Post
I'm purely talking about his work. It's a very distinctive style which I generally find to be aggregating. I have no clue about his talks or anything..

I recently did a retrospect of Dirk Gently with friends and I realized how little I liked it, that I was forcing myself through because I loved the source material
It's pretty easy to lay blame down with the writer, but screenplays are fairly barebones when it comes laying out a story. There's a lot of room for loss of interpretation if they aren't strongly involved in the filming process. He's really engaging when he starts describing stories and I genuinely find myself drawn in.

He also admits to making the mistake of selling off a bunch of screenplays and losing control of his stories. The guy has written over a hundred screenplays... he lives for the narrative. He even wrote a Superman comic, Superman American Alien, which across the board got good scores. He changed the way I thought about Superman with his video on his channel Regarding Clark.

I feel like he easily becomes the focus of dislike, which he doesn't always deserve.
Hush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #535
Mutton
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
It's pretty easy to lay blame down with the writer, but screenplays are fairly barebones when it comes laying out a story. There's a lot of room for loss of interpretation if they aren't strongly involved in the filming process. He's really engaging when he starts describing stories and I genuinely find myself drawn in.

He also admits to making the mistake of selling off a bunch of screenplays and losing control of his stories. The guy has written over a hundred screenplays... he lives for the narrative. He even wrote a Superman comic, Superman American Alien, which across the board got good scores. He changed the way I thought about Superman with his video on his channel Regarding Clark.

I feel like he easily becomes the focus of dislike, which he doesn't always deserve.
If you're constantly writing pieces which come out poorly I think it's fair to say I don't like their work, excuses or not.

That said, I did enjoy Channel Zero for the most part which he produced
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM   #536
Johnnyseattle
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Dunkirk was amazing. Once again, Nolan has outdone himself. It's been said here and elsewhere plenty already, but this is one of those rare movies that, if you don't see it in a theater, you're really cheating yourself.

It's really, really fucking loud though. It's intentional I'm sure, but I feel I have to warn people when telling them to see it. Apparently it's caused a few people to walk out of it even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E. Delivery View Post
Neither noticed Neville Longbottom watching them and masturbating furiously.
Johnnyseattle is offline   Reply With Quote