Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 03-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #501
Andrela
Mistress of Death
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atram Noctem View Post
How about Starfox5?
I don't think there's an author I hate more than him.

In fact, this whole Hermione worship in certain parts of the fandom is extremely annoying.

And I bet this is all because of Emma Watson. Goddamn how I wish these movies were never created.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #502
vlad
Second Year

High Score: 2000
I don't know - Alan Rickman didn't help, but you know there were always diehard Snape fangirls. I assume the same is true for Harmonians.

A bit of an anti-peeve: I always laugh when definitely becomes defiantly. Always adds sauce.

Proper peeve: the word 'magical' used as an adjective to distinguish between a magical and a mundane version of the same thing. Rowling had to do it when she was introducing the world, but really it should be used sparingly, because wizard's shouldn't say it: to them the thing isn't the magical thing, it's just the thing.

Example: Yes, it's called Wizard's Chess, but Ron has never played anything else, so there's no real need for him to distinguish it, except to tell the reader in book 1 what is going on. So in the common room, Ron should say things like, "Fancy a game of chess, Harry?" not "Harry, up for a game of Wizard's Chess?"

Magical portraits. Wizards talking to one another about the magical sport of quidditch which they play on magic brooms. Azkaban being headlined in the magical newspaper as the magical prison.

This is especially true among the British, who have a long and storied history of not adding distinguishing adjectives when they were the first to do something (or feel like they should have been). The Times. The Meteorological Office. The Queen. The Palace. The Exchequer. The Civil Service. The Empire. The Colonies. The Universities (both of them). And on and on and on.

Vlad is a poopy head

Last edited by vlad; 03-25-2017 at 12:53 PM.
vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #503
Ryz
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaegar I View Post
Try this one for size:

1. Harry is a super genius and/or has a ton of powers.

2. Literally every single woman, including his own sisters, is on some level sexually attracted to Harry. None of them seem to like any other man, presumably because they're all sexist pigs or something.

3. Literally every single woman (including Fem!Harry) is a lesbian, but still find Harry hot. Gay men don't seem to exist.

4. Harry probably has at least one sister. If he has a brother, it can only be as a WBWL.

5. Hermione, Ginny, and Luna are all good people that will immediately follow Harry and everything they say.

6. Dumbledore, Ron, and Molly are all horrible people who are, among other things, insanely sexist and homophobic. Kindly ignore how Dumbledore of all people is homophobic.

7. Harry will literally spend more time fighting Dumbledore and co. than Voldemort. In fact, you get the sense Dumbledore is supposed to be worse.

8. Harry inevitably runs away from the Wizarding World because of how awful it is, but comes back when he's a teenager and manages to kick its ass insanely easily.

9. Harems are going to happen, because like I said, every single (lesbian) woman is still going to be attracted to Harry enough to want him badly.

Uh, I feel dirty that I know all that. And I didn't even get to Silently Watches.
That makes me sick
Ryz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #504
Pedro
Looked into the void

Ice Queens ffs she is just a teenage girl.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #505
Ryz
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrela View Post
I don't think there's an author I hate more than him.

In fact, this whole Hermione worship in certain parts of the fandom is extremely annoying.

And I bet this is all because of Emma Watson. Goddamn how I wish these movies were never created.
I think the scarier part is that there are thousands of people who want to read this. If someone wants to write trash that's fine, but if there are thousands of people who want to read said trash then there is definitely (defiantly :P) a problem.

The most shocking thing I have found about fanfiction in general is the respective ages of the authors who write a lot of this garbage. Most of them are adults and yet they still believe in the idea that these children, who are in all accounts average, can outsmart and outfight adults. Moreover, every parenting figure, or adult for that matter besides the occasional Snape centric story are evil and controlling.

How do people like reading this trash? And how are authors proud of what they write?
Old 03-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #506
wordhammer
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryz View Post
I think the scarier part is that there are thousands of people who want to read this. If someone wants to write trash that's fine, but if there are thousands of people who want to read said trash then there is definitely (defiantly :P) a problem.

How do people like reading this trash? And how are authors proud of what they write?
'Literature' isn't as popular, as palatable, as melodrama and showboating. This is why Shawshank Redemption earns one twelfth as much as Independence Day.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #507
Ryz
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordhammer View Post
'Literature' isn't as popular, as palatable, as melodrama and showboating. This is why Shawshank Redemption earns one twelfth as much as Independence Day.
But does it pain you to watch Independence day? Yes, it is no masterpiece by any means, but it is still a professionally made movie that looks its part.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #508
wordhammer
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
But does it pain you to watch Independence day? Yes, it is no masterpiece by any means, but it is still a professionally made movie that looks its part.
Putting it more directly, if you want to be well-paid as a writer, you should write romance novels.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #509
vlad
Second Year

High Score: 2000
A peeve that is entirely my own fault:

- see new fic tagged HP/DG
- open fic
- close fic in disgust within ten minutes
- forget fic
- fic gets updated at some future date
- see fic, note by link color and vague recollection of title that I've already opened it, sorta remember it sucked bigly but cannot recall specifics of that particular fic
- click link thinking maybe I was just in a picky mood that day
- hate self

Vlad is a poopy head
vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #510
Ghosthree3
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad View Post
A peeve that is entirely my own fault:

- see new fic tagged HP/DG
- open fic
- close fic in disgust within ten minutes
- forget fic
- fic gets updated at some future date
- see fic, note by link color and vague recollection of title that I've already opened it, sorta remember it sucked bigly but cannot recall specifics of that particular fic
- click link thinking maybe I was just in a picky mood that day
- hate self
Ooooh yeah I've done that. Worse I did it three times to the same fic and it wasn't until the end of the first (5,000 word) chapter that I remembered why each time.
Ghosthree3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 5 thumbs up
Old 03-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #511
Ryz
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthree3 View Post
Ooooh yeah I've done that. Worse I did it three times to the same fic and it wasn't until the end of the first (5,000 word) chapter that I remembered why each time.
I wish we could filter out fics that we know are awful or, for the matter, authors.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #512
Saot
Groundskeeper

I find it baffling that FFN still doesn't have any tracking of what stories you've read.
Saot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:10 PM   #513
Cyclops
Unspeakable

Quote:
I wish we could filter out fics that we know are awful or, for the matter, authors.
There used to be an "ignore" extension a few years ago where you could ignore fics, fics by certain authors, by character listings, and or by pairings. I think I remember FFN updating their site to block that particular extension.
"Every day you sit behind your desk and you learn a little more how to accept the world the way it is. Well, here's the rub: heroes don't do that. Heroes don't accept the world the way it is. They fight it." - Lindsey McDonald, Angel

"So. You’ve finally been inside me. I feel like I should be offering you a cigarette.” - Molly Carpenter, The Dresden Files: Ghost Story
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:15 PM   #514
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

I thought this had lost popularity and it's freaking annoying.

You know I was almost in Slytherin Harry told Daphne the self proclaimed Ice Queen. Draco was such a dick that I chose to get sorted into Gryffindor.

OMG cried Daphne I can't believe it. Let me teach you some pureblood customs and give you a new hairstyle.

Literally if you come across an of those sentences in a fic something along those lines will be written.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad

Last edited by Peter North; 03-25-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Peter North is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up