Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Politics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #701
ElMarquis
First Year
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Great Britain
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolko7 View Post
Just a side note, current negotiation has nothing to do with trade or anything. Hell they even are not about UK. EU needs to show force, and as Brussels politicians are so arrogant they will say and do everything to show that they have power.
Britain should be showing force. Send a carrier battle group or a couple of heavy surface units to go and pay a visit, to 'show the flag' as it were.

Oh wait!

We have no available heavy surface units, no carrier battle group, and one carrier docked in Rosyth, half the crew have resigned from the RN, and it has no aeroplanes to fly off it anyway. AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!

ElMarquis.
ElMarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #702
Sesc
Moderator
Slytherin at Heart
 
Sesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hbg., Germany
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,944
Yes. And this is the EU referendum thread, so what the fuck? Stay on topic.
__________________
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

________________________________
FF.net :: By That Last Candle's Light :: The French Affair :: Unatoned


I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #703
ElMarquis
First Year
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Great Britain
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesc View Post
Yes. And this is the EU referendum thread, so what the fuck? Stay on topic.
Sorry. Just commenting that the former usual method of exerting British influence was a battleship/carrier battle group, we'd send them to host political and diplomatic events aboard.

In such a situation as this, a ship would go into a foreign harbour where trade talks, diplomacy and the exerting of pressure would occur. The Navy was as much a force of diplomacy, and thereby politics as it was a military force.

My point being that when negotiating treaties, trade deals or suchlike, Westminster would reach straight for the phone to the naval attaché in that country, and for the First Sea Lord, dispatching a ship/the Royal Yacht to go and pay a visit. It allowed back-room dealings with foreign politicians and diplomats to get a more advantageous negotiating position for our diplomats to get Britain a more advantageous deal.

ElMarquis.
ElMarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #704
blob
Third Year
 
blob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 109
Not sure if it's just a random historic factoid, or you're actually serious that UK should send a carrier group near, uh... Belgium? to help with Brexit talks?

I mean, it's not exactly 18th century any longer, and Europe isn't likely to line up to grovel and slobber on the knob if some ships from UK arrived at their ports.
__________________
The Web interprets censorship as damage and routes around it
blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #705
ElMarquis
First Year
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Great Britain
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by blob View Post
Not sure if it's just a random historic factoid, or you're actually serious that UK should send a carrier group near, uh... Belgium? to help with Brexit talks?

I mean, it's not exactly 18th century any longer, and Europe isn't likely to line up to grovel and slobber on the knob if some ships from UK arrived at their ports.
If it were just Belgium, we might increase participation in NATO exercises with the Belgian Navy, send a warship to a Belgian port to host local and national dignitaries for pink gin and a few hours of talking about How Great the British Empire Is (for is, see Was).

The whole EU would be a bit more complex, but there was a time when the backbone of European military aviation was British. Sea Fury, Spitfire, Seafire, Sea Hawk, Sea Venom, blah blah blah. We would quietly postulate on the increased cost of spares to keep the aircraft going, and the large quantity of ex-RN warships in European hands (the Germans had British frigates, the Dutch had a British carrier, the French had a British carrier, British Lancaster heavy bombers).

If someone didn't politely agree to our terms, general methodology was a cold yet polite distance, a slight hitch in the price of British products and slightly lowered priority for new toys.

Nowadays the Saudi Air Force gets such high priority (for priority, read OIL) that we divert aircraft from RAF service to the Saudis.

ElMarquis.

P.S - I'm sure many of you are horrified at Britain's imperialist profiteering and use of leverage. It's called politics.
ElMarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #706
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real
 
Taure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Posts: 885
DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
It's not just Britain's reduced military budget that prevents us from using gunboat diplomacy. It's also the fact that the world has moved on since the 1800s and we would quickly find ourselves diplomatically isolated.
__________________

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #707
ElMarquis
First Year
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Great Britain
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
It's not just Britain's reduced military budget that prevents us from using gunboat diplomacy. It's also the fact that the world has moved on since the 1800s and we would quickly find ourselves diplomatically isolated.
"Vanguard became the flagship of Admiral Sir Arthur Power, Commander-in-Chief of the Mediterranean Fleet, on 1 March 1949, and the ship made port visits to Algeria, France, Italy, Cyprus, Libya, Lebanon, Greece and Egypt.

"made port visits in Genoa and Villefranche-sur-Mer"

"making port visits to Oslo and Kristiansand in Norway and Helsingborg in Sweden. She was inspected on 11 July by King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden before returning home later that month"

Some brief excerpts from the life of Britain's last battleship, Vanguard. It would seem that she was more a tool of diplomacy than of war...

"Belfast arrived in Singapore on 16 December 1959, and spent most of 1960 at sea on exercise, calling at ports in Hong Kong, Borneo, India, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), Australia, the Philippines and Japan. On her final foreign commission Belfast joined a number of exercises in the Far East, and in December 1961 she provided the British guard of honour at Tanganyika's independence ceremony in Dar-es-Salaam."

"The ship left Singapore on 26 March 1962 for the UK, sailing east via Hong Kong, Guam and Pearl Harbor, San Francisco, Seattle, British Columbia, Panama and Trinidad."

Plus there's This.

Gunboat diplomacy still existed in well into the second half of the 20th century. Just because you didn't (American style) actually sail into someone's harbour and blow away their ships/defences/anything else, didn't mean that the gentle reminder of sea power couldn't be used as a force of persuasion.

ElMarquis.
ElMarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #708
calutron
Auror
 
calutron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMarquis View Post
"Vanguard became the flagship of Admiral Sir Arthur Power, Commander-in-Chief of the Mediterranean Fleet, on 1 March 1949, and the ship made port visits to Algeria, France, Italy, Cyprus, Libya, Lebanon, Greece and Egypt.

"made port visits in Genoa and Villefranche-sur-Mer"

"making port visits to Oslo and Kristiansand in Norway and Helsingborg in Sweden. She was inspected on 11 July by King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden before returning home later that month"

Some brief excerpts from the life of Britain's last battleship, Vanguard. It would seem that she was more a tool of diplomacy than of war...

"Belfast arrived in Singapore on 16 December 1959, and spent most of 1960 at sea on exercise, calling at ports in Hong Kong, Borneo, India, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), Australia, the Philippines and Japan. On her final foreign commission Belfast joined a number of exercises in the Far East, and in December 1961 she provided the British guard of honour at Tanganyika's independence ceremony in Dar-es-Salaam."

"The ship left Singapore on 26 March 1962 for the UK, sailing east via Hong Kong, Guam and Pearl Harbor, San Francisco, Seattle, British Columbia, Panama and Trinidad."

Plus there's This.

Gunboat diplomacy still existed in well into the second half of the 20th century. Just because you didn't (American style) actually sail into someone's harbour and blow away their ships/defences/anything else, didn't mean that the gentle reminder of sea power couldn't be used as a force of persuasion.

ElMarquis.
A point without a point. Threatening war hasn't gone anywhere, although between equal powers the kind of gun boat diplomacy you reference would be laughable, even in 1850.
calutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #709
ElMarquis
First Year
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Great Britain
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by calutron View Post
A point without a point. Threatening war hasn't gone anywhere, although between equal powers the kind of gun boat diplomacy you reference would be laughable, even in 1850.
It's not so much the threat of war, but a carrot-stick thing. We can either be problematic for you, or being your best buddy.

A postwar Anglo-French-Israeli alliance trampled all over Nasser's rabble before Eisenhower made his decision to prop up a Soviet puppet state. (Did anyone check if at some point in his military career that he'd hit his head on something?).

A Franco-American alliance allowed France to take the whole Indo-China (Vietnam) mess and neatly dump it in someone else's lap, a just retaliation for E's Suez thing.

An Anglo-Dutch alliance got Britain fighting in Indonesia against Indonesian nationalists and insurgents.

Gunboat diplomacy goes both ways too. How many times do we remember Soviet Sverdlov class cruisers visiting British ports..? It was a good few occasions.

The gun part in gunboat diplomacy has probably been most often done by the USN, remembering back to some work done by them in the Pacific and the Mediterranean, opening Japan to trade and 'requesting' that the corsairs of the Barbary Coast keep the grubby paws to themselves.

Gunboat diplomacy was also used against the slave trade. The deployment of a warship to interdict slaves, as well as one to 'visit' harbours of those still trading was useful.

ElMarquis.
ElMarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #710
Sesc
Moderator
Slytherin at Heart
 
Sesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hbg., Germany
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMarquis View Post
P.S - I'm sure many of you are horrified at Britain's imperialist profiteering and use of leverage. It's called politics.
No. I'm horrified you continued posting off-topic after I told you to stop. Have an official warning.

This is really, really not going to be derailed into a discussion about Britain sending the Navy it apparently doesn't have to conquer Brussels.
__________________
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

________________________________
FF.net :: By That Last Candle's Light :: The French Affair :: Unatoned


I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #711
Garden
Minister for Magic
 
Garden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,250
I'm confused. If the UK now has a near hung Parliament and the Brexit Referendum was won by a narrow margin anyways, are there any parties demanding another go at the Referendum?


Or has so much of the predicted/supposed economic damage of Brexit already been done because of reduced confidence in Britain that it's not worth it to try to prevent Brexit anymore?


I guess I'm asking: how certain is Brexit given the massive losses the Tories faced?
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #712
Shinysavage
Death Eater
Madman With A Box
 
Shinysavage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 943
High Score: 2,296
The Liberal Democrats campaigned almost primarily on the idea of offering a second Brexit referendum, and landed twelve seats total, which was admittedly an improvement over the last election.
__________________
“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”
Shinysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #713
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real
 
Taure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Posts: 885
DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
Quote:
The Liberal Democrats campaigned almost primarily on the idea of offering a second Brexit referendum, and landed twelve seats total, which was admittedly an improvement over the last election.
To clarify for technical correctness: the Lib Dem policy is not a re-run of the referendum per se, but rather to have a referendum on the Brexit deal once it is negotiated. That way people can vote for a specific Brexit vs a specific remain in the EU option (assuming the EU allows us to withdraw article 50).
__________________

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 06-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #714
Oment
Minister for Magic
The Betrayer
 
Oment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,369
The Lib Dems were also eviscerated in the last election, and while you may cynically say that voters have the attention span of proverbial gnats, it takes time to rebuild from such a place. The election being now, while the coalition government is still pretty fresh in people's memory, didn't help either.
__________________
Curse my sudden but inevitable betrayals.

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scottish Independence Referendum Carmine Politics 112 02-15-2013 05:04 AM
Cameron's E.U. Referendum? happilyeverafter Politics 66 02-14-2013 01:33 PM
British Slang? Hashasheen FanFic Discussion 34 11-13-2009 01:52 PM
Businessman wins EU referendum bid Khorne Politics 18 06-18-2008 10:03 AM
If you're British (or Australian). BioPlague General Discussion 11 07-23-2007 06:30 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2016 DLP Group. All rights reserved.
No personal intellectual property on this site may be used without the credit and express permission of the respective authors.