Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > General Fics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 05-23-2006, 10:30 PM   #21
Void Sorcerer
Groundskeeper

I must admitt that this was a pretty awsome story. Wow I believe is a great discription for it.

Void Sorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:40 AM   #22
Dark Syaoran
Persona
The Priestess Arcana

I expected more with all the wow's it got. Okay, but meh...
Dark Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #23
CootiePatootie

Hey. Since FA seems to have lost this fic (and author for that matter) does anyone have it archived? If so, would you be willing to share it with me? Thanks,

CP

cootiepatootie (at) yahoo.com

Thanks a million!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #24
nonjon
Alumni

It's a one-shot so you can easily read the whole thing from Google's cache here:
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...rmatia01a.html

Not sure if the author has posted it anywhere though.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #25
ChuckDaTruck
Overlord

That was VERY ill. And I mean that in the best way possible. Superb. Possibly the best one shot in fandom.

Everyone likes the way their own farts smell.

"I see," said the blind man to his deaf wife.

"Hey, Now" - Howard Stern
ChuckDaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #26
japanese_jew
High Inquisitor

meh. I have a few bones to pick with this. First of all, the cache isn't working, and second of all, "Hamartia" is Greek for the tragic flaw in a tragedy that ends up bringing the demise or misfortune of the Tragic Hero. As an example, in "The War on Iraq", Bush's hamartia could be, say, hubris. (Okay, that was stupid. I'll try again.) In "Oedipus Rex", Oedipus' hamartia is fucking his mom and killing his dad, and because Phoibos was an asshole.
japanese_jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #27
nonjon
Alumni

THREAD REOPENED since darklordmike oh so helpfully located a new working link to the fic. One in which the author conveniently fixed the spelling on her fic title.

First post's link has been updated.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #28
darklordmike
Auror

Not much to say about this one, except that you should read it if you haven't already done so. Definitely one of the best oneshots out there, for my money at least.

5/5
Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #29
Gatonio
Squib

Location: Mumbai (India), Leysin (Switzerland), London (England), it rotates
Oh my... That was... Oh my, my, my....
Amazing work... Stupendous. The last scene, it was like a final, fleeting crescendo that ended the stage with subtlety. The entire story was like a dramatic play filled with irony and rich with deceit. It was... aspirational! Bravo! Brava!

5/5

~ Edward Albee

"When childhood dies, its corpses are called adults and they enter society, one of the politer names of hell. That is why we dread children, even if we love them, they show us the state of our decay."

~ Brian Aldiss
Gatonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #30
Innomine
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,500
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
I think you mean 'Inspirational'.

Either way, will edit with comments, considering the reviews left here, I look forward to reading this quite a lot.
Innomine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #31
scaryisntit
Death Eater

Eh, it's okay. I mean, it delivers what it sets out to perfectly, it's well written, characterizations are excellent, and isn't drawn out any longer than it needed to be. But I feel I've read several other short pieces that achieve the exact same at the exact same level of author prowess (funnily enough, I also recall one similar to this that included minor slash references such as this). It didn't 'wow' me like the other pieces did - maybe because I feel I've read it all before, or because it just wasn't that great.

I'll be in the minority and rate it 3/5.
scaryisntit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #32
Maki
Sent Back to India

I've read this a while ago and this is definitely library-worthy. Why is it here?
Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #33
Andro
Master of Death

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I agree with scary, it's competently written, psychological, and all that, but it focuses on characters no one cares about, and feels like an Oscar-hungry movie.
Andro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #34
Novera
Seventh Year

Really good. It even managed, for the most part, to avoid the awkward sentences that are really common in this type of fic.

Quote:
legs oscillating like enormous, living pendulums
Though this line is very lulzy.
Novera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #35
Johnny Farrar
Professor

Awesome, is all I can say.

The writing is exceptional, the characterisation is perfect, the narration exquisite and very vivid.

In particular though, Dumbledore's characterisation was excellent. His manipulation's were also very nicely executed. He doesn't come out and say what he wants others to do, but gives barely enough subtle hints for people to do what he intends. I can definitely say that of all the manipulative!Dumbledore stories that I have seen done, this is one of the finest.

5/5, one of the best one-shots I have ever read.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #36
Memory King
Order Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
It was very interesting and well written, but it didn't quite have the same pull many of my favourite one-shots do. Still, it's definitely worth more than the Bin and it was an excellent read.

4/5

("Solstice, Potter, it's the winter solstice we're celebrating, did you think we cared for Santa Bloody Claus? You're such a Mudblood sometimes…")"

On the Way to Greatness
Memory King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #37
Agravaine
DA Member

One of the few early entries into the library that still passes muster. Peter and (manipulative!) Dumbledore are written with an uncharacteristic amount of depth, the prose hangs together well, and the final battle is evocatively stylized (even more so than its aftermath, justly lauded above). Of course, one might yearn for a touch more introspection as the divergence widens, or question if the narrative minimalism obscures crucial structural flaws (just how did Peter spend the intervening years?), or wish the author had struck an unlikable line from Sirius, and yet . . . it manages to turn canon on its head without challenging the integrity of the source, and that's a rare thing.

5/5

Last edited by Agravaine; 02-17-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Agravaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 02-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #38
Jarizok
Second Year

It's a good story well executed, but I agree with Andro in that it's too self aware in places for me. Novera gave the first and most heavily felt example, but it's felt all throughout that the author is trying, and mostly succeeding, to make a piece of literature, rather than a fanfic. There's nothing wrong with aiming high, and the result is rather good, but it does feel pretentious in places.

It's an unusual approach to a fanfic and it's stood the test of time, but I can't rate this 5/5 due to personal preference, so 4/5 it is.
Jarizok is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up

Tags
author:scela letifer, old story, oneshot