Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Multimedia > Movies, Music and TV shows
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 03-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #21
Legend3381
Slug Club Member

It might just be that the show does not live up to the high bar set by the other 3. The script and the plot did not do the character real justice. The guy who played Laros Tyrell in GOT is the main character and he could not bring the character to life.

The women though are pretty good. Colleen and Joy are excellent.
Legend3381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #22
BTT
Unspeakable

I dunno. It's not an amazing show by any means but I think it's fairly okay. I'm starting episode 7 and while I agree about the complaints about the main character and the action scenes I'm enjoying it.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #23
Legend3381
Slug Club Member

i just had high expectations and feel let down. Hopefully they can rebound from this. I heard electra is going to be in the defenders. She would have made a much better bad guy then the one they have now.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #24
deyas
Fifth Year

Yeah, if you look at RottenTomatoes and see the 18% score (or whatever it is now) you might get a little frightened. But that doesn't really tell the whole story. If you look right underneath that, at the numeric score for critics, which is sitting at about 4.5/10, you get a clearer picture. And I'd have to say, that's right about where I'd put it.

Only a slightly spoilerish review.

It's not atrocious by any means, but especially when considering the high quality of the other three, it's a pretty huge letdown. The dialogue is pretty terrible at parts, the pacing is unforgivably slow, and the fight choreography is not anywhere near the quality it needed to be for this show in particular. But more than that, it's just boring. In particular the first six episodes. People are defending that, by saying that the other three Marvel Netflix shows started with a "slow burn." Which is somewhat fair, but the primary difference being that we were actually seeing character progression during that point of those shows. Six episodes in, and Danny is basically still the same naive man-child he was in the first five minutes. It feels like a good deal of the "progression" we saw in the first six episodes, should have been condensed down to about two. And then maybe had the arc wherein Danny has to reclaim his company last longer than half an episode.

I'm still enjoying it, mind, but I'm not at all sure I would be if the other three Netflix Marvel shows weren't among my all time favorite seasons of television.

Last edited by deyas; 03-18-2017 at 05:44 PM.
deyas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #25
R. E. Lee
Seventh Year

I just started episode 7, and I actually quite like this show. I think Danny's characterization is about what you'd expect from someone who spent fifteen years living in a monastery of warrior monks as a child. He's trying to come home, but his memories of home are a kid's, giving him the same weird mixture of child-like wonder/fish-out-of-water and deadly competence that Starlord had in Guardians of the Galaxy.

First episode is a bit choppy, and second episode was limited by its framing device, but from third through sixth I thought it got better every episode, with plot progressing at a good clip. Dialogue was a bit cheesy, but most of it gets better after a few episodes. Fight scenes are different from the other Defender series, but when you understand that its inspiration is '70s karate B-movies, rather than blaxploitation or film noir, it makes sense. Not worse, just different.

It's not the best show ever, but it's definitely above average. I think reviewers went it wanting to dislike it, and thus did. People who compare it unfavorably to the other Defenders series, well, I don't think anyone likes all of them equally or in the same way, but I also think people also have slightly selective memory when it comes to those. Despite liking all of them, I think that Jessica Jones dragged in the middle, Luke Cage started strong but definitely ran out of steam somewhere in the second half, and Daredevil season two was forgettable when Frank Castle wasn't on the screen. You can say you liked some of those better than Iron Fist, but to say it's not on the same general level is unfair.
R. E. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #26
Legend3381
Slug Club Member

I just finished all 13 episodes.

My issues:
1. Terrible antagonists. There is no real big bad guy like killgrave or Fisk , instead 3 bad guys poorly written and acted. The hand look like some angry teen gang instead of a ancient and power order. They should have borrowed some of DD's ninjas, that would have been better
2. Acting from the main character is pretty bad. He never embodies the character like DD, JJ, LC did.
3. Script is poorly written, filled with cliche lines, plot holes, and under/ poorly developed characters.
4. Action is poorly choreographed. Bad guys do a lot of standing around and waiting for their turn to get kicked. The fighting does not flow. It is also obvious when they cut into a stunt double.

The Good
1. The women leads are all good. The 3 main women makes the series watchable.
2. Joy and colleen are HOT!!!!
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 03-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #27
Caledfwlch
DA Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. E. Lee View Post
I think Danny's characterization is about what you'd expect from someone who spent fifteen years living in a monastery of warrior monks as a child.
I really liked the show, but I have to disagree with this part. Danny's emotional instability isn't at all realistic for someone who spent the last fifteen years meditating and fighting with monks.

My only other issue with the show is that the plot is all over the place, especially with regards to the business, but overall I liked it better than Daredevil.
Caledfwlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #28
Starwind
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend3381 View Post
I just finished all 13 episodes.

My issues:
1. Terrible antagonists. There is no real big bad guy like killgrave or Fisk , instead 3 bad guys poorly written and acted. The hand look like some angry teen gang instead of a ancient and power order. They should have borrowed some of DD's ninjas, that would have been better
2. Acting from the main character is pretty bad. He never embodies the character like DD, JJ, LC did.
3. Script is poorly written, filled with cliche lines, plot holes, and under/ poorly developed characters.
4. Action is poorly choreographed. Bad guys do a lot of standing around and waiting for their turn to get kicked. The fighting does not flow. It is also obvious when they cut into a stunt double.

The Good
1. The women leads are all good. The 3 main women makes the series watchable.
2. Joy and colleen are HOT!!!!

Great reasoning. The Coleen plot was the most predictable one, typical badass female love interest. Claire was shoehorned in and they finally had a chance to connect it a bit before Defenders, but no, Claire dosent mention any of the superhero friends she knows.

The storyline was good, the last episode was a bit rushed and the pacing of the first few was iffy but the story was much better than Luke Cages and didnt repeat itself like Jessica Jones.

I say Daredevil is still the best, but this is a solid show.

Starwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #29
LittleChicago
Death Eater

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I hate-watched the first two episodes through scotch-coloured glasses with a buddy. We started by pretty much tearing into everything.

By the third ep, I was actually enjoying myself. No, it's not Grade-A TV like daredevil Season 1, it's not great but... it is *entertaining*. I enjoyed the shit out of the fight scenes - which, admittedly, there needed to be more of - even though they don't reach DD's level, and yes, Danny's characterization is weak. But I found myself laughing and actually looking forward to the next ep, two things that didn't happen while I was watching JJ (which I still haven't finished - subject matter was just too heavy for me).

In all, no, not great, not up to the usual Netflix standard, but about on par with a goofy network show.

- Jim Butcher

LittleChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #30
Jon
Administrator
The Ḑ͉͙̫̑̂ͮ̎̍͒̽̉̆̀ͅȇ̱̯̘̖̾͐͐͂͢m̴̢͙̟̤̤̝̍ͫ͂̏̒́͘o̒n

Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
I couldn't get over Dandy being a complete retard from the first few episodes.

I tried, I really did.

FFN Profile || WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB || Patronus

"Jon's fics are kinda like children in a way.
Bright, pretty, smart—children that any father would kill to have.
And he just tells them he needs to buy a pack of cigarettes."

—Lungs, 2015
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 03-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #31
Hush
Third Year

Why is Danny so bipolar for a kid who has been trained as a monk for 15 years? He shouldn't be exploding as often as he does...

I was actually surprised at some of the crazy and brutal shit that happens in this one. I thought it was enjoyable but it became clear that some of the fight scenes were a bit rushed and the Finn Jones didn't have as much time to train and prepare himself. Prime example was that his super hero bod is probably the most achievable one on screen to date...
Hush is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 03-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #32
sairafius
Squib

I'm sorry to say it but I truly hated Iron Fist with the fury of a thousand burning suns.

It's not that surprising though because I've hated everything except Daredevil. I liked Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's abilities but I hated the characters and their shows.

Angst and drama just doesn't do it for me and I especially hate the whole reluctant or messed up hero angle.
sairafius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #33
funkytoad
Fourth Year

I recently finished episode 7, and can someone explain to me why

the Rand board of directors think they can oust Danny/Joy/Ward just like that? Danny literally owns 51% of the company and can fire all of them.
funkytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:15 PM   #34
Legend3381
Slug Club Member

Its a major plot hole. They did it for the sake of doing it without putting any thought into how.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 03-30-2017, 06:10 PM   #35
Corvus Black
Seventh Year

Easily the weakest of the Netflix bunch. The story was rushed at some points and painfully slow at others. Inconsistent all around, plot and character wise.

Pretty sure we only saw the actual Iron Fist half-a-dozen times as well, and it was unimpressive at that.

And for a show about the greatest warrior of a realm of warriors, they really didn't do Danny justice.
Corvus Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #36
八十八
Squib

Ward was the only character I cared about. I could have cared about Joy, but unfortunately for her she was stuck in a different show for most of the season.
八十八 is offline   Reply With Quote