Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Dark Arts
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 09-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #21
Trig
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
Spoiler tags, ever heard of them? You started and now everyone is spilling the fic’s plot in the review thread. Lovely, thank you all.
You're not wrong, but his answer is post number thirteen in a review thread. I mean come on, what were you expecting by reading this many reviews of a story without reading it yourself first?

Trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #22
S1234567890m
Third Year

Because not concealing spoilers for the story in the initial review forum is against the rules?
S1234567890m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #23
Invictus
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1234567890m View Post
Because not concealing spoilers for the story in the initial review forum is against the rules?
Thank you. Also, if the 12 first could give their review without spoiling it... And he just dropped the main thing about the story in just, what his second line with no warning whatsoever?
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #24
mknote
Disappeared
1/3 of the Note Bros.

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Wow, I'll be real honest, I didn't give one thought to spoilers. At all. And I even hate being spoiled in the extreme.

My apologies. I feel like a dickbag in the extreme. I don't know if putting things in spoiler tags would be of any use now since others have started talking about the plot points, so I'm at a loss. But I apologize.
mknote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:03 AM   #25
MoltenCheese
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknote View Post
Wow, I'll be real honest, I didn't give one thought to spoilers. At all. And I even hate being spoiled in the extreme.

My apologies. I feel like a dickbag in the extreme. I don't know if putting things in spoiler tags would be of any use now since others have started talking about the plot points, so I'm at a loss. But I apologize.
If you're sorry and feel like a dickbag and all that, wouldn't the natural response be going back to your post and, you know, actually putting spoiler tags in it?

Anyways, the story was excellent. The plot, pacing, and execution were brilliant, and really pulled me into the fic. Harry was OOC, but that’s the nature of fanfiction in general, so I was fine with that. While what the previous posts said were true and there were things that could have been better, the twists made up for them in my opinion. Ah, the twists

4.5/5, rounded down to a 4. While things were slightly rough in some parts, I think this story definitely deserves a spot in the library.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #26
johnny
Temporarily Banhammered

I tried to read but got bored after the first chapters. Tried to skim but couldn't even do that. Skipped to the last few chapters to come across the worst bit of fanfic ever.

The Weasley Beggar kills Harry lol thats the biggest fail I have seen written sorry that makes the fic -100000000000000 for me.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #27
mknote
Disappeared
1/3 of the Note Bros.

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenCheese View Post
If you're sorry and feel like a dickbag and all that, wouldn't the natural response be going back to your post and, you know, actually putting spoiler tags in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknote View Post
I don't know if putting things in spoiler tags would be of any use now since others have started talking about the plot points, so I'm at a loss. But I apologize.
Pretty sure I addressed that. Others have done it too, and unless we all go back and edit... is there a point? Plus, I just tried, and I can't edit my post.

Last edited by mknote; 09-22-2015 at 08:50 PM.
mknote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #28
Jswords
Squib

Very solid writing but the plot for the second half just didn't work nearly as well for me.
4/5
Jswords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #29
klauth
Squib

I didn't realize I had a craving for a mystery until starting this story. Actually reread What Lies Beneath a few months ago. Master Slytherin's newest work is fantastic. Even his use of some older story tropes like secret agent unspeakables is easy to get around with the quality writing and original ideas. Easily a 4/5.
klauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #30
Manavz
Second Year

I liked it. Good grammar, clear diction and a rather interesting concept. Solid 4.5/5.
Manavz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #31
Lord_Frost
Squib

This is a very good story, It was very well written. I give it a 4.5/5.
Lord_Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #32
Tomas19
Squib

Definitely in the "Not a Fan" category.

I'm not particularly impressed with the technical skills of the author. I've always been a sucker for someone who can evoke emotion or feeling, rather than technical precision. This didn't do it for me, and I'm unwilling to overlook the flaws I saw in the pacing and delivery (I agree with the opinions that the tale sort of went off the rails about halfway through).

The ending (not the epilogue) was weak and conflicted, and the epilogue itself was a disappointment. Not in that 'it didn't end the way I wanted it to' way, but in a 'gee - who couldn't see that coming?' way.

2/5
Tomas19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #33
newageofpower
Professor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I've always felt RoP was really good when it was first written (compared to the rest of the fandom), and it both hits and misses many tropes.

Still, I didn't like many of it's concepts (Vampires?) even then. If I reread it now my score would probably be 3/5 or less... plus, it's not exactly a small chunk of words.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:17 AM   #34
Bootleg Beerkeg
Squib

Personally loved it, one of the few decent mystery fan fictions I've read. The writing was excellent, and it was very well paced. The twists and mystery kept me invested the whole way through, easily a personal favourite. Also, all the chapters were released at once, giving me a new, complete story to read. Of course, it had its problems, and a few things were strange, as I don't quite remember Harry ever getting so... excessive... after anyone's death in canon.

Still a great story, easy 4.5 for me, rounded up to 5/5.
Bootleg Beerkeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:24 AM   #35
Jon
Administrator
The Ḑ͉͙̫̑̂ͮ̎̍͒̽̉̆̀ͅȇ̱̯̘̖̾͐͐͂͢m̴̢͙̟̤̤̝̍ͫ͂̏̒́͘o̒n

Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootleg Beerkeg View Post
Personally loved it, one of the few decent mystery fan fictions I've read. The writing was excellent, and it was very well paced. The twists and mystery kept me invested the whole way through, easily a personal favourite. Also, all the chapters were released at once, giving me a new, complete story to read. Of course, it had its problems, and a few things were strange, as I don't quite remember Harry ever getting so... excessive... after anyone's death in canon.

Still a great story, easy 4.5 for me, rounded up to 5/5.
This is a textbook acceptable post from a lurker.

It is short, concise, contains valuable information relating to how the user felt about the story. Praise them.

FFN Profile || WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB || Patronus

"Jon's fics are kinda like children in a way.
Bright, pretty, smart—children that any father would kill to have.
And he just tells them he needs to buy a pack of cigarettes."

—Lungs, 2015
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 09-30-2015, 12:28 AM   #36
Sauce Bauss
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Despite being impressed by the story, I didn't care for it. I thought most of the mystery telegraphed and Harry's break far too sudden. Technically, it is excellent. The pacing is handled well and the characterization for nearly all of the characters felt fine.

Nonetheless, it's not something that I would reread. 3.5/5, rounded to 4 because it probably deserves to be in the library despite my personal preferences and misgivings.
Sauce Bauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #37
Tomas19
Squib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
This is a textbook acceptable post from a lurker.

It is short, concise, contains valuable information relating to how the user felt about the story. Praise them.
Wrote a long response to this, pointing out that:

• Beerkeg Bootleg is a 36 hour old acct,
  • this post was 15 min after his first,
  • that this story has a rating of 3.88 stars and that a couple of 5 star reviews don't hurt in keeping this from falling below 3.5 stars into "Almost Recommendable'
  • and given the "wars" going on in General Fics & Almost Recommendable where throwaway accounts (I presume) are pushing certain stories back and forth between 3 & 4 stars to either force them back into 'For Review' or out of the Library, I was uncomfortable giving 'praise' to Beerkeg Bootleg when - at this point in time - this could just as easily be a throwaway as a lurker.
  • I also pointed out that only more time (and a review of activity by mods) can actually tell whether the account is legit.
When I posted that review, my security caught 'virulent javascript' coming from DLP that tried to grab information from my computer and killed my posting. This has never happened before; I don't know if its worth checking the site for any invasive intrusions.

Apologies for the diversion, but figured I point both out in one.
Tomas19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #38
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Yes? They signed up and started to post. As opposed to other people with actual, useful content. And on-topic, as opposed to your post. I am not sure I get what you want to point out, unless you want to construct a conspiracy over ratings of a Fanfiction in a forum (read that sentence again, please). You are posting to explain why you did not make a post praising someone elses post?

Also, there is no such thing as 'virulent javascript' on our end. You may want to make sure everything's good on your end.

Edit: Naturally, there'll be only reviews below my post. If there's still need for further clarification, profile message or PM.
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #39
Jon
Administrator
The Ḑ͉͙̫̑̂ͮ̎̍͒̽̉̆̀ͅȇ̱̯̘̖̾͐͐͂͢m̴̢͙̟̤̤̝̍ͫ͂̏̒́͘o̒n

Send a message via Skype™ to Jon
As far as I'm aware (pretty aware). That wouldn't have originated from the actual forums. Sounds like it may have been a browser hijacker, but I'd suggest posting in technical support with more details and Raven will take a better look at the case for you.

Also, I'm not quite sure what the issue was with the post I quoted. I specifically said that it was an example of a good post.

Edit: 'Praise them' was also a reference to Doctor Who link here

FFN Profile || WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB || Patronus

"Jon's fics are kinda like children in a way.
Bright, pretty, smart—children that any father would kill to have.
And he just tells them he needs to buy a pack of cigarettes."

—Lungs, 2015

Last edited by Jon; 09-30-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #40
Locke
Seventh Year

I just couldn't get into this fic. I think the death thing got me, but when that is the main point of the story, it really isn't a point against it, just something that i'm not looking for. I quit early though so I guess things may change.Technically though it is fantastic.

I'd give it a 3/5

Last edited by Locke; 09-30-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:master slytherin, complete, dark arts, harry/luna, mystery, tragedy