Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 06:29 AM   #61
cooladoola
Second Year
 
cooladoola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseTomato View Post
I wasn't pulling that info out of my arse.
Huh, and? It doesn't state anything along the lines of 'impossibility' of brewing the potion; something I stated.

Last edited by cooladoola; 05-23-2017 at 06:35 AM.
cooladoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:48 AM   #62
TheWiseTomato
Prisoner
Tactical Tomato
 
TheWiseTomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Aussie in Canada.
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,788
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooladoola View Post
It's just a potion. It can be created by anyone or it could have been stolen from Snape's cabinet for all we know. Again, the probability is there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooladoola View Post
Anyone with a good grasp of potions should be able to brew it. The books don't suggest that it's impossible to make.
Not impossible, just highly improbable. It takes more than a good grasp of potions to brew - Draco had 'a good grasp' but he wouldn't have been capable. The only people at Hogwarts during DH capable of brewing Felix were Snape and Slughorn, and they both had more pressing matters on their minds.
__________________
Yes, you do have a soul. It tastes like butterscotch pudding.


Have Australian citizenship, will sham marriage for $$$.


"Come and fight you whoresons! I am Druss and this is Death!"


I'm on Steam.
TheWiseTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #63
cooladoola
Second Year
 
cooladoola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseTomato View Post
Not impossible, just highly improbable. It takes more than a good grasp of potions to brew - Draco had 'a good grasp' but he wouldn't have been capable. The only people at Hogwarts during DH capable of brewing Felix were Snape and Slughorn, and they both had more pressing matters on their minds.
Which is what I stated that there could be a 'probability' of this being the case. Let it be a slim one. Draco had a good grasp? He was mostly shown to struggle in potion classes. I would say that Hermoine had a good grasp of potions. Draco had a decent one.
cooladoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #64
TheWiseTomato
Prisoner
Tactical Tomato
 
TheWiseTomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Aussie in Canada.
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,788
DLP Supporter Donor Star
You said it could be created by "anyone" or "anyone with a good grasp of potions". I responded with a source stating that this wasn't the case.
__________________
Yes, you do have a soul. It tastes like butterscotch pudding.


Have Australian citizenship, will sham marriage for $$$.


"Come and fight you whoresons! I am Druss and this is Death!"


I'm on Steam.
TheWiseTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #65
Severus
Sent Back to India
 
Join Date: May 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 24
That Severus never got a lover. Would have been nice if had a happy ending. I think he deserved to marry hotness like Fleur Dleacour or Daphne after all the shit he faced.
Severus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #66
Blinker
Fifth Year
 
Blinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bristol, UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 140
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus View Post
That Severus never got a lover. Would have been nice if had a happy ending. I think he deserved to marry hotness like Fleur Dleacour or Daphne after all the shit he faced.
Are you someone's second, joke, account?

Not that you'd admit it, but you don't have the opinions of a plausible human being.
Blinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #67
Chengar Qordath
High Inquisitor
The Final Pony
 
Chengar Qordath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 569
High Score: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinker View Post
Are you someone's second, joke, account?

Not that you'd admit it, but you don't have the opinions of a plausible human being.
I dunno, I could buy Snape being a creepy pedophile who wants to molest underage girls.
__________________
@Patreon: Link
Chengar Qordath is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-24-2017, 06:13 AM   #68
cooladoola
Second Year
 
cooladoola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseTomato View Post
You said it could be created by "anyone" or "anyone with a good grasp of potions". I responded with a source stating that this wasn't the case.
Mate, it doesn't state it can't be created by people with 'good' grasp of potions. Now, either your gradations of 'good' happen to be Draco or I have a higher bar.

Really, this discussion is going nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengar Qordath View Post
I dunno, I could buy Snape being a creepy pedophile who wants to molest underage girls.
Well, Hermione and Snape happens to be one of the most popular FF pairings. Can you really blame him?


P.s: Wait, he got banned? That was fast!

Last edited by cooladoola; 05-24-2017 at 07:34 AM.
cooladoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #69
TheWiseTomato
Prisoner
Tactical Tomato
 
TheWiseTomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Aussie in Canada.
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,788
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooladoola View Post
Mate, it doesn't state it can't be created by people with 'good' grasp of potions. Now, either your gradations of 'good' happen to be Draco or I have a higher bar.
Six month process - disastrous to get wrong. I'd say you have to be a bit more than 'good' to brew it. And if you want to quibble on Malfoy's skill in potions, he was in the NEWT class, which means he got either an EE or an O on his OWL.

Quote:
Really, this discussion is going nowhere.
Ha, stick around and you'll see some real pointless discussions. This isn't even close.
__________________
Yes, you do have a soul. It tastes like butterscotch pudding.


Have Australian citizenship, will sham marriage for $$$.


"Come and fight you whoresons! I am Druss and this is Death!"


I'm on Steam.
TheWiseTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-27-2017, 01:15 AM   #70
torrent56
Second Year
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus View Post
That Severus never got a lover. Would have been nice if had a happy ending. I think he deserved to marry hotness like Fleur Dleacour or Daphne after all the shit he faced.
Lol what do we know about Daphne in canon other than as a name in Harry's year? Guess projection is king here. Severus would never want someone else by the way given his feelings for Lily.

On another note, I have to say Felix Felicis is a rather lame plot device. Fortunately it wasn't made out to be a silver bullet that can literally solve everything like others said. However, there was little excuse for Harry to not at least ask help to make more and store them for future use. Yes, he did think about it after he first used it in chapter 24 and found out it took six months (and it was disastrous to get wrong) but he should have thought about it much earlier. Even when they did the recipe is very difficult, they should have at least tried to make it given how valuable it is.

I think this is a problem with HBP in general that the students just seemed to stay so passive in the face of the open war against Voldemort being waged outside the school. Why does Harry spend so more time brooding about Ginny and romance in general and even thought about wasting his lucky potion on Ginny when there's a murderous dark wizard outside?

Last edited by torrent56; 05-27-2017 at 07:37 AM. Reason: edited for grammar mistakes
torrent56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:48 AM   #71
Dicra
Seventh Year
 
Dicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrent56 View Post
On another note, I have to say Felix Felicis is a rather lame plot device. Fortunately it wasn't made out to be a silver bullet that can literally solve everything. Like others said. However, there was little excuse for Harry to not at least ask help to make more and store them for future use.
There was little excuse for EVERYONE, especially Voldemort, to not at least use that when they were about to do important things. Like, for example, trying to kill the one seemingly fated to destroy you.
Felix Felicis, Pensieves, Occlumency/Legilimency. Three of the least thought-through concepts of the series.
__________________
http://www.fanfiktion.de/s/54a5ec9b0...Kindheitsmagie

Nothing to write home about, but if you aren't bothered by it being German and the first two chapters being quite unrealistic, it might be something for you.
Dicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #72
TRH
Slug Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: On Your Six
Gender: Male
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicra View Post
There was little excuse for EVERYONE, especially Voldemort, to not at least use that when they were about to do important things. Like, for example, trying to kill the one seemingly fated to destroy you.
Felix Felicis, Pensieves, Occlumency/Legilimency. Three of the least thought-through concepts of the series.
Pensieves don't break nearly as much if you assume that just like the Deluminator, Dumbledore has the only one and others won't accept evidence from a device they're not familiar with. Despite this, I've yet to see a story that runs with that. The Imperius Curse, on the other hand, seems quite overpowered.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #73
torrent56
Second Year
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicra View Post
There was little excuse for EVERYONE, especially Voldemort, to not at least use that when they were about to do important things. Like, for example, trying to kill the one seemingly fated to destroy you.
Felix Felicis, Pensieves, Occlumency/Legilimency. Three of the least thought-through concepts of the series.
I am assuming that Voldemort and his Death Eaters were planning to take over the Ministry as played out in DH and so most of their energy that year was focused to achieving that goal which meant that Harry was able to live in relative peace for a while. I think Voldemort might have realised that in order to kill Harry, Dumbledore has to go first and he couldn't do very much to Harry if Dumbledore was still around at Hogwarts.

It was said that Voldemort stopped using Legiliemncy against Harry because he could not endure penetrating the mind of someone who is supposedly full of love. It may not be a perfectly plausible explanation, but at least it's there.
torrent56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #74
Dicra
Seventh Year
 
Dicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrent56 View Post
I am assuming that Voldemort and his Death Eaters were planning to take over the Ministry as played out in DH and so most of their energy that year was focused to achieving that goal which meant that Harry was able to live in relative peace for a while. I think Voldemort might have realised that in order to kill Harry, Dumbledore has to go first and he couldn't do very much to Harry if Dumbledore was still around at Hogwarts.

It was said that Voldemort stopped using Legiliemncy against Harry because he could not endure penetrating the mind of someone who is supposedly full of love. It may not be a perfectly plausible explanation, but at least it's there.
?
What are you referring to? Legilimency/Occlumency isn't thought through because no one except Voldemort, Dumbledore and Snape seems to know it despite it being such a powerful and useful thing, especially in politics. They should be commonly known and used OR explicitly forbidden, and there's no hint of that in the books.
__________________
http://www.fanfiktion.de/s/54a5ec9b0...Kindheitsmagie

Nothing to write home about, but if you aren't bothered by it being German and the first two chapters being quite unrealistic, it might be something for you.
Dicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #75
Pandelion
Squib
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 6
Oh my god, you have no idea how log i've been waiting to get all this off my chest.

1. Hermione: she just Won't. Shut. Up. She spends all seven books nagging Harry and Ron and showing off how much more than everyone else she knows. I can't stand people like her in real life, if your friends don't feel like studying or doing their homework, then that's their problem, you can't force them. I also find those people who obsess over grades to be unbearable and the way that she keeps going on and on and on about what she supossedly did wrong on her exams while waiting for her grades is just obnoxious. Please don't get me started on SPEW.

2. Ron: He is the complete opposite of Hermione but at the same time, he is just as annoying. He never wants to do ANYTHING, all he does is whine whine whine anytime he has to move for anything that isn't chess, food or quidditch, he is the definition of useless, and the way that he is so jealous of orphan, abused Harry who is also the target of assasination attempts every freaking year is just sickening. If i was Harry I would have sent him packing on fourth year when he turned against him.

3. Harry: I have to be clear here, I don't really dislike harrys character, i would have been perfectly fine with him... if he wasn't the protagonist. I just dislike the fact that he is so utterly normal. I'm not saying that he should have been a gary stu, no need to jump to the other side of the spectrum, but i like my protagonists to have something that makes them special, an special ability or maybe an instinctual grasp of magic or at least an abnormaly large magical power (we get hints that Harry is quite powerful but it seems a bit inconsistent from book to book), the only thing that Harry seems to have on his side is that he was seemingly born with Felix Felicis instead of blood, or at least that's the only explanation i've been able to come up with for his unbelivable lucky streak that lasts through all seven books.

4. Voldemort: I honestly feel like I don't even need to explain this one. He is one of the most cliche villains i've ever seen, he does bad things because he is a DARK LORD and EVIL and he is completely and totally irrational on his actions, it feels at times like all the war waged by him was just one huge temper tantrum because he didn't get a hug when he was little. What happened to the "brilliant" student that both Dumbledore and Slughorn remember? He is supposed to be a genius, not a psychopath ruled but emotion who can't reason, he is so caught up in his own awsomeness that he seems incapable of counting anyone as a threat. Finally, his death was utterly anticlimatic, I wanted a huge duel and, i know that Harry could have never realistically beat him, but at least something else, something better.

There are a bunch of other thing i want to complain about, like the lack of any explanations regarding magic, but I've gone on long enough so I'll leave it at this for now.
Pandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #76
Dicra
Seventh Year
 
Dicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandelion View Post

2. Ron: He is the complete opposite of Hermione but at the same time, he is just as annoying. He never wants to do ANYTHING, all he does is whine whine whine anytime he has to move for anything that isn't chess, food or quidditch, he is the definition of useless, and the way that he is so jealous of orphan, abused Harry who is also the target of assasination attempts every freaking year is just sickening. If i was Harry I would have sent him packing on fourth year when he turned against him.
Are you doing that on purpose? There've been so many Ron discussions on this forum in the past few weeks and after three days, there's always some guy who just again posts the same shit that some members have already tirelessly argued against.
__________________
http://www.fanfiktion.de/s/54a5ec9b0...Kindheitsmagie

Nothing to write home about, but if you aren't bothered by it being German and the first two chapters being quite unrealistic, it might be something for you.
Dicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #77
Atram Noctem
Professor
 
Atram Noctem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandelion View Post
the only thing that Harry seems to have on his side is that he was seemingly born with Felix Felicis instead of blood
To be fair, Harry has just as much bad luck as good luck. The list of things that got accidentally wrong in his life is huge.

Also, I don't think he was "normal" at all. Perhaps you think that because you're so used to his character, but you know, most teens don't sneak around trying to solve mysteries in school.

I have to join Dicra in his opinions about overpowered plot devices - the series was just choke full of them, and it's one of the reasons why there exists such a large number of fics where everything is solved easily simply because of Veritaserum/magical oaths/Imperius/Pensieves/time-travel/house-elves. This is also expressed in the way Rowling makes characters like Dumbledore or Voldemort look like gods, and then doesn't have them use their actual supposed power (giving rise to Dumbledore bashing), because she wants Harry to solve things instead of Dumbledore, and for Harry to be able to fight Voldemort.
__________________
Do not feed the plot bunnies.

Last edited by Atram Noctem; 05-27-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Atram Noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #78
Jack of theives
Squib
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: India
Gender: Male
Posts: 6
I hated the general vagueness about how magic worked in the story and also the fact that harry didn't show much enthusiasm in studying magic even after being put in life threatening situations several times
Jack of theives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #79
torrent56
Second Year
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicra View Post
?
What are you referring to? Legilimency/Occlumency isn't thought through because no one except Voldemort, Dumbledore and Snape seems to know it despite it being such a powerful and useful thing, especially in politics. They should be commonly known and used OR explicitly forbidden, and there's no hint of that in the books.
I was explaining why I think Voldemort did not use Legilimency against Harry in HBP before is that clear?

As to why Legilimency/Occlumency wasn't used more often, you didn't really make it clear you asked that question before so I can't answer it.

Well we do know that Bellatrix tried to teach Draco Malfoy how to use Legilimency/Occlumency as well so that's more than three people. Otherwise, I can only presume it's a pretty hard concept to master and Dumbledore, Voldemort and Snape are all very powerful wizards. I guess if lots of people working at the Ministry cannot produce a decent shield charm (as per the twins' claim in HBP), there really is no chance they can master something as complex as Occlumency.

I honestly think this concept is thought through better than some of the other concepts like wandlore for example.

Pandelion Just because you found a trait of someone annoying does not mean that's true. The same goes for when you claim a character is useless or whatever, it doesn't mean you're right especially when it's contradicted by canon as I can point to tonnes of examples that contradict what you said. The part where you said Harry should dump Ron or Hermione forced her friends to do homework ... you really have no clue what canon said then?

Voldemort - Lol Voldemort started the war because he wanted to rule the wizard world and he was a genius because he found out about the Horcruxes and actively procured artifacts from different founders to make and use them to make himself immortal, something nobody has ever done before, 'nuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicra View Post
Are you doing that on purpose? There've been so many Ron discussions on this forum in the past few weeks and after three days, there's always some guy who just again posts the same shit that some members have already tirelessly argued against.
I second this.

Last edited by torrent56; 05-27-2017 at 06:24 PM.
torrent56 is offline   Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How would you tweak canon? Taure General Discussion 105 01-14-2015 11:09 AM
Canon Harry ~ 0jordinio0 General Discussion 12 02-02-2014 12:27 AM
Canon Magic Harvest King FanFic Discussion 49 11-26-2010 02:34 PM
What Do You Count As Canon? Taure General Discussion 61 07-28-2008 01:51 PM
Next character in canon to die is.... Midknight General Discussion 37 08-12-2005 04:40 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2016 DLP Group. All rights reserved.
No personal intellectual property on this site may be used without the credit and express permission of the respective authors.