Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 07-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #161
thisperson
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to thisperson
I read this thread and would just like to chime in supporting Spankz' app idea. I know there is an app that works for the forum and it's a general forum browsing app.

I think what he means, is that when someone searches for Harry Potter in the app stores (google, apple, amazon, microsoft, etc), it will pop up and those who align with our interests may join.

It's not too bad an idea. Set out a small lure for new members.

When you search for Harry Potter or Dark Lord Potter (in the app stores), Tapatalk doesn't give any free referrals, but a dedicated app would.
thisperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #162
Seratin
Minister for Magic
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
There is an app already on Google Play. I think it's just called DLP or something similar and it works okay cool, I just found myself using the actual forums once I scaled up my screen.

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest
Seratin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #163
Xiph0
Administrator
First Tovarisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seratin View Post
There is an app already on Google Play. I think it's just called DLP or something similar and it works okay cool, I just found myself using the actual forums once I scaled up my screen.
It's been broken for a minute.
Xiph0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #164
Zombie
Third Year
The Man Who Cried Coyote

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisperson View Post
I read this thread and would just like to chime in supporting Spankz' app idea. I know there is an app that works for the forum and it's a general forum browsing app.

I think what he means, is that when someone searches for Harry Potter in the app stores (google, apple, amazon, microsoft, etc), it will pop up and those who align with our interests may join.

It's not too bad an idea. Set out a small lure for new members.

When you search for Harry Potter or Dark Lord Potter (in the app stores), Tapatalk doesn't give any free referrals, but a dedicated app would.
I honestly hate tappatalk. There will not be any need once xenforo is implemented because of how well it scales
Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 PM   #165
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Maintaining apps in addition to the forums themselves isn't sustainable. Xenforo will help a lot -- we're getting closer.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #166
BTT
Unspeakable

I sometimes browse the Neglected Stories list, when I remember it exists. That's its first problem, in that it's really not very visible. I don't think all that many users know it exists, honestly. Seems like a shame, because it's a fairly neat functionality.

Second problem is that it's unclear just how the criteria are weighed. Is the date at which the story's added very important or isn't it? I don't know. How important is the amount of ratings the story's gotten? I don't know either. Priority rankings are given and used to sort with but it's unclear how those are actually decided. What's the max, the min? I see there's a 5.25 priority story on the list, but what does that actually mean?

Final and biggest problem is that I feel like only stories in For Review should really be on the list. I'm under the impression that once a story's in the Library it'll remain there. Maybe site mechanics allow for the possibility of downgrading to Almost Recommended, but I don't recall ever seeing it happening. So there seems to be little reason to go through the effort of reviewing and rating these old stories.

I don't know if the move to Xenforo will fix these problems or even have this functionality remain, but these are my 2 cents.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #167
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT View Post
I sometimes browse the Neglected Stories list, when I remember it exists. That's its first problem, in that it's really not very visible. I don't think all that many users know it exists, honestly. Seems like a shame, because it's a fairly neat functionality.

Second problem is that it's unclear just how the criteria are weighed. Is the date at which the story's added very important or isn't it? I don't know. How important is the amount of ratings the story's gotten? I don't know either. Priority rankings are given and used to sort with but it's unclear how those are actually decided. What's the max, the min? I see there's a 5.25 priority story on the list, but what does that actually mean?

Final and biggest problem is that I feel like only stories in For Review should really be on the list. I'm under the impression that once a story's in the Library it'll remain there. Maybe site mechanics allow for the possibility of downgrading to Almost Recommended, but I don't recall ever seeing it happening. So there seems to be little reason to go through the effort of reviewing and rating these old stories.

I don't know if the move to Xenforo will fix these problems or even have this functionality remain, but these are my 2 cents.
It's a very crude measure, but basically it's looking that every story has at least a few posts on it. Driveby ratings are less important than someone actually typing out what they mean and why they did or did not like the story.

Priority could honestly be hidden. It's measuring how few posts and ratings a story has -- so if a story has few ratings it's not likely to be very accurate of a rating.

I weighted posts higher if I recall, but I'd have to look at the code. It's probably due for a refresh anyways -- it'll have to be refreshed during the move to Xenforo.