Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Dark Arts
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #41
Fardeki
Headmaster

This. I know Odev said he was hoping to finish it within a week, but I was hoping he was just going to leave a cliffhanger and not actually finish the war within the week, because it would feel extremely rushed if he did so. And it does.

As awesome as the fight scene is with Voldemort, you can tell the author just wants to get it over with. You go from Harry killing death eaters in the room of requirement to the very next scene having Snape already having captured Harry and presenting him to Voldemort.

While we get an explanation in Harry's inner monologue, it still feels like the author just wanted to get it over with, which is fair enough since he never planned this fic and is only continuing for the reviewers. I can't wait till the fic is finished because if this is what he can write without trying, even having some lulz along the way, any fic he actually tries to write will be bound to be awesome.
Fardeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 11-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #42
Invictus
Alchemist

We should invite him to join. He is already a good author, with a much bigger potential. DLP could do wonders for him.

Last edited by Invictus; 11-10-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #43
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
I thought the duel was somewhat lame, on a few levels:

1. It was inelegant. All that seemed to matter was amount of power.

2. The descriptions of the quantities of power got over the top, and with so much "it was so powerful that blah blah blah" going on they all kinda cancelled each other out in terms of impressiveness. Nothing in particular from the duel sticks in your memory. Compare to the Dumbledore vs. Voldemort duel in OotP -- I think I could remember every move in that duel after the first read-through alone.

3. Show vs. tell was heavy on the tell side. We were told a lot about how much power is being thrown around, but we don't really see it. For that Voldemort's power is talked up, the most he really does is throw a few bits of furniture around.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #44
Rache
Headmaster

Or it can also be attributed towards Voldemort's strategy of overpowering his opponents through brute force itself. He doesn't see Harry a worthy opponent to showcase his skill like he had to do against Dumbledore at DOM in canon and Dumbledore again at the Bones manor.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #45
Alexeyy
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via ICQ to Alexeyy Send a message via Yahoo to Alexeyy Send a message via Skype™ to Alexeyy
As I read I couldn't help but keep editing, in my head, many of his phrases and word choices. I find the author's vocabulary-- lacking. Can anyone tell if English is his native tongue?

Aside from that, the story reads more like a script to a movie. We don't delve too deep into characters' minds, and as a result I can't "feel" for any of the characters, there's no emotional attachment!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #46
Nerox
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexeyy View Post
As I read I couldn't help but keep editing, in my head, many of his phrases and word choices. I find the author's vocabulary-- lacking. Can anyone tell if English is his native tongue?
A/N chapter ten.
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 11-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #47
0jordinio0
Seventh Year

I was definitely pleasantly surprised by this. Thank god for Taure's post. I knew I could atleast trust him on the matter of the fic being good at all, despite my usual preferences of fics differing from his own.

Not much I can say for this fic that hasn't been said before. I'll rate it a 4/5 because of how well it flowed to me and how well it was written.
0jordinio0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #48
Darth
Third Year

Man, logging in after so long just to give this a rating. It's been a long time since I actually enjoyed a story that was posted for review.

I definitely only carried on after the first few chapters because everyone said to (I had completely missed the author's note at the top somehow). It is fortunate that I did because the story took on a new direction. The first several chapters can simply be seen as a parody on the genre (something which I enjoyed in hindsight). Then we move onto an engaging story. Although it is clear that Harry is pretty overpowered, he mostly uses his intelligence when engaging in situations. Until - that is - when he straight-up walks into the middle of Voldemort's fortress, despite knowing he is a league below him. His arrogance also mirrors our own perception of him being overpowered, perhaps more accurately, infallible, at this point.

Didn't even bring a flashbang with him this time. (Completely unrelated and non-serious but I think he should have just stolen a nuke and detonated that near Gaunt's place... )

There's also some interesting mysteries. Anyone know who his partner is? If it isn't someone normal (I suspect it is the same 'Tom' he is asking for help from now), then I wonder if it could have been a new problem for him (as he suggests). However, judging by what Fardeki said, he's wrapping the story up so I doubt it'll take up more than a chapter. While I think that would be a shame, it would be nice to have a story that actually finishes with a real ending rather than dragging out.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #49
KrzaQ
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to KrzaQ
I'm pretty sure he is Tom (after all Dumbledore isn't infallible, and there's no reason to think that an overpowered Harry wouldn't be able to secure a Time Turner), and now he needs Tom's state of mind - that of a cold, ruthless killer - to survive.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/krzaq_1337
KrzaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #50
Taure
Order Member
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
He did break into the Department of Mysteries after all. It's perfectly possible he picked up a Time Turner while he was there.

The only other possibility, I think, is that Tom is a rebellious horcrux. But the horcruxes are all accounted for.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #51
Fardeki
Headmaster

I thought those were the two obvious choices, either Tom is another Horcrux, which is kind of hard since Harry has been absorbing them all, or Harry himself.

I'm kind of hoping the author is going to throw a left hook and Tom is someone else we didn't think of, and that somewhere along the way he has been giving us hints. I can't find any though, not that I've looked hard, so it looks like its one of those two choices.
Fardeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #52
Caledfwlch
DA Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I was under the impression that the horcruxes he'd been absorbing had manifested into an alter-ego, Tom. As in he has almost two complete souls in his body.
Caledfwlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #53
AceOfSpades
Sixth Year

I came across this story on Taure's FF profile and read it through last night. It was definitely one of the best guilty pleasures I've read in a long time. The cliches and tropes are easily overlooked if you go into the story with odev's original warning in mind. That said I am very impressed with how he progresses as a writer through the fic. The writing is tight and fast-paced without much description though it fits the story.

The changes in POV was an interesting choice to make and I was actually hoping that we wouldn't see Harry's POV during the beginning. odev did a very good job managing other peoples views of Harry.

The last chapter was very rushed, but it seems like there might be only one or two left. I certainly think he is just trying to wrap it up.

I second Invictus, let's send this guy an invite to join and have front row seats to whatever he turns out when working with purpose as opposed to just fucking around with his writing.

"Drip drop motherfucker." -Harry Potter, Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain, by Nuhuh

AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 11-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #54
Rhys
High Inquisitor

The fic starts off rough, but like others have said it grows on you as you read it. Back in the day people would have been singing its praises.

I was particularly impressed with the battle in chapter 16; we got to see just enough of Dumbledore vs. Voldemort for it to be impressive and not enough for it to get boring, mixed in with a cool scene for Tonks, all in an interesting battlefield with lots of things going on.

4/5
Old 11-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #55
Vengeful Astartes
Squib

Action Packed

4.5/5 for enjoyability.... However I am not sure if it is enough to qualify it going to the library.

\IMPORTANT, The Author Clearly states at the beginning of the first chapter that, and I quote.

"Small Warning: This story is intended as a guilt pleasure, a fun little ride. If you come here looking for intricate character and long deep story lines you're going to be disappointed. If your just looking for a fun read you'll hopefully enjoy it"
I personally enjoyed reading this Fic particularly towards the later chapters, I think the story got better and better the more I read.

One of the best aspect of the story was that it was a non-stop action pact ride.... No boring fillers, each chapter was a thrilling and enjoyable piece of writing (More so in the later chapters).

However their were a few aspect to this story I did not enjoy or found a bit annoying. It was pretty unrealistic extreme Indi-Harry, the debatably unethical sex scene with Ginny kind of put me a bit (The whole Mind wiping issue).

Having said that, if you can overlook any negative aspects/points that may put your off and just enjoy the ride, I found myself enjoying the greater portion of the story. The combat scene in particular were quite well done.

On the whole I would recommend this fic's to anyone whom doesn't require A-grade plot-lines & characterisations and are just looking for a fun, enjoyable Fic to read. In fact it was one of the most enjoyable fic's I have read in quite a while.

Last edited by Vengeful Astartes; 11-16-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Vengeful Astartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up