Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Support > Tech Support
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 02-03-2017, 06:23 AM   #1
Download
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
AO4 email subscription alerts and other garbage

After many years of avoiding it I finally got around to becoming a member of AO4 a few months back.

During this time I've subscribed to 30 odd stories. The problem is that a few days ago it occurred to me I've never once received a subscription update email. I've had a few replies to reviews emails but not one single email telling me a story I'm subscribed to has updated.

The issue is further compounded by the terrible subscription page on the user dashboard. Unlike FF.net which has sortable columns for story title, author, fandom, date added and date updated, AO4 seems to only have the story name in alphabetical order so I can't just organise the list by date updated and find my most recent updates.

Is there some way to fix any of these problems? I cant find anything despite several days of looking through the options on and off. It could just be that I'm completely blind.
Download is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #2
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

I've never had a problem, that I can recall, receiving email notifications for series/story updates. I do agree that the subscription list is pretty darn terrible.

Last edited by NuitTombee; 02-03-2017 at 07:09 AM.
NuitTombee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

I've not had any issues getting email alerts.

I know it sounds stupid, and I don't mean to be condescending, but:
1 - Check you've not changed your email. You have to put one in to get your account, but you can change it afterwards.
2 - Check you're actually subscribed to them. I tend to subscribe on the last update, if I've liked everything up to then. Using spacebar to pagedown counts as a click on the button if you haven't clicked elsewhere.
3 - Check the stories have actually updated. If you subscribe to Esama, they're putting out a chapter every few days currently.

I agree with the sorting though, it's painful. So is a lot of the searching the rest of the time.

But I really like being able to series link stories, and being able to view entire work.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Lesath
Second Year

You mean AO3?
Quote:
Not getting any emails: We've been getting reports about missing subscription notifications even when we couldn't see any problems with the mailing queue on our end. In all likelihood, these emails are getting caught in spam filters. Please check your junk mail folder and add do-not-reply@archiveofourown.org to your address book to increase chances of successful delivery. You can also follow these unofficial instructions for whitelisting all emails from the Archive.
from "Known Issues". Did you check your spam folder?
Gmail is supposedly problematic, but there is also a matter of your spam filter. Subscription notifications usually look like "[AO3] author posted chapter x of story". Maybe one of words used in email title is on your blacklist.

Last edited by Lesath; 02-03-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Lesath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

If after you check your spam folder you still cannot find them, either contact AO3 or take it as a sign to avoid AO3.