Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Real Life Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 06-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #4061
Andrela
Dark!Andrela
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
TOMD: Just had a pointless argument on facebook with someone about Harry Potter, more specifically: Hermione being (supposedly) black.

It always amazes me how people who have no idea what they're talking about will pretend they have all the answers.

I simply pointed out that while Rowling has stated on her Twitter that Hermione's skin color wasn't specified in the books, this contradicts the books where it IS specified that her skin is white.

Cue in a shitstorm calling me a racist with zero knowledge of Harry Potter.

I shouldn't have even debated with these people. If there's anything the internet has taught me so far is that it's just not worth trying.

This is also the reason I put all HP-related threads on AlternateHistory.com on ignore, because I automatically assume they're gonna be shit.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #4062
Wildfeather
Seventh Year

High Score: 2,011
Send a message via AIM to Wildfeather Send a message via MSN to Wildfeather Send a message via Yahoo to Wildfeather Send a message via Skype™ to Wildfeather
Just curious (because I haven't read the series in a long time) where is it specified (specifically and explicitly) that Hermione is white in the books?

I'll admit I don't buy the argument that Hermione was secretly black this whole time, but wouldn't it be rather foolish for the author to come out and say 'hey I never said what color her skin is! She could totally be black! " when it turns out they did.

Wildfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #4063
Mordecai
Groundskeeper
Drunken Scotsman

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,485
Is it also not worth asking "Why does it matter in the slightest the colour of her skin?"?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #4064
Andrela
Dark!Andrela
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfeather View Post
Just curious (because I haven't read the series in a long time) where is it specified (specifically and explicitly) that Hermione is white in the books?

I'll admit I don't buy the argument that Hermione was secretly black this whole time, but wouldn't it be rather foolish for the author to come out and say 'hey I never said what color her skin is! She could totally be black! " when it turns out they did.

See this post:

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/sh...5&postcount=84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
Is it also not worth asking "Why does it matter in the slightest the colour of her skin?"?
It doesn't matter. She can be black or white. What matters is unnecessary retconning.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #4065
Eilyfe
Order Member

I've watched the first season of Hero Academy; All Might is now my new role model. Appreciate the new avatar, it's Plus Ultra lookin' at you.
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many, they are few."

Eilyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 06-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #4066
CareOtters
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
A troll friend of mine once said that the biggest evidence that Hermione wasn't white is in her parents: both medical professionals working in the UK.

The Yellow Death - a RWBY fanfiction
CareOtters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:49 AM   #4067
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
TOMD: Just got back from my first night shift. Amazing how 8 hours can change one's perspective on a lot of things. Physical labor is a torture method honed to perfection. I need to be losing weight faster. When you're stacking 10kg boxes, hauling your own fat around doesn't help.

Three months of this might just kill me.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^

Last edited by ScottPress; 06-30-2017 at 05:49 AM.
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:09 AM   #4068
Andrela
Dark!Andrela
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPress View Post
TOMD: Just got back from my first night shift. Amazing how 8 hours can change one's perspective on a lot of things. Physical labor is a torture method honed to perfection. I need to be losing weight faster. When you're stacking 10kg boxes, hauling your own fat around doesn't help.

*Laughs in Physical Worker*

Welcome to the jungle.

I've been working rotating shifts for the last 3-4 years. What hours did you work? 10 to 6?
Old 06-30-2017, 06:21 AM   #4069
BsuperB
Headmaster

Quote:

Guy I know lost nearly 2 stone inside 3 months at our place, probably helped that it was the height of summer when he started.

It gets easier though. Till Christmas, at any rate.

TOMD: Used car hunting is a painful experience but, I think I'm finally closing in on what I want - and I'm finally having my first day off since February. Thank fuck.
BsuperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #4070
Mordecai
Groundskeeper
Drunken Scotsman

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareOtters View Post
A troll friend of mine once said that the biggest evidence that Hermione wasn't white is in her parents: both medical professionals working in the UK.
Fully half the dentists I've ever seen have been ethnic minorities and/or immigrants. Not sure your suggestion really holds any water.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 06-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #4071
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
@Andrela, third shift is 11pm-7am. Two more this week, 2nd shift next week. Weekly schedules.

@BsuperB, if it helps me lose a bit of weight, I can do it through summer, but fuck me if I'm staying in this job after that. Fortunately there's a separate contract for each month, so halfway through September I'll just tell them not to send the next one. Not like they're investing a lot of resources into teaching me to stack pallets.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #4072
Andrela
Dark!Andrela
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
@ScottPress

Got it, I work 10pm-6am, 2pm-10am, 6am-2pm.

Ah, the life of the Damned. Nothing like it.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #4073
FriedIce
Seventh Year

Quote:

The first week is always the hardest, after that you'll start to find your pace.

Have a big breakfast every day (weetabix are good) and eat during every break. Even though you want to lose weight you should probably increase the amount of carbs in your diet - you'll lose weight even with it and it'll make it a lot easier to get through the day.

Drink a shitload of water, especially since it's summer. You won't realise the amount you're sweating until you go home and your piss is brown.

Make sure you get a really good night/day sleep for the first 2-4 weeks. You don't need to be on top form mentally for labouring but it helps get you through the first couple of weeks.

Befriend your coworkers, they've been doing this a lot longer than you and they probably aren't working as hard as you. Not because they're lazy but because they know the tricks of the job and are more efficient.

You probably have already realised all of this, but I figured writing it down couldn't hurt. At least this way something useful has come out my time labouring.

Source: 5 years of physical labour on a building site during university and college holidays
FriedIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #4074
Joe's Nemesis
Death Eater
High Score: 2,058

I feel like I've finally become a true DLP author.

Today, I find my story has been plagiarized, right along side @Perspicacity and a few others here.

Last edited by Joe's Nemesis; 07-01-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Joe's Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #4075
The Pro
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Nemesis View Post

Today, I find my story has been plagiarized, right along side @Perspicacity and a few others here.
Link doesn't work. Here's a working one.

I'll never understand why people do this though. Why would you take someone else's work and present it as your own? Does it make the plagiarist feel accomplished by receiving praise for something that isn't their own? Don't these people know that it'll inevitably be exposed?

And the worst part is that the plagiarist doesn't even have the decency to disguise the plagiarism. Everything has been copied verbatim, down to the titles and summaries.

EDIT: I checked the first chapter of Dagger and Rose. It even says "By Perspicacity". Holy shit but this person has gotta be a troll. No way someone's this stupid naturally.
“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

Last edited by The Pro; 07-01-2017 at 12:48 PM.
The Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #4076
Nazgus
Order Member

Landlady's grown son unplugged the mini-fridge with all my food in it. Apparently he didn't know there was food in it. Guess he thought it was plugged in for funsies?

Thankfully nothing spoiled, but I'm still pretty irked about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King
Nazgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #4077
Joe's Nemesis
Death Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Nemesis View Post

So, I went back to the page and read through some of the reviews. Then, I laughed my ass off after reading Pers's review of his story.

Quote:
Perspicacity chapter 1 . Jun 30
A nicely written story with a compelling premise.

Hope you keep up the good work!

Last edited by Joe's Nemesis; 07-01-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Joe's Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 PM   #4078
Joe
Professor
The Reminiscent Exile

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 1,800
TOMD: Applied for a writing fellowship at the National Library of Australia. Decided to stop swaying between my day job and the writing, and just go full throttle at both.

Here's to the inevitable burnout!

Becoming a writer is a polite way of saying you've chosen alcoholism as a career.

- Joe Ducks

Follow me on Twitter

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:21 AM   #4079
Giovanni
The Fifth House
God of Scotch

TOMD: Drunk at a karaoke bar. Just got done singing a duet of Aqua's Barbie Girl.... as Barbie.

Quote:
Xiph0 What then?

Xiph0 Everyone needs projects.

Giovanni No long term projects except the goal of acquiring more property so that I can die.
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:50 AM   #4080
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pro View Post
I'll never understand why people do this though. Why would you take someone else's work and present it as your own? Does it make the plagiarist feel accomplished by receiving praise for something that isn't their own? Don't these people know that it'll inevitably be exposed?
You're under the false impression that there's a horde of people trying to plagiarise. Nope. Aside from one or two outliers, it's all done by one guy.

Here's your reason: DLP made his bum hurt, so in return he spends his life dedicated to poor attempts at trolling. It's not even worth getting mad about, really, since it's just a bit sad - just report and move on.

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote