Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Real Life Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #3561
Xiph0
Administrator
First Tovarisch

Sometimes I drink coffee up until bedtime and then take 9 mg of Melatonin and sleep like a baby. I'm usually thinking about how amazing the modern world is as I fall asleep.
Xiph0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #3562
Garden
Minister for Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0 View Post
Sometimes I drink coffee up until bedtime and then take 9 mg of Melatonin and sleep like a baby. I'm usually thinking about how amazing the modern world is as I fall asleep.
If I do that I have ridiculously vivid dreams. I end up waking up ~6 hours later, unable to fall back asleep but still groggy. I miss caffeine

I was getting annoyed at needing caffeine to avoid withdrawal headaches, plus I want to resensitize myself to it before school starts. Sleep seems to have improved after tapering off.
Garden is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #3563
Nazgus
Unspeakable

Just hit me that I've yet to secure housing for my summer internship that I've known about for months. No real reason why. I just put it on my mental 'things I should do in the near future' list and forgot about it. Cue frantic searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King
Nazgus is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old Today, 12:20 AM   #3564
Giovanni
The Fifth House
God of Scotch

TOMD: A friend is helping his husband in applying for a hardship waiver on his visa, and I was one of the people who got to write a letter. I really need to brush up on my writing skills.

Quote:
Xiph0 What then?

Xiph0 Everyone needs projects.

Giovanni No long term projects except the goal of acquiring more property so that I can die.
Giovanni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:14 AM   #3565
Halt
Professor
1/3 of the Note Bros.

Fourth day in France, still haven't found Fleur.

Halt's Archive Project: Other Fandom Almost Recommended | RWBY Features | Worm Features
Halt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old Today, 09:17 AM   #3566
Johnnyseattle
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter North View Post
TOMD: Had my orientation today at work from 9 am to 3 pm. Now I'm trying to acclimate myself to a third shift sleep schedule so that I can go in at 10 pm Monday night. I was barely able to get a wink of sleep this evening so now I'm going to try and stay up all night and go to bed around 10 am tomorrow morning.

It's going to be a long night.
People have mentioned blackout curtains ad nauseam, but something else to consider is sleeping with a fan or other noise source going. Daytime is just so much noisier than nighttime, and that's what throws more people off, I think. I can sleep in broad daylight just as well as I can anytime else, but if it's too quiet... no chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E. Delivery View Post
Neither noticed Neville Longbottom watching them and masturbating furiously.
Johnnyseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:05 AM   #3567
Perspicacity
High Inquisitor
High Score: 3,994

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgus View Post
Just hit me that I've yet to secure housing for my summer internship that I've known about for months. No real reason why. I just put it on my mental 'things I should do in the near future' list and forgot about it. Cue frantic searching.
Knowing where you're working this summer, I'd say you're ever so slightly fucked. A thousand students and probably another 300 academics and postdocs converge on the place (with a county population of all of 18,000 people) over the summer months, leaving very few rental options open. My first summer there as a student years back, I ended up letting a room (with roommate) at the now-defunct White Rock Motor Lodge all summer.

Check out the surrounding communities. Santa Fe would be a first choice. Pojoaque and Espańola? Less desirable, though workable (and, like Santa Fe, connected by Park and Ride buses). A place up in the Jemez mountains? Great outdoors, but an hour-long drive each way. Pitching a tent in Bandelier National Monument? I've seen it done (and wouldn't recommend it).

Last edited by Perspicacity; Today at 10:08 AM.
Perspicacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old Today, 11:17 AM   #3568
Nazgus
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
Knowing where you're working this summer, I'd say you're ever so slightly fucked. A thousand students and probably another 300 academics and postdocs converge on the place (with a county population of all of 18,000 people) over the summer months, leaving very few rental options open. My first summer there as a student years back, I ended up letting a room (with roommate) at the now-defunct White Rock Motor Lodge all summer.

Check out the surrounding communities. Santa Fe would be a first choice. Pojoaque and Espańola? Less desirable, though workable (and, like Santa Fe, connected by Park and Ride buses). A place up in the Jemez mountains? Great outdoors, but an hour-long drive each way. Pitching a tent in Bandelier National Monument? I've seen it done (and wouldn't recommend it).
In my defense, this is my first time doing any sort of search for housing, so the realities of the situation were very much no clear to me, and I've had a very hectic semester between starting working on research with a professor and working part time (on top of my classes of course). Still not really an excuse when the internship has been set in stone since January though...

Got in contact with 10 places yesterday, 5 of which have gotten back to me and have no availability. There has been some good news though. One of them said that if I don't find anything they could lay a cot for me in the corner of one of the rooms. Not ideal sure, but the place is in Los Alamos itself, and as long as I have a place to sleep I'll deal with the rest and take it as a lesson well learned.

EDIT: Kinda glad I got some money saved up and will have a bit of a well paying remote side thing. I think I'll just book something on Airbnb if none of the places I've contacted get back to me by the end of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King

Last edited by Nazgus; Today at 11:26 AM.
Nazgus is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up