Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Dark Arts
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Shujin
Second Year

Deathly Hallowed by Shujin1 - T

Title: Deathly Hallowed
Author: Shujin1
Rating: T
Genre: Adventure/Horror
Chapters: 11
Words: 77,463
Updated: February 6, 2014
Published: April 5, 2013

Library Category: The Dark Arts
Pairings: Undecided
Summary: The Tale of Three Brothers was not a legend. It was a warning. No one cheats Death. And luckily for Lily Potter, the promise of the Cloak's return in exchange for her son's life was a fair deal. Stare into the abyss, Harry Potter, and we will see who blinks first.
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9172846/1/Deathly-Hallowed

Shameless self plug.

It's been called to my attention that marking this story as a rewrite and tacking it onto the end of a [Complete] story thread is doing it an injustice. It should be rated according to its own merits since very little actually links it to the "original" version.

This story is a psuedo Cthulu-mythos cross with the premise that Lily figures out what James' Cloak is before Dumbledore does, and makes a deal with eldritch abomination Death in order to break the prophecy. The problem is, the method she used to call Death has long lasting consequences and isn't restricted to calling just Death over.

If a mod can snip the story discussion for this and graft it here, that would be much appreciated.

Checked by Minion, July. 28, 2016

Last edited by Dark Minion; 07-28-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Shujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
The Iron Rose
Unspeakable

Earns a solid 4.5 rounding up to 5/5 from me. Good horror scenes, fantastic tension building.

Some scenes are tricky to follow and there are a few typos in the latest update, but that seems like a proofing error and given you're on here, likely not indicative of a wider issue.
The Iron Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Blorcyn
Professor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I really enjoy this story and it's so different from the original that it totally deserves to have its own recommendation.

You've done a great job at creating the eldritch horrors from the other side and hinting at how they operate through the story rather than by exposition. I've not read the most recent chapter yet, but the first seven are definitely Library worthy.

5/5
Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
FreakLord
Professor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
4.5 out of 5

Because I had to read some scenes more than 2 times to understand.
FreakLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
4/5

I posted a few details in the other thread. It's good, and deserves a spot in the library, but it's not quite 5/5 material in my mind.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
TSN
High Inquisitor

Thana is the cutest kid ever. but what I want to say last time was the fact that I really don't like Lily whiping out Harry memory. I don't think its the work of Thana, its not something I beleive she would do to her friend... it just doesnt sit well with me for Harry to never remember anything from those event with Thana.

Its not even been 2 week and already Harry lost 2 of his extra life. They have to man up and tell him whats going on otherwise he won't last the year.

Is Alex actually still alive there at the end or dead or Zombified? (thats kind of awesome btw)

Made by Jon.
TSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
yak

DLP Supporter Donor Star
For much of the story I've been scratching my head wondering what's going on. Obscurity is good, but it's been taken a bit too far here. Thank god for the latest chapter, Memory, which helped to put things into perspective. I'm enjoying the story more now.

4/5.
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Russano
Disappeared

I gave it a 4/5. It's interesting, mysterious, and unique. Not a combination that you can find easily. But it's too confusing to give a 5/5.
Russano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Darth
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak View Post
For much of the story I've been scratching my head wondering what's going on. Obscurity is good, but it's been taken a bit too far here. Thank god for the latest chapter, Memory, which helped to put things into perspective. I'm enjoying the story more now.

4/5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russano View Post
I gave it a 4/5. It's interesting, mysterious, and unique. Not a combination that you can find easily. But it's too confusing to give a 5/5.
Same.

I don't like how Harry's memories were altered, but it seems like he'll notice. I hope he does, otherwise I will feel cheated.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Shujin
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Same.

I don't like how Harry's memories were altered, but it seems like he'll notice. I hope he does, otherwise I will feel cheated.
Well, you won't have to worry about feeling cheated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN View Post
Is Alex actually still alive there at the end or dead or Zombified? (thats kind of awesome btw)
She's dead, Jim.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
Jormungandr
Prisoner

Again, fucking loving this.

5/5 from me.
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Jormungandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Darth
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shujin View Post
She's dead, Jim.
Is she gone from the rest of the story? I'm a sad panda now
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
Shujin
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Is she gone from the rest of the story? I'm a sad panda now
With a Harry who is friends with proto-shoggoth Death? Please. The question is: Does she come back right?
Thumbs Up 4 thumbs up
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #14
T3t
Third Year
Purple Beast of DLP

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,164
The story's kinda confusing but I really like it so far.

It's legit a bit scary and bad things actually happen to people, but they don't feel like unnecessary bad things, like random character deaths tacked on for angst. They make sense in the context of the story. Characterizations are pretty decent. Definitely library material, 4.5/5.

T3t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #15
yak

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Shujin needs your help with the next chapter: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/sh...ad.php?t=23952
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #16
R. Daneel Olivaw
Groundskeeper

Definitely library worthy in my opinion. I really like that I haven't been able to easily anticipate what's going to happen. 5/5 for what I've read so far.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
AceOfSpades
Sixth Year

I like this. I like this a lot. Library for sure, 4.5/5 if only because it is a little confusing right now.

"Drip drop motherfucker." -Harry Potter, Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain, by Nuhuh

AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
Innomine
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,500
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
So, I've seen this around a lot, but only just got around to reading it.

I have to say, I don't know what the fuck I just read, but I did love it.

It's creepy, scary, and fascinating in all the right ways. Looking forward to seeing more. 5/5 from me so far.
Innomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
coleam
Death Eater

I dunno. It's well-written and a cool concept, but it seems to me that the author is trying too hard to make it mysterious and strange, and it comes across as confusing more than anything. Mysterious is great to an extent, but when you're seven chapters and almost 60k words in and your readers are still saying "I have no idea wtf I just read," there's a problem. Again, it's well-written, but I just couldn't enjoy it because I was too busy trying to figure out how everything worked and what was going on rather than appreciating the story.

3/5

coleam is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 05-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
Myst
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleam View Post
I dunno. It's well-written and a cool concept, but it seems to me that the author is trying too hard to make it mysterious and strange, and it comes across as confusing more than anything. Mysterious is great to an extent, but when you're seven chapters and almost 60k words in and your readers are still saying "I have no idea wtf I just read," there's a problem. Again, it's well-written, but I just couldn't enjoy it because I was too busy trying to figure out how everything worked and what was going on rather than appreciating the story.

3/5
Pretty much this. Mystery is nice but I was too confused for too long to keep interest in the story. It is well written in a grammatical sense, but I don't think its well written in a "keep the reader's interest" sense.

My Harry Potter Fic:

To Win a War

PC | FF.net
Myst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:shujin1