Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Real Life Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 06-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #4001
Menace
Minister for Magic

@CheddarTrek In my experience I never use the cheat sheets I write during the tests I write them for. Either I know the answer without having to glance at the cheat sheet, or it's not something I wrote down. I might just be awful at putting together cheat sheets, or it might be that I'm only allowed to bring them when I don't really need them. God knows I could have used a cheat sheet for my dates test in AP US History.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #4002
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
TOMD: See, I had a bus ticket in my pocket when I left home and keys in a zipped pocket in the backpack. Took the bus to work. Finished at 7pm (still hot) and went for my wallet to retrieve the return ticket. Cue panic, because the wallet isn't there. Did I lose it? Fuck, did someone swipe it from me on the bus? How the fuck could I not have felt someone unzipping the backpack and then unzipping the inner pocket to take the wallet and then zipping it all back up? I wasn't wearing headphones, but I was reading my Kindle, so I was distracted.

Phone says it's a 2,6 mile walk back to the flat, in sweltering heat and I'm in bad shape. I made it back in 40 minutes - fastest I've ever walked without just running. Get home, sweating like Niagara falls, barrel into the room - wallet is sitting on the desk. Overwhelming relief. But I spent almost an hour freaked out of my fucking mind.

And my room's door handle is busted. Fuck today.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^

Last edited by ScottPress; Yesterday at 06:35 AM.
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 4 thumbs up
Old 06-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #4003
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrela View Post
TOMD: Went to the attic to clean my bicycle for the summer, turns out it was stolen. Heh, good thing it wasn't new so it's not like I'm losing a fortune here. Still, it'll be a pain to get a new one.
...from your attic? How did no one notice before now?

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #4004
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
Attic in a block of flats I'm guessing? Like a basement, but upstairs. I've had a bike stolen from a basement.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #4005
Joe's Nemesis
Order Member
High Score: 2,058

High Score: 2,058
Just finished putting together my first asynchronous online course. It's . . . interesting.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 PM   #4006
Andrela
Dark!Andrela
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
Every flat in the building shares the same attic and everyone has the key.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:27 PM   #4007
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrela View Post
Every flat in the building shares the same attic and everyone has the key.
So more of a storage unit. Attic makes me think of the space in the roof of a house, and I had the image of a burglar walking through your house carrying a bicycle and no one noticing.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM   #4008
Paranoid Android
Groundskeeper

TOMD: Last exam was today. Let me tell you I prepared bigly! Now I'm celebrating bigly.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #4009
The Pro
Third Year

Just got back from a graduation ceremony. Was guest speaker there, and damn did they receive me well. Really enjoyed the ceremony overall.
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #4010
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pro View Post
Just got back from a graduation ceremony. Was guest speaker there, and damn did they receive me well. Really enjoyed the ceremony overall.
Congrats!

What kind of graduation ceremony was it? Your profile says you're 16, which seems young to be the guest speaker for a graduation ceremony. Unless you're really super awesome and we don't know it. Or unless I'm missing something.

But that's awesome - feels good yeah? Sounds like you knocked it out of the park and you (and they) know it. *fistbump*
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM   #4011
The Pro
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post
Congrats!

What kind of graduation ceremony was it? Your profile says you're 16, which seems young to be the guest speaker for a graduation ceremony. Unless you're really super awesome and we don't know it. Or unless I'm missing something.

But that's awesome - feels good yeah? Sounds like you knocked it out of the park and you (and they) know it. *fistbump*
It was for sixth grade students (primary school here). And yeah, totally awesome. *returns fistbump*
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #4012
Lyndon Eye
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
As an aside, if one were in need of learning a great deal of Arabic fast, how would one proceed?
You don't. It takes a couple weeks to learn the alphabet, and two years of full-time study to reach professional proficiency. Fortunately, expectations are low, and most of the upper crust will speak English. Dubai also has an enormous expat community, so you'll get around just fine without arabic. Just memorize the greetings, and people will be delighted by you! (for instance... tell your interviewers eid mabrouk this weekend for the end of Ramadan).
Lyndon Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM   #4013
Wildfeather
Seventh Year

High Score: 2,011
Send a message via AIM to Wildfeather Send a message via MSN to Wildfeather Send a message via Yahoo to Wildfeather Send a message via Skype™ to Wildfeather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Eye View Post
You don't. It takes a couple weeks to learn the alphabet, and two years of full-time study to reach professional proficiency. Fortunately, expectations are low, and most of the upper crust will speak English. Dubai also has an enormous expat community, so you'll get around just fine without arabic. Just memorize the greetings, and people will be delighted by you! (for instance... tell your interviewers eid mabrouk this weekend for the end of Ramadan).
This. Just tell every muslim you meet "selama ashala'nore" and you'll be totally in. If that doesn't work, you could try "salaam alaikum" and the response is "alaikum salaam" (transliterations may vary dependent on dialect).

Skinny on other words:

Inshallah - God willing/ If it is the will of God

Mashallah - expression of gratitude/joy when something has occurred (because it is the will of God)

Alhamdulilah - An expression to praise God.

Wildfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM   #4014
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
If you ever promise to do something you have zero intention of actually doing, follow it up with 'inshallah'.

You'll blend in fine.

Old Today, 09:56 AM   #4015
Oment
Minister for Magic
The Betrayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfeather View Post
This. Just tell every muslim you meet "selama ashala'nore" and you'll be totally in. If that doesn't work, you could try "salaam alaikum" and the response is "alaikum salaam" (transliterations may vary dependent on dialect).
I just know this from World of Warcraft (of all things), can I get a double-check on this actually being a thing in Arabic?

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #4016
Wildfeather
Seventh Year

High Score: 2,011
Send a message via AIM to Wildfeather Send a message via MSN to Wildfeather Send a message via Yahoo to Wildfeather Send a message via Skype™ to Wildfeather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oment View Post
I just know this from World of Warcraft (of all things), can I get a double-check on this actually being a thing in Arabic?
It is not a thing in arabic.

Wildfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old Today, 01:42 PM   #4017
KGB
Unspeakable

Since it's the midsummer and I'm from the part of the world that has the tradition of getting drunk as hell on it I went around all my old haunts to see if something is happening.

And all of the dive bar's of my youth have turned into high end restaurants. Fuck if there is nothing like finding a 50eur a plate steak restaurant where you used to get cheap by the meter bear when you were 16.
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up