Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Real Life Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 06-24-2017, 02:01 AM   #1401
Download
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Does anyone know a reasonably reputable writing guide that shits on people using quotation mark replacements? You know, like people using that stupid symbol for parseltounge and such.

---------- Post automerged at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

Got someone I'm in an argument with who didn't like me saying his use of < > as a quotation mark replacement was amateurish.
Download is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #1402
Invictus
Heir

Ask him how many professionals used that shit or if any successful book had it. And then drown him in HP, Dresden, LotR and similar pics using your way.
Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #1403
Oment
Chief Warlock
The Betrayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Download View Post
Does anyone know a reasonably reputable writing guide that shits on people using quotation mark replacements? You know, like people using that stupid symbol for parseltounge and such.

---------- Post automerged at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

Got someone I'm in an argument with who didn't like me saying his use of < > as a quotation mark replacement was amateurish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
Ask him how many professionals used that shit or if any successful book had it. And then drown him in HP, Dresden, LotR and similar pics using your way.
It's possible that the guy is using guillemets, aka « » and their single versions. These are used - though not strictly in the same way - in a fair few languages. Not saying he's using it, or even if it's the right way of using it (punctuation marks of any kind being different everywhere), but it's a possibility.

I'm aware that the smart money is on the guy being an idiot, but there might be a reason for the idiocy.

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #1404
Download
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oment View Post
It's possible that the guy is using guillemets, aka « » and their single versions. These are used - though not strictly in the same way - in a fair few languages. Not saying he's using it, or even if it's the right way of using it (punctuation marks of any kind being different everywhere), but it's a possibility.

I'm aware that the smart money is on the guy being an idiot, but there might be a reason for the idiocy.
He's not.

No, he's arguing that because they (apparently) are used in comic books it's acceptable to use them in a story to denote another language. I haven't read a comic book in years so I have no clue if that's true.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #1405
Oment
Chief Warlock
The Betrayer

Quote:
He's not.

No, he's arguing that because they (apparently) are used in comic books it's acceptable to use them in a story to denote another language. I haven't read a comic book in years so I have no clue if that's true.
Like I said, smart money is on idiocy. Still, it was an option.

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #1406
Download
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oment View Post
Like I said, smart money is on idiocy. Still, it was an option.
Yeah, I've given up. Doesn't help it's on a typical circle-jerk forum where no-one does any constructive criticism.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 PM   #1407
Zerg_Lurker
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by BsuperB View Post
So I'm off to New York in early July for a week or so and was wondering if you folks had any suggestions on things to do, places to eat etc.

I'm staying in the Theatre District, about a 5 - 10 minute walk from both Central Park & Times Square with a 'budget' of $70 or so a day.
Joe Junior on 16th and 3rd for a really good burger, worth going out of your way for. Otafuku/Medetai in St Marks for takoyaki and other Japanese street food, though the whole street is lined with Japanese and Korean spots, take your pick. If you take the 7 train to the end of the line in Flushing, there's also a ton of good places to eat, shop and just wander around.

I'd say walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is overrated touristy shit, but it's a novel experience. If you do, bring water and comfortable shoes.
Free Shakespeare productions in Central Park if you're into theatre. The Rubin Museum showcases Himalayan art and it's free on Saturdays.

Staten Island isn't terrible, it feels more like a cleaner, nicer New Jersey than New York. Tons of good pizza and Italian food. The free ferry there is a decent tourist trap, just don't go during rush hour.

Public transit's your best bet for getting around, though you might not see as many sights if you take the subway.

$32 for a 7 day unlimited, worth it if you take the bus/train more than twice a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Break DLP and Carry On
Zerg_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:57 PM   #1408
BsuperB
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
First, never take a cab to JFK. You'll spend more time if you take the train, but if you take the AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica/Queens and then switch to a Manhattan-bound E train, you can get off next to Times Square, ~50 minutes for $7.75. Savings of $52. Consult Google maps for precisely the nearest subway station to your hotel.

Pay a visit to the Natural History Museum and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. They're on opposite sides of the Park circa 80th St. What other things are you interested in seeing? I can give better recommendations that way.

Tipping is about 15% normally, 20% for good service, higher for great, maybe 5% or nothing for shitty service.
Huh, interesting. My main problem with the public transport aspect is I'm landing around 8pm local on a Sunday and I don't think I'll be out of the airport till 10pm at the earliest due to border security, customs, getting my bags etc. Also not helped by that Sunday happens to be the one right before July 4th. I imagine public transport won't be running anywhere near as much, if at all on that particular day.

Might be an idea to try on the way back though as I'm flying out at 11pm local... Only just starting to hit me how long a day that's going to be, not quite as bad as my first Stateside trip but, getting there.

As for what to see, well, anything really. The Museums are a good shout so thanks for those, I've only really got a day or 2 left to find something to do besides eat and take in the atmosphere.

Also just realised I'll be going in blind as I'm not paying £5 per MB of data, so gonna have to hug any wifi I can find in the meantime.

Edit: Quick bit of goggle-fu tells me it's operating 24 hours which is promising, provided I can stay awake / there's a train running to West 50th St at that time of night. For the sake of $50 I'm certainly hoping so, nice shout Revan.

Last edited by BsuperB; 06-29-2017 at 09:07 PM.
BsuperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #1409
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Huh, interesting. My main problem with the public transport aspect is I'm landing around 8pm local on a Sunday and I don't think I'll be out of the airport till 10pm at the earliest due to border security, customs, getting my bags etc. Also not helped by that Sunday happens to be the one right before July 4th. I imagine public transport won't be running anywhere near as much, if at all on that particular day.

Might be an idea to try on the way back though as I'm flying out at 11pm local... Only just starting to hit me how long a day that's going to be, not quite as bad as my first Stateside trip but, getting there.

As for what to see, well, anything really. The Museums are a good shout so thanks for those, I've only really got a day or 2 left to find something to do besides eat and take in the atmosphere.

Also just realised I'll be going in blind as I'm not paying £5 per MB of data, so gonna have to hug any wifi I can find in the meantime.

Edit: Quick bit of goggle-fu tells me it's operating 24 hours which is promising, provided I can stay awake / there's a train running to West 50th St at that time of night. For the sake of $50 I'm certainly hoping so, nice shout Revan.
Yea, the subway operates 24/7. The trains are about once every 20 minutes after 10 pm and they run local, rather than express, but they'll get you there just fine. The W 50th St station is underneath 8th Ave.

(Regarding the subway and buses, if you plan on making more than 11 uses, get a 1 week unlimited pass for $31. That's your to and from the airport plus 9 uses (subway or bus). You'll still need to load on $5 each in cash value for the AirTrain.)

As for WiFi, there's public WiFi kiosks around the city provided by the city government.

If you're going to be there on July 4th, go see the fireworks! They're on the East River this year, around East Midtown.

Other things to do include the Intrepid Air And Space Museum (W 43rd & 12th), and the Circle Line, an all-around-manhattan boat tour that leaves from the pier one block south of it. You can also take a ferry from Battery Park on the southern tip of Manhattan out to Liberty and Ellis Islands. The ticket includes the ferry, a grounds pass to the islands, and admittance to the museum on Ellis Island.

For food, go to Little Italy (Ferrara Bakery on Grand St is the best Italian bakery in the United States). The best pizza in the city in my opinion is actually not there, though, it's at Arturo's on Houston St just south of Washington Square (also visit that, the arch is cool). Lombardi's in Little Italy is good too, though, and they're open super late (but they only take cash). For an authentic old school deli sandwich, you can visit the touristy places, but I'd hit up Parisi, it's across the street from Lombardi's (also cash only).

Other recommendations upon request, just tell me what you're looking for.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:37 AM   #1410
CareOtters
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Need some plant advice:

Gonna get some green up in this shit. Mostly indoor windowsills, a few other small shelves, etc, where I can get some plants growing.

Any recommendations for good indoor plants and how to stop them from dying? Hoping to avoid the cliche of immortal catci and get something with pretty leafy flowers if possible.

The Yellow Death - a RWBY fanfiction
CareOtters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:13 AM   #1411
Lesath
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareOtters View Post

Any recommendations for good indoor plants and how to stop them from dying? Hoping to avoid the cliche of immortal catci and get something with pretty leafy flowers if possible.
Orchids. You can forget to water them for weeks and they will live. I recommend to not water them more often than every 3 days, they don't like that. And it's all there is to say about them.
Lesath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:27 AM   #1412
BsuperB
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
Snip.
Great, thanks for the info - I'll see if I can convince my travelling companion to jump for the train method for the sake of saving money.

We've got a few things booked already, such as the Ellis island tour that you suggested, the 9/11 museum & an evening performance of Avenue Q.

Plan for the 4th is to find the fireworks and generally avoid mentioning the fact we're Brits, certainly stay away from any harbours. That & just have fun, bake a little in the sun and see what happens.

We'll probably spend some time in Central Park, not sure what we'll do but hey, it's huge and there's plenty to be found. Window shopping to do as well, and some souvenir hunting so that'll probably kill of a morning/afternoon.

Main issue will be getting home I think, checkout at 11am and flight at 11pm so likely 6 hours or so to kill in the city with our luggage. Maybe just find a bar and have a chat.

Going back to the subway - so after Jamaica Street we're looking for anything on the Eastern Line and our stop would be 8th Avenue... Got it.
BsuperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #1413
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Going back to the subway - so after Jamaica Street we're looking for anything on the Eastern Line and our stop would be 8th Avenue... Got it.
From JFK, get the 'Jamaica' Airtrain (there are two, you don't want the other one). From there, follow the crowd out of the hall. Machines to buy Metro Cards will be on your right. You want to load them with a week unlimited, then 10 dollars cash (once you complete the first transaction, put the card back in to make the second). Exit the turnstiles and bear left, out the doors to the concourse above the Long Island Railroad platforms. Ignore them, go all the way to the end and take the elevator down to the bottom, that's the subway station. Your card is pre-loaded, so just swipe in and go down to the platform for a World Trade Center-bound E train. Your stop will be West 50th St.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith

Last edited by Darth_Revan; 06-30-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #1414
The Pro
Seventh Year

So I have a very important question. I intend to become a neurosurgeon in the near (for neurosurgery at least) future, but experts in my country are a rare breed. So I need some advice.

What are your experiences like? Are there any concerns? Warnings? How difficult is it?

Anything at all would be really helpful.
“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

The Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #1415
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pro View Post
So I have a very important question. I intend to become a neurosurgeon in the near (for neurosurgery at least) future, but experts in my country are a rare breed. So I need some advice.

What are your experiences like? Are there any concerns? Warnings? How difficult is it?

Anything at all would be really helpful.
How difficult is being a neurosurgeon?

Dude, you'd... need to ask a neurosurgeon. Or at least a medical doctor, preferably one with experience in surgery. And I don't think we have one of those specifically.

But you're going to need to go to medical school. Your profile says you're 16. Taken any Chemistry and Biology yet? Were you good at it?

And if there aren't many experts in your country does that mean you're going to have to go out of country for training?

But in short... becoming a brain surgeon is considered so difficult that it's the punchline of a common fucking joke. "Come on man, it's not brain surgery!" Joke also commonly stated with "rocket science" in place of brain surgery, but still.

Go for it. Even if it doesn't work out you can still go for something else in the medical field.

Edit: Also, you aren't going to make it in the 'near' future. In the US at least you're looking at what, fifteen more years of school or so? Finish High School, get a Bachelor's Degree, finish Medical School, do a Residency, then you can get certified?
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

Last edited by CheddarTrek; 07-01-2017 at 08:49 PM.
CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #1416
The Pro
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post
How difficult is being a neurosurgeon?

Dude, you'd... need to ask a neurosurgeon. Or at least a medical doctor, preferably one with experience in surgery. And I don't think we have one of those specifically.
Well, that's a real bummer. I have asked around but I've gotten the same generic response you gave. Was hoping DLP had resident neurosurgeons but, ah well.

Quote:
Taken any Chemistry and Biology yet? Were you good at it?
I was (or am) rather prolific at both subjects, though Chemistry more so. I recently sat final exams for high school students too, so I'm just waiting on results at the moment.

Quote:
And if there aren't many experts in your country does that mean you're going to have to go out of country for training?
Unfortunately, yes. It's gonna be a real pain in the ass getting my crap together to migrate. Though I do have family overseas, so it ought to work out.

Quote:
Go for it. Even if it doesn't work out you can still go for something else in the medical field.
Oh, I intend to. All the way.

Quote:
Edit: Also, you aren't going to make it in the 'near' future. In the US at least you're looking at what, fifteen more years of school or so? Finish High School, get a Bachelor's Degree, finish Medical School, do a Residency, then you can get certified?
Yeah, I meant near future for neurosurgery. You're right about it being more or less a decade or more, but I intend to shorten that time if I can.
“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

The Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 AM   #1417
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

If you want to pick the brains of people knowledgeable in a specific field, I've always found that Quora is a pretty powerful tool.

Just ignore all the idiots asking "why don't atheists believe global warming is a hoax?"
Old 07-02-2017, 04:29 AM   #1418
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaumologist View Post
High pitched OWWWWW! and keep screaming until it lets go. At which point you leave, and return quickly to give it a non-squeaky toy (don't do it straight away, or the pup will start to associate biting you with getting a toy).

A plastic 500ml bottle with kibble in works wonders, and keeps them entertained for a while, or an old dishtowel knotted around kibble too.
The first part is a pretty effective technique for training cats, too. Walk away from them if it's a play bite and they'll come to realise that biting is the fastest way to end fun.

Quote:

I had a trawl through too and couldn't find anything. A few things that recommended replacing your punctuation with arbritrary shit for fanfiction writers, god forbid, but nothing warning people about how dumb it looks.

It is amateurish, and pretty tacky at that. Maybe just ask them if they'd ever see it in a book, or whether it's really necessary. So much of the time it's a lazy excuse to not convey the context of dialogue without whomping the reader in the face with it.

I imagine there's a nice @Warlocke rant about it somewhere if anyone can find it, but maybe this sort of thing calls for a DLP guide to fanfiction?

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:40 AM   #1419
Download
Chief Warlock

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindrome View Post
I had a trawl through too and couldn't find anything. A few things that recommended replacing your punctuation with arbritrary shit for fanfiction writers, god forbid, but nothing warning people about how dumb it looks.

It is amateurish, and pretty tacky at that. Maybe just ask them if they'd ever see it in a book, or whether it's really necessary. So much of the time it's a lazy excuse to not convey the context of dialogue without whomping the reader in the face with it.

I imagine there's a nice @Warlocke rant about it somewhere if anyone can find it, but maybe this sort of thing calls for a DLP guide to fanfiction?
A writing and style guide would be a good idea. Sounds like a lengthy task however.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #1420
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
With respect to brain surgery, I would point out three things:

1. Don't do it just because you enjoy chemistry and biology on an academic level now. Not only can preferences with these kinds of things change rapidly (especially as the subjects increase significantly in difficulty and mathematical content), but also remember that being a neurosurgeon is primarily a practical rather than academic career. If your interest is primarily in the academic side on how the brain works, aim to be a neuroscientist rather than surgeon.

2. Understand that the biggest barrier to becoming a neurosurgeon is going to be years upon years (literally decades) of sustained dedication, not intelligence.

3. Understand that there's no direct route to becoming a neurosurgeon. It takes many years even after you've already qualified as a doctor to qualify into that kind of advanced specialism. Only go this route if you're genuinely prepared to sacrifice basically your entire social life as well as large amounts of sleep and comfort (and potentially your own health) performing types of medicine you're not really interested in just to tick the boxes and get experience.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote