Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Astaphta
First Year
 
Astaphta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The Continent
Posts: 21
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Lists of recommendations

There are a lot of threads covering variations on the theme of "best fics", even aside from the pairing-threads which often cover similar ground. What I haven't found (and I hope it's not lying around somewhere and I missed it) is a thread specifically about lists of recommendations, a sort of meta-best fics thread if you like.

Lists are nice to read, because if they're well-done you can glean from them not only, obviously, new stories to read, but also a sense of how other readers read, by seeing how they review and trying to understand what makes them tick. Ideally lists are rather long (twenty titles or more), justified (not just the FFN summary of the story in question) and readable.

I've noticed it's considered courteous when starting a thread to give examples of the object of the quest, so here are a few examples of what I mean:

-Taure's (here) and Newcomb's (here), which helped me out a lot when I was just embarking on FF.
-my own list
-this list, by someone called Tusing, and this one, by Seylliani, are interesting but less so because their commentaries are rather short

An example of thoroughly bad practice (or at least, not the practice I'm looking for) would be this.

Last edited by Astaphta; 05-20-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: change profile link object
Astaphta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 AM   #2
Download
Chief Warlock
 
Download's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,465
DLP Supporter Donor Star
It's called the library. Not sure how you missed it.
Download is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:24 AM   #3
CheddarTrek
Moderator
Set Phasers to Melt
 
CheddarTrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,950
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Have you checked out the C2 yet?
__________________
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
Astaphta
First Year
 
Astaphta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The Continent
Posts: 21
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Download View Post
It's called the library. Not sure how you missed it.
Maybe if you'd read my post. The point is not only to discover new fics, but mainly to see how other individual readers reflect on what they've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post
Have you checked out the C2 yet?
I have, at length, just as I've combed through the library; again though, the C2, great as it is, is not a thought-out and coherent list of favourites.
Astaphta is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 05-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
CheddarTrek
Moderator
Set Phasers to Melt
 
CheddarTrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mississippi
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,950
DLP Supporter Donor Star
Fair enough. I often see people complaining that they want to be able to look at someones 'Favorites' list and actually see favorites, but not many people truly use it that way. I know I don't.

Makes me want to come up with my own list, though I doubt I'll do it soon. I'd probably surprise myself with what ends up on it, because I'd probably feel obligated to include stories I've re-read several times even if I can't figure out why I like them. "Stages of Hope" is a good example of a story that is 3/5 at BEST and yet I've probably read the fucking thing half a dozen times over the years. WTF is up with that? I wouldn't ever want to put it on a Top10 list, but clearly it is doing something interesting to my head.

Thanks for the links. If I ever do a list I'll try to remember to poke you with it.
__________________
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
Seyllian
Seventh Year
 
Seyllian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: New Jersey
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaphta View Post
There are a lot of threads covering variations on the theme of "best fics", even aside from the pairing-threads which often cover similar ground. What I haven't found (and I hope it's not lying around somewhere and I missed it) is a thread specifically about lists of recommendations, a sort of meta-best fics thread if you like.

Lists are nice to read, because if they're well-done you can glean from them not only, obviously, new stories to read, but also a sense of how other readers read, by seeing how they review and trying to understand what makes them tick. Ideally lists are rather long (twenty titles or more), justified (not just the FFN summary of the story in question) and readable.

I've noticed it's considered courteous when starting a thread to give examples of the object of the quest, so here are a few examples of what I mean:

-Taure's (here) and Newcomb's (here), which helped me out a lot when I was just embarking on FF.
-my own list: https://www.fanfiction.net/~astaphta
-this list, by someone called Tusing, and this one, by someone called Seylliani, are interesting but less so because their commentaries are rather short

An example of thoroughly bad practice (or at least, not the practice I'm looking for) would be this.
I got called out.
__________________
Seyllian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
Astaphta
First Year
 
Astaphta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The Continent
Posts: 21
DLP Supporter Donor Star
@Seylliani: Sorry about that, I edited my OP to include a link to your profile. I hadn't found it on my first posting, though I'd seen your name around on DLP. Your list is great, but some of your justifications for inclusion are a little economical (cf. the first on your list).
Astaphta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign
 
ScottPress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Holy Moose Empire
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,498
High Score: 1,826
I have to agree with the OP. I like reading lists like these. Was thinking of expanding my own beyond the Top 10. I only ever checked out Long Journey Home because of Newcomb's recommendation. Cool thread, OP.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose in Discord
we gotta teach scott contouring
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
Seyllian
Seventh Year
 
Seyllian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: New Jersey
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaphta View Post
@Seylliani: Sorry about that, I edited my OP to include a link to your profile. I hadn't found it on my first posting, though I'd seen your name around on DLP. Your list is great, but some of your justifications for inclusion are a little economical (cf. the first on your list).
Yeah, it's hard sometimes to write a lot on some of the stories as it been a while. I will try to give a better analysis, or for some just simply give an analysis, though.
__________________
Seyllian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign
 
ScottPress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Holy Moose Empire
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,498
High Score: 1,826
@Astaphta your FFN profile link isn't working.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Rose in Discord
we gotta teach scott contouring
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
Astaphta
First Year
 
Astaphta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The Continent
Posts: 21
DLP Supporter Donor Star
@Scott Press: Thanks for that, rectified and should work. It seems FFN has different URLs for internal and external links.
Astaphta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorites, favourites, list, recommendations, recommended


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need recommendations for a new SSD. Innomine Tech Support 13 04-17-2015 01:50 AM
So... recommendations? phazer11 General Discussion 12 05-13-2011 09:07 AM
RPG Recommendations? Lokesin Gaming and PC Discussion 46 12-31-2010 11:17 AM
Stirring Up DLP Fantasy Football (on the block lists) Omagic Real Life Discussion 4 10-30-2007 03:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2016 DLP Group. All rights reserved.
No personal intellectual property on this site may be used without the credit and express permission of the respective authors.