Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > FanFiction Extras > FanFic Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 06-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #661
Hush
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
That's not very good relationship when any disagreement beyond "yes dear" leads to anger now, is it?

I mean it's quite telling, that someone talks about "picking battles" when talking about relationships, but in my experience, you don't get to point where disagreement might lead to anything beyond [heated] discussion—you'd probably break the relationship off sooner than that. I mean, many - if bad - authors write the relationships as constant domination battle, where Harry is usually the more submissive partner, and using many (bad) humour tropes as 'sleeping on sofa', girls yelling full names, 'yes dears' as a normal state of relationship.

It might be cultural, though.
Are you saying that you've never fundamentally disagreed with someone about something they're intensely passionate about? Yet, at the same time, not really cared about the issue. In cases such as this, sometimes it's best to not bother creating tension.

The example you gave is a lazy, overused relationship trope. But the purpose and meaning behind it isn't always complete garbage. Being deliberately antagonistic in any kind of relationship is just as unhealthy.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #662
The Pro
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
Are you saying that you've never fundamentally disagreed with someone about something they're intensely passionate about? Yet, at the same time, not really cared about the issue. In cases such as this, sometimes it's best to not bother creating tension.

The example you gave is a lazy, overused relationship trope. But the purpose and meaning behind it isn't always complete garbage. Being deliberately antagonistic in any kind of relationship is just as unhealthy.
My guess is that @James just has a problem with the semantics. The "picking battles" phrase isn't exactly the best choice of words. It just makes the relationship sound like an unhealthy warzone that isn't beneficial to either partner.
“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

The Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #663
James
Groundskeeper

Quote:

The example I gave is might be lazy, overused trope, but it's also what set off my Pet Peeve half-rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pro View Post
My guess is that @James just has a problem with the semantics. The "picking battles" phrase isn't exactly the best choice of words. It just makes the relationship sound like an unhealthy warzone that isn't beneficial to either partner.
And yes, that's a big part of it.

Last edited by James; 06-26-2017 at 10:08 AM.
James is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #664
Hush
Fifth Year

It's a pretty common turn of phrase, it's not meant to be taken literally... same ways as if I said I caught you red handed, it doesn't mean that I caught you with blood on your hands. I am genuinely surprised that the semantics of this came up.

Also by "The example you gave is a lazy, overused relationship trope." I meant that the author is being lazy, and meant to imply that it's a totally reasonable pet peeve to have. I don't think that came across well based on your response.

Edit: ... My bad

Last edited by Hush; 06-26-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #665
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

@Hush

Turn of phrase, just so no one here has to add it to their peeves.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #666
James
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Also by "The example you gave is a lazy, overused relationship trope." I meant that the author is being lazy, and meant to imply that it's a totally reasonable pet peeve to have. I don't think that came across well based on your response.
Ah, yeah, no, it didn't. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #667
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

One that I see every so often. A part and apart.

A part being one piece of something and apart being separated.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #668
Joe's Nemesis
Death Eater
High Score: 2,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Why? Do you go on one knee, when proposing, saying "Here's my ring and here are my balls, my dear. Will you marry me?"
No, but there is such a thing as submitting to one another in love. It isn't something only the female is supposed to do.

Last edited by Joe's Nemesis; 06-26-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Joe's Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:57 PM   #669
SchneierN
Squib

I always find a story less enjoyable if all of it's content is plot. The reason I love HP is the interaction between characters in a casual sense and utilizing the cool world we find ourselves playing in.
SchneierN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #670
Warlocke
Prisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejabber27 View Post
The term "eventual {insert ship here}" in fic summaries. It irks me almost as much them listing multiple Harry tropes and that the fic contains bashing.
I think impatient readers are as much to blame for this as the authors who write it.

Authors include it so the readers can be assured what they want to see will happen eventually, even if it doesn't manifest in the first few chapters, because many of them are too impatient to wait for it to actually develop organically.
Author: This story is HP/FD.

Reader: Where's my Harry/Fleur relationship? It's been a whole two chapters.

Author: But... Harry's name only just came out of the goblet. He doesn't even like her right now, and she sees him as a spotlight-stealing little boy; they certainly aren't feeling any affection for each other yet. Give it time, the H/FD will happen ev-

Reader: Your a lair! You said this was H/Fluer but it's not!

Author: I think you mean, "You're a liar" and "H/Fleur." Look, a believable relationship doesn't happen overnight, and I'm not writing any soul bond jiggery pokery, so you'll just have to have a little patience.

Reader: STFU! Lier.

Author: ... ... Looks like it's time to claim "'Real Life' is hitting me hard, right now." and abandon this account. Maybe I'll make an account at AO3... if they even allow stories that aren't about Credence Barebone being non-consensually sodomized.

Impatient little shits are used to seeing pants drop or fortunes inherited or mysterious powers gained or whatever by the end of the first chapter. When they don't see it, the begging and bitching starts. Really, it's up to the reader to show a little patience, and the author to ignore the impatient ones. In lieu of such fortitude, you get the "eventual" note.

For many people, fast and shallow trumps slow and meaningful every time, especially in a medium where (to be fair to some impatient readers) many of the creators bail out on their creation before it's complete. Many have been trained that if it doesn't happen fast, it won't happen at all.

"Let me tell you a little something about love, Dennis. It has a voracious appetite. It eats everything- Friendship. Family. It kills me how much it eats. But I'll tell you something else. You feed it right, and it can be a beautiful thing, and that's what we have." - Arnie Cunningham, Christine

STEAM

Last edited by Warlocke; 06-26-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Warlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:01 AM   #671
thejabber27
DA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlocke View Post
I think impatient readers are as much to blame for this as the authors who write it.

Authors include it so the readers can be assured what they want to see will happen eventually, even if it doesn't manifest in the first few chapters, because many of them are too impatient to wait for it to actually develop organically.
Author: This story is HP/FD.

Reader: Where's my Harry/Fleur relationship? It's been a whole two chapters.

Author: But... Harry's name only just came out of the goblet. He doesn't even like her right now, and she sees him as a spotlight-stealing little boy; they certainly aren't feeling any affection for each other yet. Give it time, the H/FD will happen ev-

Reader: Your a lair! You said this was H/Fluer but it's not!

Author: I think you mean, "You're a liar" and "H/Fleur." Look, a believable relationship doesn't happen overnight, and I'm not writing any soul bond jiggery pokery, so you'll just have to have a little patience.

Reader: STFU! Lier.

Author: ... ... Looks like it's time to claim "'Real Life' is hitting me hard, right now." and abandon this account. Maybe I'll make an account at AO3... if they even allow stories that aren't about Credence Barebone being non-consensually sodomized.

Impatient little shits are used to seeing pants drop or fortunes inherited or mysterious powers gained or whatever by the end of the first chapter. When they don't see it, the begging and bitching starts. Really, it's up to the reader to show a little patience, and the author to ignore the impatient ones. In lieu of such fortitude, you get the "eventual" note.

For many people, fast and shallow trumps slow and meaningful every time, especially in a medium where (to be fair to some impatient readers) many of the creators bail out on their creation before it's complete. Many have been trained that if it doesn't happen fast, it won't happen at all.
I completely understand this point of view. That being said, I haven't read a fic that has "eventual ship" that's been all that good.
thejabber27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #672
Touzb
Squib

One thing I really don't like is what I'd dub an "euphoric tone" - when the protagonist side is portrayed as smarter/better/more knowledgeable etc. than everyone else and this is treated seriously by the author. For Love of Magic is especially bad with this chapter 23 onwards. I stopped reading not long after.
Touzb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #673
Hush
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touzb View Post
For Love of Magic is especially bad with this chapter 23 onwards. I stopped reading not long after.
I remember that one being terrible wish fulfilment from the start. I'll trust that you've got a higher tolerance for guilty pleasures that was exceeded around chapter 23. I think I noped out around chapter two or three.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:28 AM   #674
Touzb
Squib

Quote:
I remember that one being terrible wish fulfilment from the start. I'll trust that you've got a higher tolerance for guilty pleasures that was exceeded around chapter 23. I think I noped out around chapter two or three.
True, it always was a guilty pleasure. But after Harry

legally became an adult and melted Lucius Malfoy with a fireball
in chapter 23 the whole thing got way too self-congratulatory (other way to describe what I dub the "euphoric tone").

Also, it seems in a recent chapter

Sirius got killed in some random quickly-be-done-with-it fashion.
That's another thing I dislike in fanfiction, pointless plot elements that get quickly cleared away by the author in an unsatisfying fashion.

Harry's treatment of Sirius, even before chapter 23, was also a part of the fic's self-congratulatory characterization of Harry, cause Sirius was treated like a stupid child by him.
Touzb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #675
Joe's Nemesis
Death Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejabber27 View Post
I completely understand this point of view. That being said, I haven't read a fic that has "eventual ship" that's been all that good.
Give this a read and tell me what you think. (Or, wait a few days and I'll have all the chapters re-edited for the stupid little typos and other things that somehow have made their way into the story).

Last edited by Joe's Nemesis; 06-28-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Joe's Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #676
Odran
Heir

Having taken a look at Wind Shear lately that's been posted for review, I now add "Rom" to a list of shortened names that I detest. That's "Rom" for Andromeda. I don't think that's even the worst shortening he (Ted Tonks) uses in the story.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #677
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

How about Andy? I don't find that diminutive annoying but some might.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #678
Joe's Nemesis
Death Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuitTombee View Post
How about Andy? I don't find that diminutive annoying but some might.
Andy makes sense. But, something like Rom is like making Topher a diminutive of Christopher. It just sounds like the person is trying too hard. First time I heard that name in real life, I just rolled my eyes.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #679
Andrela
Dark!Andrela
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlocke View Post
Isn't it therefore the best solution to simply tell them to go fuck themselves if they can't wait?

Authors aren't slaves to the readers, obviously.

I see the similar happening to my friend on DeviantArt when people act entitled and demand she draw things specifically for them for free and are outraged when she refuses.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #680
thejabber27
DA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Nemesis View Post
Give this a read and tell me what you think. (Or, wait a few days and I'll have all the chapters re-edited for the stupid little typos and other things that somehow have made their way into the story).
I'm not entirely sure I explained my peeve properly. I like eventual ship, my peeve is having the term Eventual followed by whatever ship it is in the summary.
thejabber27 is online now   Reply With Quote