Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 03-03-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
ScottPress
Headmaster
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
Lesser Evils by ScottPress - M

Title: Lesser Evils
Author: ScottPress
Genre: Crime/Drama
Library category: Alternates
Words: 257k
Chapters: 31
Started: 13/10/14
Completed: 08/03/17

Rating: M
Pairing: Harry/Ginny
Links: WBA FFN AO3

Summary: Harry barely escaped the graveyard with his life. Changed by the experience, he faces new challenges and learns that power requires sacrifices. Revenge, doubly so. OotP AU, Crouch Sr. lives.

This fic has now reached a point where I think it can be put up for review based on wordcount, plot content and my confidence that I'll finish it.

A few points to summarize what you can expect:

> Crouch Sr survives year 4 (his presence has consequences, though he's not a major character)
> horcruxes are not exactly the canon version, which is a key factor in why the plot happens the way it does
> the pairing is a background element
> I'm not gonna lie, the summer is long, but stuff happens. Harry learns magic, but I've tried to steer away from the indy summer training genre
> there are quite a few POVs, so the fic is not strictly Harry-centric, but he is the most prominent character

If you decide to read in WBA, relevant posts are bookmarked.

* Checked by Palindrome 08/03/17
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^

Last edited by Palindrome; 03-07-2017 at 07:08 PM.
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
Miner
Seventh Year

I read the prologue, and it just didn't draw me in. Harry's transition from relatively subordinate and reasonable to raging lunatic just didn't appeal to me. If the entire premise is Harry suffering a near-death experience causes him to get angry and begin to take control of his life, then I don't think it was sold well. Harry's suffered multiple near-death experiences by this point, if canon is true up til this point. If you were to completely change his character to the point that Harry becomes more independent and finally strikes back at the Dursleys and figures his shit out, you'd need a vastly different background and mentality than canon Harry. Reading the prologue just made me kind of shake my head a little bit and think, 'Well, this was a bit of an overreaction for canon Harry.'

The writing itself is technically good, but that's all I can really say about that. I won't rate it since I couldn't really get past the prologue.
Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Armani
First Year

Send a message via Skype™ to Armani
The prologue did draw me in, though just not in the way I exactly wanted. You are a good writer, and I can actually see Harry doing that. The whole of Harry's fourth year, I was just waiting for him to break like that, but he didn't, which actually didn't seem realistic at all. The only time that it was remotely like what you wrote, was when he blew up Aunt Marge. This is actually a really realistic story, al, you need to do, is make the transition from Harry to this lunatic Harry more smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner11121 View Post
'Well this was a bit of an overreaction for canon Harry.'
How? What happens if you had a near death experience, it changes you. It makes you see the world in a whole different scope. I can relate to this because I have had a near death experience(drowning), but that is not essentially the same as someone actually wanting murder you and then murdering your companion first. I became a bit paranoid after my experience. So, for me, I can actually see Harry doing this.
Now! Back to the story. Good writing, just make the transition smoother, and you should be good to go!
I would give this a 4.5/5
Old 03-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Miner
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armani View Post

How? What happens if you had a near death experience, it changes you.
It changes your perspective, and the way you behave, to a certain extent, but i got a "major overhaul" kind of vibe from the prologue that i didnt think was realistic.

Granted, my opinion could be totally wrong. Ive certainly never had anyone try to murder me, but i just cringed a little bit with Harry's actions in the prologue.

Maybe the story isnt to my taste. I certainly liked Phantasmagoria more.
Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:32 AM   #5
PWIZDUO
Second Year

Just read this, writing is lacking quality. Lots of inconsistencies in harry abilities. Over the top violent angry harry in the beginning. Trys to kill dumbledore. Quality and story improves towards the latest chapters but this isn't really library material. Almost Recommended to be sure.

rounding up to 3/5
PWIZDUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
Myrrdin Emrys
Disappeared

Good story, Scott. Just flicked through it, and despite what most others say, amazing job. The one thing bugging me is the fact that Harry in the first 2 chapters is... volatile. I get it that the guy had to go through a near-death experience, but the fact still stands that he overreacted. Would like if you toned that down.

I especially like the way Voldemort thinks and plans and how Rufus is portrayed, so points for that as well.

Concluding with the fact that there are no real prose, grammar and/or spelling mistakes, I salute you and your story and happily give you a 4/5, one point taken out for the somewhat sudden change in Harry's personality.
Myrrdin Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
ScottPress
Headmaster
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
I just wanted to say thanks for reading and reviewing, guys. I admit that the beginning is kind of stumbling over itself, BUT... it's not random. I will not say anything because what moron spoils his own story. I'll just say that this is a very much long term project and some plot threads will not be tied up until the very end if, Merlin give me strength, I manage to take it all the way to the conclusion.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
DDragon
Muggle

Loved the last couple of updates. My favourite part of this fic is the multiple points of views from different players in the game. Gives the reader a much bigger scale into the world.

Definitely one of the best WIP currently out there.
DDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 03-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
James
Groundskeeper

I give this 4/5, and I think it has solid place in DLP library and in the top (good?) 1% of fanfiction.

The best thing about this are the characters - good interpretation of Dumbledore, great Sirius, good secondaries in form of Podmore and Mulciber, and even the occasional glimpse of Mal was great. The world building, the characterisation of shadier parts of HP world, I loved those as well.

There are couple things that stop me from giving this top marks, and those are mostly subjective things that diminished my enjoyment of the read through a bit.

At places, the prose is a touch too purple, going above the line from dramatic to melodramatic. Some of the plot threads should have been closed already, and one or two should not have been opened at all. Right now, I feel the first part of (hopefully) trilogy tried to do slightly too much, and while it mostly succeeded, cutting down some of the things would make the others stand out a bit more, I think.

The killing of Ron and Ginny was a bit lost in the whole assault scene, the revelation of what Harry really did to Ginny was completely unnecessary.

I am not sure how I feel about the spygirl plotline; It wasn't bad per se, but I feel there was a bit too much of it in the book 1, since there was no resolution yet (and probably won't be till the last book

Altogether good read, thank you for writing this and congratulations for finishing a book, Scott.

Tags
alternate universe, author: scott press, author: scottpress, crime, drama, harry potter, harry/ginny, sirius black