Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 02-13-2017, 04:41 AM   #1
BTT
Auror

Week 16: Order of the Phoenix, Ch. 26 - 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 434
“Maybe not,” she said darkly, returning to her translation, “but at least my happiness doesn’t depend on Ron’s goalkeeping ability.”
Harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 435
Out of respect for his feelings, Harry waited a while before going up to the dormitory himself, so that Ron could pretend to be asleep if he wanted to. Sure enough, when Harry finally entered the room Ron was snoring a little too loudly to be entirely plausible
And people say he's tactless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 437
“Another one who thinks you’re barking,” said Ron, throwing a crumpled letter over his shoulder “… but this one says you’ve got her converted and she now thinks you’re a real hero - she’s put in a photograph, too - wow!”
Wonder who that was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 439
The pages carrying Harry's interview had been bewitched to resemble extracts from textbooks if anyone but themselves read it, or else wiped magically blank until they wanted to peruse it again
That's pretty creative. Wonder who came up with that.

I think it's often forgotten that Legilimency is an actual spell that can be guarded against by Protego and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 462
I have testimony from Willy Widdershins, Minerva, who happened to be in the bar at the time.
Willy Widdershins is, it turns out, kind of a total twat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 463
Perhaps it was a trick of the firelight, but her eyes looked oddly blank.
Damn. Kingsley's one tricksy motherfucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 465
He gazed at the heading scribbled by Hermione months before and for a moment seemed unable to speak.
Ginny you bint, this is your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 467
“Well - it’s just that you seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am going to - what is the phrase? - come quietly. I am afraid I am not going to come quietly at all, Cornelius. I have absolutely no intention of being sent to Azkaban. I could break out, of course - but what a waste of time, and frankly, I can think of a whole host of things I would rather be doing.”
God, I love this moment.

I totally misremembered the bit about Snape's pensieve. I remember it as being an accident that Harry saw those memories, but instead he sought it out because he was curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 485
Harry had the distinct impression that Sirius was the only one for whom James would have stopped showing off.
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 487
But too late; Snape had directed his wand straight at James; there was a flash of light and a gash appeared on the side of James’s face, spattering his robes with blood.
Wonder if that was Sectumsempra or a prototype. Also that could've probably killed James, goddamn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 489
“Who wants to see me take off Snivelly’s pants?”
No one, James. No one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 494
“Listen to this: Are you seeking a challenging career involving travel, adventure and substantial, danger-related treasure bonuses? Then consider a position with Gringotts Wizarding Bank, who are currently recruiting Curse-Breakers for thrilling opportunities abroad… They want Arithmancy, though; you could do it, Hermione!”
Arithmancy, eh? Not Ancient Runes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 498
They ask for a minimum of five NEWTs, and nothing under ‘Exceeds Expectations’ grade, I see. Then you would be required to undergo a stringent series of character and aptitude tests at the Auror office. It’s a difficult career path, Potter, they only take the best. In fact, I don’t think anybody has been taken on in the last three years.
Interesting. I knew of the NEWTs and the grades, but the character and aptitude tests are new to me. If anyone knows, how does that compare to what you need to become a police officer?

Considering people love to shit on Harry for not being better at school, he nonetheless seems to have his shit together in the grades department and is most of the way to being qualified enough to become an Auror already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 500
“I should have made my meaning plainer,” said Professor McGonagall, turning at last to look Umbridge directly in the eyes. “He has achieved high marks in all Defense Against the Dark Arts tests set by a competent teacher.”
That day, Pomfrey ran out of burn salve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 504
he was popular, he was good at Quidditch - good at pretty much everything.
It's interesting that, whenever it's discussed why Snape dislikes James, Quidditch is brought up. Did Snape have secret Quidditch ambitions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 509
Eventually the area was roped off and Filch, gnashing his teeth furiously, was given the task of punting students across it to their classrooms.
Not knowing what a punt was, this is even funnier.
(I have since then looked up what a punt is. Don't throw explanations at me, please.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 510
Indeed, a week after Fred and George’s departure Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves, who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier, and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth, “It unscrews the other way.”
JKR is actually really good at humour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 512
I don’t regret it, either. I didn’t need the gold and they’ll be great at running a joke shop.
“But this is excellent!” said Ron, looking thrilled. “It’s all your fault, Harry - Mum can’t blame me at all! Can I tell her?”
"Ron is so jealous of Harry's gold!!1!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 523
“Would yeh mind if he called yeh Hermy, Hermione? On’y it’s a difficult name fer him ter remember.”
“No, not at all,” squeaked Hermione.
Canon support for that nickname. No mention of 'Mione yet that I can recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 533
“I doubt it,” shouted tiny Professor Marchbanks, “not if Dumbledore doesn’t want to be found!
One imagines her deafness is partially feigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 534
“I’m not sure I did myself justice on Cheering Charms, I just ran out of time. Did you put in the counter-charm for hiccoughs?
Why would the countercharm for hiccoughs need to be referenced for Cheering Charms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 535
He forgot the definition of a Switching Spell during his written paper next morning but thought his practical could have been a lot worse. At least he managed to Vanish the whole of his iguana, whereas poor Hannah Abbott lost her head completely at the next table and somehow managed to multiply her ferret into a flock of flamingos, causing the examination to be halted for ten minutes while the birds were captured and carried out of the Hall.
Hannah Abbott seems to be the Eloise Midgen of exams.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Atram Noctem
Professor

Quote:
"Get out, get out, I don't want to see you in this office ever again!"
And as Harry hurtled towards the door, a jar of dead cockroaches exploded over his head.
Weren't you saying something about controlling your emotions and not wearing your heart on your sleeve, Sevvy?

I would feel sorry for how he got humiliated, if his future actions didn't prove that he totally deserved it.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
FlyingOctopus
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT View Post
It's interesting that, whenever it's discussed why Snape dislikes James, Quidditch is brought up. Did Snape have secret Quidditch ambitions?
Doesn't he have a fierce rivalry with McGonagall for the Hogwarts Quidditch Cup in the Philosopher's Stone? Might be more evidence pointing that way.
FlyingOctopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
Shinysavage
Order Member
Madman With A Box

High Score: 2,296
Chapter 26: Seen and Unforeseen

Quote:
Ron himself came stumping into the Hall splattered with mud and looking grumpy.
Come on, Ron. We all know that's not how Molly raised you.

Quote:
we found out how to get rid of those boils, just a couple of drops of Murtlap essence sorts them
You mean into the recipe? Or just leave the boils as a side affect that it's up to the user to sort? Hopefully the former.

Quote:
Umbridge had been sitting a few rows below Harry and Hermione
Isn't there a staff stand where they all sit? If so, this is ridiculously petty of her.

Quote:
I mean a reporter asked me questions and I answered them
This deserves to be up there with "It changes every day" and "There's no need to call me 'sir', Professor".

Quote:
'No,' said Dumbledore sharply. 'It is my wish that you remain, Sybill.'
What do we think would have happened if she'd been a bit more stubborn? Locked her up? It's pretty obvious with hindsight that this is at least partly so that he can keep an eye on the source of the prophecy.

Chapter 27: The Centaur and the Sneak

Quote:
Parvati was curling her eyelashes around her wand
That makes it sound like she's got extremely long eyelashes. Unless I'm either: over-estimating how thick a wand is (ooh-er, etc etc); misunderstanding the eyelash curling process; misunderstanding the image.

Quote:
'Haven't we got a counter-jinx for this?' Fudge asked Umbridge
Nice, subtle highlighting of the Ministry's hypocrisy here.

Chapter 28: Snape's Worst Memory

Quote:
'I'd be surprised if I don't get 'Outstanding' on it at least.'
At least?

Chapter 30: Grawp

Quote:
'I dreamed I was watching you lot play Quidditch,' Harry lied brutally. 'I was trying to get you to stretch out a bit further to grab the Quaffle.'
Jesus, Harry. Something to remember for the next 'Ron's an asshole' thread - he never talks to Harry like that (Hermione a little, maybe).

Quote:
'He had half the herd on him.'
'And you stopped it?'[...]'By yourself?'
Missed moment of awesome. Really wish we'd seen this.

Chapter 31: OWL's

Quote:
Baruffio's Brain Elixer...powdered dragon claw
Shame we don't see imaginative stuff like this in most fanfic, rather than tedious enhancement potions.

Quote:
Auto-Answer Quills are banned from the examination hall, as are Remembralls...
Why? They don't tell you what you've forgotten, just that you've forgotten something - can't see that being much use in an exam. You probably already know.

Quote:
Now, if I could ask you to take this egg cup and make it do some cartwheels for me.
Why. For the love of God, why?

Quote:
Harry went to bed with his head buzzing with complex spell models and theories.
One of the best insights we get into the 'science' of magic, sparse as it is.

Quote:
and rounded off the whole fiasco by mixing up the life and head lines on her palm and informing her that she ought to have died the previous Tuesday.
That's a positive! Should have got him extra marks...

Quote:
Hagrid roared, 'Reasonable be damned, yeh won't take me like this, Dawlish!'
In Umbridge's defence, she does think - not entirely unreasonably - that Hagrid has been setting magical beasts on her, albeit harmless ones, and that he has some connection to a self-admitted enemy of the Ministry. On the other hand, taking an Auror to sack a teacher is clearly, insanely unnecessary and corrupt.

Quote:
Um...five minutes to go, everybody.
Surely the exam being interrupted by a four-on-one duel with a half-giant, and a vicious, unprovoked attack on McGonagall merits an extension?
Old 02-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
Atram Noctem
Professor

I don't think Hagrid's problem was getting sacked (since he escaped anyway), I think Umbridge wanted to take him to Azkaban or questioning.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Dicra
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post
Why. For the love of God, why?
The single quotation that proves Hogwarts is almost a regular school. After all, where else would you learn things even remotely as purposeless?

Nothing to write home about, but if you aren't bothered by it being German and the first two chapters being quite unrealistic, it might be something for you.
Dicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Distaly
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysavage View Post
Surely the exam being interrupted by a four-on-one duel with a half-giant, and a vicious, unprovoked attack on McGonagall merits an extension?
Try to find that excuse in the necessary paperwork.

Can I just say how much this book drags on? I remember why I tought it one of the weaker ones. It feels like nothing happens for sites over sites. I think OotP is way too long for the stuff that happens in it. In Hogwarts there simply isnt enough going on to justify all those pages.
Distaly is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up