Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Dark Arts
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #41
Portus
Heir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
Interesting. When I'm writing, I shorten names as well and do search-and-replace. DD for Dumbledore, HH for Hermione, MM for McGonagall, etc. I expand on first opportunity, though. (It's hard to read for pacing and cadence when you don't have all the syllables in front of you).

Back on topic: This is my favorite Marauders story, full stop. They're nasty, just like they should be, and I was entranced by the story concept and execution. I particularly liked BajaB's portrayal of a dark Sirius--it's a very refreshing change from his fanon self, which often amounts to a boring knock-off of one of nonjon's characterizations.

5/5 from me.

p.s. alex_malfoi: You should read more BajaB. He's among the most creative and prolific writers in the fandom.
I was speaking more of when I'm typing a reply here at DLP with the D'dore thing, but you make an excellent point about DD, HH, etc. when typing out the story you're writing. I write mostly longhand, which gives me time to think, but even when transcribing that to the computer, I could definitely use that find-replace function more so than I do now.

As for the story, I thought I'd already posted that it was excellent. It's been a bit since I read it, but I remember thinking it wasn't over the top as far as the skill level of James, Sirius and Remus. Yes, it was far and away better than anyone we've seen as a student or recent student at Hogwarts, but they were supposedly gifted and smart. Perhaps kind of like Hermione with a real nasty streak, if she spent time looking for trouble instead of having it find her as a result of being Harry's friend. And remember, those guys were supposedly at least as talented as Snape, and that asshole was inventing spells before leaving school.

Anyway, I'm not a real fan of Marauder fics, just like I'm no fan of James/Lily fics, since the outcome is pretty much set unless you go completely off the reservation into a Potters Live AU, but this story, like almost all BajaB's stories, was well-written and fun to read. I hesitate to give a rating unless I go back and read it through again, though.
Portus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #42
sincostan
High Inquisitor

The goblins shouldn't allow them to access the vault. Parts are a little unbelievable, though the author could systematically go through and clean it up. I'm surprised they killed Snape and kept Peter.

I like the bit of Hemingway in there. Couldn't figure it and had to look it up.

4/5, definite keeper.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #43
Richard
Supreme Mugwump

Story was great. I didn't want to read it the first time when it was reviewed, but I read it some time after that, and very much loved it. I'd give it a 5/5.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #44
jjack1003
Second Year

when I first read the summary, I thought it would be bad, but I read it and enjoyed it very much.

definitely a 5/5
I really hope there is a sequel or even a prequel to this story
jjack1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #45
mknote
Disappeared
1/3 of the Note Bros.

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Let me say that I find the writing in this story very well done. The plot is intriguing and well thought-out. The characters are three-dimensional and interesting. This has all the makings of a solid 4.5/5 from me.

But I cannot, in good conscience, give it above 2.5/5.

Frankly, I'm somewhat disturbed by the fact that everyone who has been singing the praises of this story has failed to point out the fact that the "heroes" of the story murdered a one-year old in cold blood. I am referring to Draco Malfoy, and while it isn't explicitly stated, it does say that there were two Killing Curses fired off after Lucius died, and Narcissa and Draco were the only other two present.

Now, I know that Draco Malfoy is not well-liked on DLP, but come on! The boy is one-year old! He hasn't developed that hateful personality, and given his parent's deaths, if he were placed in a good household, he never would. He was killed solely because his father was a Death Eater. And it is also stated that many other families of Death Eaters died that night, implying that several more children were killed by our supposed heroes. I know that this was to show just how off the deep end the Marauders had gone, and I could accept it if somewhere in the story somebody said, "What the fuck? That's just wrong." But no! As far as the story is concerned, it is a perfectly reasonable and righteous thing to do. And I'm just as disturbed that nobody here seemed to want to point out this little act was wrong. You don't honestly believe that they were doing the right thing, do you?

With my piece said, I've marked my score as 2/5 for this story.
mknote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #46
Grubdubdub
Supreme Mugwump

I believe the term is anti-hero.

PokemonMaster
Grubdubdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #47
happilyeverafter
Sixth Year

Now, I know that I really shouldn't be commenting on something that was last posted on in June, as I was called a troll for doing that last time, but I have to say that this could be one of the best MWPP era fictions. It has excellent characterisations but also a great idea, I think that this is the kind of fan fiction I spend my day shifting through crap to find. Sirius was well done, so was Remus and so was James. They all had valid reasons for what they were doing and it was not just a "I'm going to kill loads of people for the hell of it." A very twisted yet amazing story.
A definite 5/5 for me.
happilyeverafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #48
turtle7
Backtraced

As far as villainy and evil go, this fic is a great illustration of what I consider those qualities to be - traitorous and cunning. Its no surprise that most of the witches and wizards who go dark come out of Slytherin.
turtle7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:02 AM   #49
Xiph0
Administrator
First Tovarisch

The only thing I've ever been unhesitant to rate "Excellent" - seriously.
Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H. L. Mencken
Xiph0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #50
Johnny Farrar
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle7 View Post
Its no surprise that most of the witches and wizards who go dark come out of Slytherin.
Er ... what. How does this have any relevance to this one-shot? None of the Marauders were from Slytherin.

On the story itself, I only rate stories 5/5, which I'm willing to go back to read more than once. This is one of those stories. Excellently well-written, nicely characterised and the portrayal of all the Marauders were awesome. The fight scenes were nice and more importantly, the dark vibe and atmosphere of the story was maintained throughout.

One of the finest stories in the MWPP era, and perhaps the only one. As I've never read anything remotely good in that genre, far from being as good as this one.

5/5, one of the finest one-shots in Harry Potter fan-fiction and probably the best dark story that I've ever read.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #51
Fiat
The Chosen One

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle7 View Post
As far as villainy and evil go, this fic is a great illustration of what I consider those qualities to be - traitorous and cunning. Its no surprise that most of the witches and wizards who go dark come out of Slytherin.
How the fuck are you not banned yet?
Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #52
JackW092

I loved this story.
I definitely give this 5/5.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #53
Caleb_Lestrange
Backtraced

I really liked the story as a whole very good 4/5
Caleb_Lestrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #54
GTMFPS
Squib

4.5 / 5

I'm not a fan of marauder fics but this story has something bout it that makes me wish there was more of it.

I think it's because of the dark aspect of it and how it is straight to the point unlike most other fics like this where it goes on and on about an inconsequential thing. For example the colour of the room. Or what a spell does.

I hope that the author writes another one-shot about what the marauders do or harry going to school as the way it was ended is quite open and leaves room for expansion.

Last edited by GTMFPS; 08-16-2013 at 02:02 PM.
GTMFPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #55
Nazgus
Auror

I agree that it is a great story, but please don't necro a three year old thread unless it's to inform us that a sequel has been posted or something along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King
Nazgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 08-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #56
Photon
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo View Post
I agree that it is a great story, but please don't necro a three year old thread unless it's to inform us that a sequel has been posted or something along those lines.
Again - is it always OK to post reviews in library threads.
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #57
Frantically Boosted
Sent Back to India
Boosted

Send a message via AIM to Frantically Boosted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulwersator View Post
Again - is it always OK to post reviews in library threads.
Usually it's okay, if you post like an in-depth review or something.

Half a paragraph about how you thought it was 'bretty gud' is sort of stupid.
Frantically Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:bajab, oneshot