Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > Other Fandoms > Story Search
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 02-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #2341
Lamora
Definitely Not Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cxjenious View Post
What the fuck is HINO?
If I put my military acronym sorting skills to work, I'm gonna guess it stands for Harry In Name Only.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #2342
Telrath
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cxjenious View Post
What the fuck is HINO?
What Octopus said, Harry In Name Only.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #2343
pbluekan
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Does anyone else think it's Harry In Name Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareOtters View Post
ďI have to lick my balls that night,Ē said Sirius nervously.
pbluekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #2344
Donimo
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbluekan View Post
Does anyone else think it's Harry In Name Only?
Context says yes.
Donimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #2345
Jarizok
Fourth Year

I don't know what you guys are talking about, this is EXACTLY how I imagine canon Harry if he reÔncarnated as an androgenous dragon in ASoIaF after apparently having been the master of death and living through the end of the world.
Jarizok is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 02-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #2346
KGB
Unspeakable

I like the dragon fic. It's just so weird.

Does make me wish that Rise of the Pale Dragon updated. That fic showed quite a bit of promise for being wacky fun. (although I don't think the author meant it to be.)
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #2347
Donimo
Fourth Year

Are there are fics that diverge with Aery's burning Kings Landing? With or without Tywins army inside. Seems an obvious way to start a fic but I haven't seen it.

Robert wins a war but has no throne to take, Tyrion is just a kid but would be the Lord Paramount of Westerland unless Kevan usurps him. Dorne wouldn't have reason to hate the Lannisters for killing Elia. It's really make Westeros ripe for a good story.
Donimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #2348
CrackedMind
Order Member

The only story that involves Kings Landing burning that I've read was Hash's quest a Dragon of the North, though the burning happened by accident long after Aerys died.

Would love to read a story like you suggested though. Definitely leaves the door open for some very interesting plotlines.
Freedom is a word long forgotten, an idea with no following in the world. Deep within the wilds of an undignified wasteland is a boy who dreamed of something bigger. A boy who dreamed of Revolution. AU
Acton's Heir
http://forums.darklordpotter.net/sho...118#post609118
CrackedMind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:52 AM   #2349
KGB
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
Are there are fics that diverge with Aery's burning Kings Landing? With or without Tywins army inside. Seems an obvious way to start a fic but I haven't seen it.
There is The King of Ashes over at AH. It is written by the dude that wrote Blood of the others that some people liked.

It is rather short and from the looks of it abandoned.

Also: We were Different Men This isn't exactly good either, but it's of decent length and complete.

Last edited by KGB; 02-13-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:00 AM   #2350
Majube
Seventh Year

This one has an earlier burning.\
Being Aerys
Old 02-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #2351
Blank402
Second Year

Knees Falling is up to date on FFN

just in case there's anyone who missed out because they didn't want to make an AH account.
Blank402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 02-28-2017, 12:44 AM   #2352
pbluekan
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
A Song for Dragons by DoubleHex

I've been reading this since it started a while back, but didn't feel it merited posting until now. It's a fully AU world, and the changes I've found are interesting and are well incorporated and utilized. So far, the story itself is fairly high quality. It feels like it's been plotted out well before hand and the author has a direction everything is going in, and I definitely recommend it.

Edit: @Custer had a point. Mostly it's a 'Jon goes east' piece, complete with ending up at Illyrio's manse and finding himself tagging along with Daenerys and Viserys. In that, it's fairly predictable. It diverges, however, with Khal Drogo. The author seems to have pulled him even farther in the direction of Genghis Khan than the character previously was, in that Drogo has essentially wiped every other Khal off the map, and turned himself to empire building. In Westeros, this progressed along canon lines until Robert hears that Jon is traveling with the Khal and the last Targaryens. Minus any spoilers that is essentially where we're at.

It has a couple of major hangups: Grammar and spelling is the most obvious of these. On the whole, it's quite good, and it looks like the author proofreads most of their work; however, in every chapter there are large chunks of utter garbage. Obvious misspellings next to tense confusion and comma errors. I can only assume it's a result of piecemeal writing and editing,. The prose used is also an ongoing, though improving, issue. It isn't even overly elaborate or cringeworthy, in fact, it's rather readable ... until it isn't. The author tends to stumble over their own writing, especially in dramatic or exciting sequences, and it becomes hard to follow.

I've suggested the author stop in here to check out what we've got to say, so we'll see if he stops by and sticks around.

Quote:

Last edited by pbluekan; 02-28-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-28-2017, 03:41 AM   #2353
Custer
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Custer Send a message via MSN to Custer
That's a whole lot of words for not describing the story at all. Can you give a synopsis?
[5:23pm] JBlaise: Looks like this douche game....
[5:23pm] JBlaise: *puts on shades*
[5:23pm] JBlaise: is in the bag.
[5:23pm] Aekiel: ...
[5:23pm] Zeph: YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekiel View Post
Justin Bieber is my new hero.
Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 02-28-2017, 05:56 AM   #2354
pbluekan
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custer View Post
That's a whole lot of words for not describing the story at all. Can you give a synopsis?
Whoops, sorry. Edited in a shitty little summary.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #2355
Odran
Heir

Does anyone remember the name of that one short fic where Catelyn tried to kill Jon and got exiled by Ned to Bear Island?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #2356
yak

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odran View Post
Does anyone remember the name of that one short fic where Catelyn tried to kill Jon and got exiled by Ned to Bear Island?
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/11959399/...ts-A-Swordsman

Google brought this up. I read the first chapter, it's ham fisted and catelyn bashing, but still okayish.

Edit: It actually gets a little interesting. It's a Stark-wank divergence where Ned is a cold, hard ruler. It's ridiculous in many ways but is saved by its brevity.

Last edited by yak; 03-01-2017 at 01:47 AM.
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #2357
Vira
Unspeakable

Finished a Song of Dragons.

The writing in general is good, but there are problems. Iíll put them under spoiler tags just in case.

The plot is driven by convenience and Ďdestinyí. Jon and Dany are able to keep up an affair despite being in this mega Dothraki city. People who do find out about the affair either donít do anything, are completely supportive of this high treason, or knocked off just in time. Despite Khal Drogo and Dany having sex nightly for months, Jon is able to get Dany pregnant on their first try, and due to the convenient time period, thereís no question or fear that Jon isnít the father.

Is it strange I feel bad for Drogo? In the books Dany was clearly under Stockholm Syndrome and was raped a lot, but the circumstances here put a bad taste in my mouth. Jon and Dany only think of themselves when theyíre having this affair (Jonís presence with Dany creates an international incident back in Westeros, but he doesnít consider it). They lie and deceive Drogo and his people, accepting gifts and honor in one hand while keeping a dagger behind their backs.

I think the age-up of the characters are a big problem. Despite Dany being nineteen, she is still a virgin and her brother has never raped or married her, and I canít buy it at all. The Stark kids are in their late teens but not one is married or betrothed. This could be an AU where the usual age of marriage has been raised significantly, but itís mentioned in the first chapter how odd this is.

Back in Westeros, the Game of Thrones plot is railroaded through despite everything. Bran, a fourteen year old, is apparently still climbing walls and getting thrown from them. He should be on the hunt all the other men (except Jaime) go on, but nope. Sansa as a seventeen year old still falls for the Joffrey deception but as soon as Eddard is killed, makes a 180 and declares that she needs to get to Jon, Dany, and the baby, and help them. She proceeds to sneak out of Kingís Landing with Barristan. Arya has a prophetic dream and destiny sends her to Jon too, and she sneaks out of Kingís Landing and gets to the Riverlands all by herself.

Itís all very convenient.

The last problem is the fight scenes are skipped over. I suppose the writer has no confidence in writing them, but it makes things confusing.

The first couple chapters were enjoyable but by the end I was bored. The Dothraki were original and creative, but it didnít extent to anything else. Itís long and could be a good time waster, though.

3/5.
Vira is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #2358
Blinker
Fifth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vira View Post
Finished a Song of Dragons.

The writing in general is good, but there are problems. Iíll put them under spoiler tags just in case.

The plot is driven by convenience and Ďdestinyí. Jon and Dany are able to keep up an affair despite being in this mega Dothraki city. People who do find out about the affair either donít do anything, are completely supportive of this high treason, or knocked off just in time. Despite Khal Drogo and Dany having sex nightly for months, Jon is able to get Dany pregnant on their first try, and due to the convenient time period, thereís no question or fear that Jon isnít the father.

Is it strange I feel bad for Drogo? In the books Dany was clearly under Stockholm Syndrome and was raped a lot, but the circumstances here put a bad taste in my mouth. Jon and Dany only think of themselves when theyíre having this affair (Jonís presence with Dany creates an international incident back in Westeros, but he doesnít consider it). They lie and deceive Drogo and his people, accepting gifts and honor in one hand while keeping a dagger behind their backs.

I think the age-up of the characters are a big problem. Despite Dany being nineteen, she is still a virgin and her brother has never raped or married her, and I canít buy it at all. The Stark kids are in their late teens but not one is married or betrothed. This could be an AU where the usual age of marriage has been raised significantly, but itís mentioned in the first chapter how odd this is.

Back in Westeros, the Game of Thrones plot is railroaded through despite everything. Bran, a fourteen year old, is apparently still climbing walls and getting thrown from them. He should be on the hunt all the other men (except Jaime) go on, but nope. Sansa as a seventeen year old still falls for the Joffrey deception but as soon as Eddard is killed, makes a 180 and declares that she needs to get to Jon, Dany, and the baby, and help them. She proceeds to sneak out of Kingís Landing with Barristan. Arya has a prophetic dream and destiny sends her to Jon too, and she sneaks out of Kingís Landing and gets to the Riverlands all by herself.

Itís all very convenient.

The last problem is the fight scenes are skipped over. I suppose the writer has no confidence in writing them, but it makes things confusing.

The first couple chapters were enjoyable but by the end I was bored. The Dothraki were original and creative, but it didnít extent to anything else. Itís long and could be a good time waster, though.

3/5.

I shared some of your complaints, in particular the sense of railroading, it seemed as though the author wasn't at all interested in any impacts of the changes in Westeros other than as a way to magically gather all the Stark children in Essos. The chapter in which Ned's downfall is played out identically, barring him being attacked by Baratheon soldiers, was especially egregious. Why does Littlefinger tell him "I told you not to trust me" if the whole arc with Cersei's kids never got going?

Regarding Drogo I was bugged by the fact that the author seemed to give him a very inconsistent voice, sometimes he seemed in keeping with the tone of the books, but very similar to Robert, loud and bombastic, other times he was speaking with more modern idioms and speech patterns and it broke my immersion. I actually felt like in the books that, while Dany gets a pretty shit deal, Drogo was actually about the kindest person to her that she'd ever met, to the point of actively and relatively tenderly seeking consent (in a subversion of the rapey savage trope). It bugged me that in this story he's made into a pretty callous rapist seemingly just to make Jon look more noble by comparison.

Some thoughts
Blinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #2359
Blank402
Second Year

I couldn't make it past the scene where Jon and Dany first meet.

Jon nearly dies, has a metal plate implanted in his skull, spends weeks bed ridden and the first thing he does when he wakes up is defend Dany from Viserys. It was just too shippy for me.
Blank402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:27 AM   #2360
KGB
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vira View Post

3/5.
All of that and you still give it 3/5?

I personally couldn't get passed the point where Jon just decides to devote his life to Dany for no good reason. Hell if it was a plot to kill her and bring back her head to Winterfell, that later transformed into him falling for her I could sort of understand.

But this is just BAM! "I give my life in service of the Targaryens". The family that burned his grandfather alive, hung his uncle and, as far as he knows, abducted and raped his aunt. Yea these are the people you should devote your life to.

Tags
a song of ice and fire