Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 06-15-2017, 12:44 AM   #641
Seyllian
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaegar I View Post
I don't know which is worse in such Fics: when they literally copy and paste entire sections of the Books word for word, or when the story is just rewritten Canon with a few bonuses here or there. Because I've sadly seen both done.
At least with one, you will get decent quality, though it is plagiarism. The other is original but could be shit.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #642
Hush
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaegar I View Post
I don't know which is worse in such Fics: when they literally copy and paste entire sections of the Books word for word, or when the story is just rewritten Canon with a few bonuses here or there. Because I've sadly seen both done.
I think it's worse when they insert a character into the mix who wasn't there originally. But instead of changing the dynamics they just divvy up a bunch of dialogue from the other characters, usually their best one-liners, and give it to the inserted character. All while everything else stays the same. This really gets to me, like, deep in my balls. Mostly due to the laziness.

I can just imagine them typing this shit out and laughing to themselves at how clever and witty they're being.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #643
Rhaegar I
Unspeakable

I once read a seven-Fic series where Harry had a twin sister... and very little changed that wasn't either pointless, stupid, or both. And I mean really pointless and stupid: Viktor Krum had a twin brother, whose sole purpose was to go to the Yule Ball with her to make Fred, who likes her, jealous. Otherwise, it was basically Canon with some extra lines thrown in for good measure.

I somehow read the damn thing to the end of 6th Year, and it took the Twin still liking Snape despite Snape literally just killing Dumbledore for me to call it quits. And before anyone judges me, I had a Twins/WBWL Phase.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #644
Atram Noctem
High Inquisitor

Twins are my pet peeve in general. I have absolutely no idea why HP fanfiction is so full of them.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #645
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atram Noctem View Post
Twins are my pet peeve in general. I have absolutely no idea why HP fanfiction is so full of them.
Because if they're not twins then one or both would have to be adopted for Harry and his WBWL sibling to be in the same year at Hogwarts. And they have to be in the same year so Harry can stand on roughly equal footing with the sibling when he keeps making him look bad.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #646
Download
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
I like the concept, but it's rarely pulled off well. WBWL/James and Lily only loving one child is an easy way to tell it's going to be shit.
Download is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:44 AM   #647
Atram Noctem
High Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPress View Post
Because if they're not twins then one or both would have to be adopted for Harry and his WBWL sibling to be in the same year at Hogwarts. And they have to be in the same year so Harry can stand on roughly equal footing with the sibling when he keeps making him look bad.
...But why should Harry have a twin to compete with in the first place? what's the point?

It's not like it gives much in characterization. Even in relatively good twin Potters stories like HP and the Boy Who Lived the twin is usually just a one dimensional cardboard cutout - either canon Harry under a different name, or a shallower version of teenage James.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:47 AM   #648
Archer
Fourth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This kind of specific peeve and a rather pointless one honestly, since most of the fics it is in are never good to begin with but regardless: I really hate when in an AU/dimension travel fic where apparently the only difference is that "Voldemort didn't attack the Potters" and yet somehow Harry has a sister that's in Ginny's year. I'm pretty sure being born after November 1981 is past the cut off for that.

It's just a little detail but it's things like that that give me the impression the author just doesn't care about the world they're writing.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:08 AM   #649
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
Quote:
...But why should Harry have a twin to compete with in the first place? what's the point?

It's not like it gives much in characterization. Even in relatively good twin Potters stories like HP and the Boy Who Lived the twin is usually just a one dimensional cardboard cutout - either canon Harry under a different name, or a shallower version of teenage James.
Because sibling rivalry is a trope and most fanfic writers don't think beyond tropes.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #650
James
Groundskeeper

I'm really tired of what's written as dialogue, but in reality are these very melodramatic proclamations and/or thinly veiled rants from author - commonly found in works of authors like Jeconais and wannabe Jeconais.

Bonus points if it ends up in pusified!Harry whispering something deeply personal and crying, just to shift the POV to other person's thoughts, which are basically another rant about purity of pusified!Harry, for at least four more paragraphs of fluff, angst and melodrama.

This is the sort of authors that have men quaking in their boots when women shout their full names.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:11 PM   #651
Joe's Nemesis
Death Eater
High Score: 2,058

Mantel = a shelf above a fireplace.

Mantle = the shield surrounding a fireplace, blast furnace, or the earth's core to keep in the heat (or a sleeveless robe).

"Harry placed the photo album containing pictures of his parents on the fireplace mantle. Three hours later, his brand new home was reduced to ashes from the ensuing fire."

"Harry placed the photo album containing pictures of his parents on the fireplace mantel. Three hours later, he and the rest of his family were in bed safe asleep in his new house because he wasn't stupid enough to put anything on the mantle."

Last edited by Joe's Nemesis; 06-25-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Joe's Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #652
thejabber27
DA Member

The term "eventual {insert ship here}" in fic summaries. It irks me almost as much them listing multiple Harry tropes and that the fic contains bashing.
thejabber27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #653
James
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by from some stupid fic
“several occasions he almost slipped into the stock phrase that most men need to learn for these situations 'yes dear, whatever you think is right'.”
Fuck you as well, author.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #654
Joe's Nemesis
Death Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Fuck you as well, author.
You must not be married.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:02 AM   #655
James
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Nemesis View Post
You must not be married.
Why? Do you go on one knee, when proposing, saying "Here's my ring and here are my balls, my dear. Will you marry me?"
Old 06-26-2017, 06:49 AM   #656
Henry Persico
Groundskeeper

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Henry Persico
Nah, it's just common sense. You don't anger the partner you sleep in the same bed with. You save yourself a lot, and I really mean a lot, of problems.

Harry smiled, despite everything. "A wizard is never late, Tony, nor is he early."

Tony groaned. "I should never have let you borrow the Fellowship.".
Henry Persico is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #657
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

I doubt using something as dismissive as 'yes dear, whatever you think is right' will soothe her anger.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #658
Hush
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Persico View Post
Nah, it's just common sense. You don't anger the partner you sleep in the same bed with. You save yourself a lot, and I really mean a lot, of problems.
It's not just about your marital partner. It's about choosing your battles. What issues you care about enough to raise as an issue.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #659
Peter North
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuitTombee View Post
I doubt using something as dismissive as 'yes dear, whatever you think is right' will soothe her anger.
Depending on how that phrase is used could potentially lead to a case of sore "nuts". If the wife is so inclined.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #660
James
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Persico View Post
That's not very good relationship when any disagreement beyond "yes dear" leads to anger now, is it?

I mean it's quite telling, that someone talks about "picking battles" when talking about relationships, but in my experience, you don't get to point where disagreement might lead to anything beyond [heated] discussion—you'd probably break the relationship off sooner than that. I mean, many - if bad - authors write the relationships as constant domination battle, where Harry is usually the more submissive partner, and using many (bad) humour tropes as 'sleeping on sofa', girls yelling full names, 'yes dears' as a normal state of relationship.

It might be cultural, though.

Last edited by James; 06-26-2017 at 09:13 AM.
James is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up