Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #541
Ghosthree3
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Persico View Post
I recently read a couple of fics that reminded me a pet peeve that I have since I started to read FanFiction, and to me not only it makes the fic less readable but it lessens the impact it could have had.

It’s hard to put a name to it, my pet peeve is when the fic has too much family. It usually begins with a lot of abusing by the Dursleys, the fic progresses and then someone adopts Harry. In the fics I mentioned early he is adopted by Amelia Bones and Sirius Black respectively. The thing is, they start to solve every little problem Harry has, and it’s very frustrating because it happens (and with a lot of past fics too) that he is growing a lot and he starts to learn magic seriously and you can see how he is adapting himself to have power, use it and win fights. This fics usually come with a lot of “talks”, where the author puts a lot of work, man… It frustrates me, put it in the fights, the conflict, make the bomb not so easy to deactivate! I just don’t care how Harry is growing emotionally, I never cared in the past either. This kind of fics are wrote that way, it’s like some guy set a list you have to follow and this authors do exactly that, I don’t know, since 2002 maybe. You find some gems, but they are surrounded in so much shit it takes that value away. And without fault, there always is that Lords Ladies crap FFN loves, with meetings in the Wizengamot, pureblood customs, etc. Fuck that shit.

I need a Harry that learns magic, is powerful, my suspension of disbelief is not destroyed and then, if you see it essential, can have a decent relationship with Sirius or whatever father/mother figure you want.
I feel you, I loathe fics that spend the majority of their time in pseudo family environments where fake problems are created just to be solved by that environment. I'm far from against 'family' in fiction or anything, I just don't like it done this particular way because I desire to read fics more like you mentioned. 'Indie' Harry, at least as a major/early component, is just far more interesting.
Ghosthree3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #542
Download
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
So, just got this email:

Quote:
You wrote:

This is France we're talking about. University is free.

Lol responded:

Not if Chloe goes to grandes écoles. Which would make more sense since she's from a rich and well known background, and that gets paid for.

Anyway, it's fanfiction and it shouldn't matter to you. It's a good fic, leave them alone if you don't have anything nice to say about it

There not even the author. Just some moral crusader who feels the need to get offended on the author's behalf by a polite comment.

These are the sorts of people why ff authors rarely grow. You can't improve without criticism.
Download is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #543
vlad
Slug Club Member

High Score: 2000
Quote:
Sure Nina Viserova sounded like a girl’s name, but what were the chances that one of the five female Durmstrang students would have been selected instead of one of the nine male ones?
Given that the names were explicitly drawn at random, I'm going with 5/14.

vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #544
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

I've seen this a few times and can't stop shaking my head. When an author writes an OC and tries to pass them off as a canon character even after they've changed their name and everything.

Harry Potter dies only to be reborn as (pick your characters name) he no longer looks like Harry Potter, and he no longer has any character traits of Harry Potter, but the author swears he is still Harry Potter with a new name.

Then the author repeats his new characters name over and over again every other sentence because he can't use other pronouns to describe his character.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad

Last edited by Peter North; 04-27-2017 at 02:44 AM.
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 04-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #545
Cyclops
Unspeakable

Ginny being praised to high heaven for her bat-bogey hex. I was reading a fic where she had barely 4 lines the first three school years, then when Harry is in his fourth year it switches POV to Ginny for a very little time but it opens with something along the lines of "Ginny Weasley, the youngest and most feared member of the Weasley family, famous for her signature bat-bogey hex...'

What the hell? 13 year old Ginny is the most feared Weasley? lol She's barely in the fic and when she shows up after a few hundred thousand words its for the narration to tell us how great she is? Ugh.

---

Despite Harry being sorted into a different house, befriending different people and/or learning about Wizard culture... he still ends up being friends with Hermione and led around by the nose. Also the troll incident still happens for some reason and contrived reasons for Harry to be there.

I don't know how many fics I"ve read where this happens. What is the obsession with Harry being bossed around and lectured by Hermione?
"Every day you sit behind your desk and you learn a little more how to accept the world the way it is. Well, here's the rub: heroes don't do that. Heroes don't accept the world the way it is. They fight it." - Lindsey McDonald, Angel

"So. You’ve finally been inside me. I feel like I should be offering you a cigarette.” - Molly Carpenter, The Dresden Files: Ghost Story
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #546
vlad
Slug Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Stuff
To expand the point, anytime a character is described as having a 'signature X' or a 'patented Y', u no itz gonna be terrible.

Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-26-2017, 11:38 PM   #547
Seylliani
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad View Post
To expand the point, anytime a character is described as having a 'signature X' or a 'patented Y', u no itz gonna be terrible.
So are you telling me that Dumbledore's signature eye twinkle is not a good way to describe my characters? How can this be??????? My favorite author, HarryxSnapeXRiddle51231 does that all the time.
Seylliani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:42 AM   #548
kira and light
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Ginny being praised to high heaven for her bat-bogey hex. I was reading a fic where she had barely 4 lines the first three school years, then when Harry is in his fourth year it switches POV to Ginny for a very little time but it opens with something along the lines of "Ginny Weasley, the youngest and most feared member of the Weasley family, famous for her signature bat-bogey hex...'

What the hell? 13 year old Ginny is the most feared Weasley? lol She's barely in the fic and when she shows up after a few hundred thousand words its for the narration to tell us how great she is? Ugh.
Lol, sounds like you describe Ginny in Half Blood Prince this shit was somewhat canon, IIRC Ginny used her super awesome bat-bogey hex on a other student got praised to high heaven by Slughorn and a invitation to the Club.

After which Fred and George gushed about how scary and awesome she is. To be fair it wasn't that blatant but still very poorly handled by JK to make Ginny awesome.

Quote:
Also seems canon, you can of course like and dislike whatever you want but Dumbledore, Snape, Harry, Ginny all have that twinkle, billowing robes (lol not that sure if that is fanon or canon anymore tbh) Expelliarmus or Bat- Bogey hex.

Just because it is poorly implemented in FF, which as a whole has 99,9% garbage storys doesn't make it that unreasonable imo. Nobody wants to read about a super special OC but for a prodigy like Tom Riddle to have developed some kind of signature spell etc. it doesn't seems that strange.

Last edited by kira and light; 04-27-2017 at 04:00 AM.
kira and light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:29 AM   #549
Stan
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira and light View Post
Lol, sounds like you describe Ginny in Half Blood Prince this shit was somewhat canon, IIRC Ginny used here super awesome bat-bogey hex on a other student got praised to high heaven by Slughorn and a invitation to the Club.

After which Fred and George gushed about how scary and awesome she is. To be fair it wasn't that blatant but still very poorly handled by JK to make Ginny awesome.
She had used the same hex before against Malfoy in OotP, to escape the Inquisitorial squad in Umbridge's office.

Last edited by Stan; 04-27-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:29 AM   #550
kira and light
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
She had used the same hex before against Malfoy in OotP, to escape the Inquisitorial squad in Umbridge's office.
Just looked up the scene, makes it even worse especially Ron praising how uber awesome her spell was.

How much praise does JK want to rain on Ginny for something so insignificant I would get it if she had done something important or extraordinary but not only is the spell fucking dumb and useless in a fighting situation ( just use a stunner) the only thing it has going for it, is that it's humiliating and there are probably still far better spells out there if your going for that.

Looking at these scenes just shows me what a poor job JK did with her it's not like there wasn't any room for potential, being possesed by Voldemort at 11 and being the only daughter in a household full of brothers could leave some room for good character development but as usual this really is not Rowlings stong suit.
kira and light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #551
vlad
Slug Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira and light View Post
Also seems canon, you can of course like and dislike whatever you want but Dumbledore, Snape, Harry, Ginny all have that twinkle, billowing robes (lol not that sure if that is fanon or canon anymore tbh) Expelliarmus or Bat- Bogey.
I should clarify. It's fine for Snape's robes to billow or Dumbledore's eyes to twinkle; it's fucking terrible for the narrative to say "Snape's trademark entrance of billowing robes" or "Dumbledore's patented smile" or "Ginny unleashed her signature hex..."

Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #552
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
I should clarify. It's fine for Snape's robes to billow or Dumbledore's eyes to twinkle; it's fucking terrible for the narrative to say "Snape's trademark entrance of billowing robes" or "Dumbledore's patented smile" or "Ginny unleashed her signature hex..."
But it is okay to say Gildroy's signature smile.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 5 thumbs up
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #553
Nazgus
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter North View Post
But it is okay to say Gildroy's patented smile.
Fixed that, because he's the sort of person who would and we all know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King
Nazgus is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #554
vlad
Slug Club Member

Given what we know about magic affecting abstract concepts: taboo on a word, curse on a position... you probably could patent a smile. Afterall, it took a lot of work to win Witch Weekly five times, can't just allow copycats with impunity!

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #555
Psychotic Cat
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgus View Post
Fixed that, because he's the sort of person who would and we all know it.
Don't be ridiculous, if you could patent facial expressions then obviously Lockhart would have advised Harry to do so for his lopsided grin when he was giving him advice on managing his fame.
Psychotic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #556
arkkitehti
Seventh Year

Makes you wonder if Harry could trademark his scar, or if the copyright belongs to Voldemort...
arkkitehti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #557
ScottPress
Minister for Magic
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
Voldemort has the Dark Mark, but he's a villain, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to hog Harry's forehead too.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is online now   Reply With Quote