Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Support > Tech Support
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 05-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
Peter North
Dark Lord

Problems with Fanfiction.net

I've been noticing the past couple of days that I'm not receiving email alert from ff.net. I sent a response to the site support staff.

Is anyone else noticing a problem like this?
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

How long has it been for you? My latest update message was sent on the first and that's that last one shown updated in my Story > Alerts section of my profile.

Last edited by NuitTombee; 05-05-2017 at 08:28 PM.
NuitTombee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
Peter North
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuitTombee View Post
How long has it been for you? My latest update message was sent on the first and that's that last one show updated in my Story > Alerts section of my profile.
I'd say my last alert was on the first of May as well.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Old 05-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
mrkain
First Year

Yea no email alerts here either. They haven't been sent out since the first according to some authors I follow.
mrkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
Peter North
Dark Lord

This is the biggest problem with ff.net. They won't say when they have problems and they don't respond to support questions.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #6
Chadrew
Second Year

Also if you look at "Just In" list for updated fics, it's all screwy. Only newly published stories go through, new chapters in existing ones don't register as updated.
Chadrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
Verovir
Disappeared

Huh? If you didn't alert me, I wouldn't've (can I write it like this?) noticed. Thank you. Now I am on a frenzy to find out which fics updated in the meantime.
Verovir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

Looks pretty wide, to me.

I've just looked at the whole fandom "by most recent update". New stuff is getting published with the right times (there's one currently ~10 minutes old), but updates aren't changing the date of most recent update.

I went and followed the most recent update (not published), and checked my alerts section. That DID show the correct date of update, and showed it in the correct place.

So you'll have to manually check for updates, but there's a workaround to the issue.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
Kevv
Squib

My last recent chapter email alert was on Monday as well. I haven't recieved any recent story alerts since then. However, I then got a new story alert on Friday.
Kevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #10
Majube
Seventh Year

My last email alert was May first, as well. This is more messed up then usual from FFN.

Last edited by Majube; 05-07-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Majube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #11
Warlocke
Prisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter North View Post
This is the biggest problem with ff.net. They won't say when they have problems and they don't respond to support questions.
Abso-fuckin'-lutely.

How hard is it to slap a "We're having technical difficulties" message at the top of the front page (or any page)? Maybe an item on the news page so that people who check will know they should look for chapters they might have missed? I can see where sending out an e-mail to everyone signed up for alerts would be onerous, but couldn't they at least mention it on the site?

Getting them to deal with rules infractions is next to impossible, too. Honestly, I don't know if the way FFN deals with this stuff is down to lack of staff, incompetence, contempt for their own users, or total indifference.

For the record, my last "new chapter" update was on the 1st, and my last "new story" update was on the 3rd.

"Let me tell you a little something about love, Dennis. It has a voracious appetite. It eats everything- Friendship. Family. It kills me how much it eats. But I'll tell you something else. You feed it right, and it can be a beautiful thing, and that's what we have." - Arnie Cunningham, Christine

STEAM
Warlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:34 AM   #12
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
FFN got too big for its shoes. It's pretty obvious they don't give a shit what's going on as long as ad revenue is coming in.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 05-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #13
Oment
Chief Warlock
The Betrayer

I had three stories update on me in the last 24h, and no emails. Review emails have been borked since at least last week of April, too.

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #14
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

No emails since the first here either. I haven't had a chance to see if Scryer is affected by update date screwups, or if the search lit has the correct dates.

If you go into your alerts it'll give you a list of stories by update date, I was able to use that to see what had updated.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #15
Warlocke
Prisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ravenclaw View Post
If you go into your alerts it'll give you a list of stories by update date, I was able to use that to see what had updated.
Just so you know, whenever I see your titles, I sing "Sys-tem God!" in my head the same way they used to sing "Tro-jan Man!" in the condom commercials.

"Let me tell you a little something about love, Dennis. It has a voracious appetite. It eats everything- Friendship. Family. It kills me how much it eats. But I'll tell you something else. You feed it right, and it can be a beautiful thing, and that's what we have." - Arnie Cunningham, Christine

STEAM
Warlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-07-2017, 10:45 PM   #16
EsperJones
Order Member

I was considering making this thread. Pretty sure it's site-wide, but only for story alerts.

A few of the authors I'm following posted A/Ns regarding it, and one made a new story alert (which did go through): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12476788/1/
EsperJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #17
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I don't get e-mail alerts so I can't comment on those, but I've been noticing that several fics have updated without saying they've updated. Stories that updated today - May 7 - still read as having their last update sometime in April, for example.

This has led me to go and manually check some of my favorite fics in the hope that they updated and just didn't let me know.

Cue disappointment.
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #18
fire
High Inquisitor

Same for me here, just discovered some of the fics i was following updated without FFN sending notificatioj. This happened before iirc - does anyone else remember how long they took to fix this?
Old 05-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #19
Peter North
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire View Post
Same for me here, just discovered some of the fics i was following updated without FFN sending notificatioj. This happened before iirc - does anyone else remember how long they took to fix this?
It's Fanfiction.net so wether it takes a week or more one can only guess.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #20
Vesqu
Squib

FFN email alert seems to be working again.
Vesqu is offline   Reply With Quote