Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Real Life Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 07-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #4101
silentclock
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
TOMYesterday: I closed on my first house. It's a red brick Cape Cod built in the 40s. It needs a bit of painting--I don't like any of the colors--but otherwise, I love the place. The move begins soon. I've got my apartment through the end of the month.
silentclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:09 AM   #4102
why?
Squib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfege View Post
Even with lots of volume, angle variation, and big lifts, it should be beyond most people to gain weight so quickly. I assume by good weight you mean muscle/minimal fat.
They could be severely underweight. Before I started lifting, I was about that weight at 6'4. I looked and felt better, so I didn't complain.

However, I'm a tiny bit stronger and a lot leaner now at 155 lbs, compared to when I shot up to 175 lbs a few years ago. Slowly gaining works best for me too. I was driving myself insane over eating and squatting three times a week. Had my shorts rip at the gym twice. I was beginning to look like flippin' Donald Duck.

And to OP, regarding diet:

I tend to stick to fattier foods. Chicken thighs instead of breast, sardines and not tuna. Avocados. Cheeses. Whole eggs. Full fat Greek yogurt. Heavy cream or creme fraiche when making some pasta sauces. Cook most things with coconut oil or ghee.

One of my favourite snacks is a can of sardines and a mashed avocado with some chilies, onions, lime and garlic. Sardines on guac I suppose?

Bags of frozen veggies make life hella easier as well. Kale, broccoli, cauliflower etc. Throw in some eggs and cured pork of choice, and you got yourself a nice fried rice in 10 minutes.

Learning to cook made the whole experience a lot more enjoyable too. Cooking and doing dishes can be oddly soothing, especially when you do it on your own terms.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:26 AM   #4103
Oment
Chief Warlock
The Betrayer

TOMD: posts on the previous page reminded me that I hadn't checked my limited index funds in a couple of months. Turned out they went up about 3.6 % in that time. Not quite as much of a return, but since they're fire-and-forget anyway... I'll take it.

TOMNight: fucking thunderstorms woke me up three times. I love the spectacle, but not at 4:30am, tyvm.

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #4104
Nazgus
Order Member

TOMD: Getting a little tired of fireworks until 1am. The fourth has come and gone, please get back to your lives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King
Nazgus is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 07-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #4105
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgus View Post
TOMD: Getting a little tired of fireworks until 1am. The fourth has come and gone, please get back to your lives...
Where I used to live in Leicester, for the entire month surrounding Guy Fawkes' night there'd be unceasing fireworks. I quite liked it though!

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #4106
Nazgus
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindrome View Post
Where I used to live in Leicester, for the entire month surrounding Guy Fawkes' night there'd be unceasing fireworks. I quite liked it though!
If it was at reasonable hours I'd be okay with it. I wouldn't love it, but I'd just turn up the music and move on. Problem is that they go on until 1am, setting off the neighborhood dogs with each one, and I have to be up at 6am.

It gets old fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
"Be my friend, motherfucker!" Naruto howled, slamming the rasengan into Gaara's face.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

-Stephen King
Nazgus is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #4107
RabidAsparagus
Squib

Finished 2nd year with a solid 2:1, up 9% from last year. I hope I can pull my grade up the remaining 3% for a first before I finish.
RabidAsparagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #4108
Invictus
Heir

Got an internship at the legal department of one of the world's top oil and gas service providers. Really really hoping gas becomes the next big thing if I get hired. Let's see how this adventure goes.
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #4109
Rehio
Denarii Host

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
Got an internship at the legal department of one of the world's top oil and gas service providers. Really really hoping gas becomes the next big thing if I get hired. Let's see how this adventure goes.
Bad time for Volvo to announce that whole "Moving to only produce electric cars in 2019" thing. D:
Old 07-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #4110
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehio View Post
Bad time for Volvo to announce that whole "Moving to only produce electric cars in 2019" thing. D:
Or France banning the sale of fossil fuel motors by 2040.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #4111
Innomine
Auror

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,500
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
I think he means gas as in LPG, such as peaking plants or the stuff you cook with.
Innomine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #4112
Invictus
Heir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innomine View Post
I think he means gas as in LPG, such as peaking plants or the stuff you cook with.
Oil is pretty much dying. I didn't expect a career there specifically Massive cuts were done already and I expect further leanings if more localised. Gas for energy for places that can't rely on solar is what I expect will be the future for these companies.

Anyone entering this industry thinking oil at more than 40-45 the barrel is insane.
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #4113
Solfege
Professor

Alternately it's the gas and oil giants best placed to transition our societies to renewables, assuming the state doesn't cut them off at the knees before those technologies can be brought to mass market. Deep war chests and all.
Solfege is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #4114
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Oz
Carb loading for a cycle tomorrow and really struggling. Never thought eating carbs would feel this much like work. x_x

<chatter> prophet muhammad peace be upon him was sent to destroy the musical instruments
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #4115
Psychotic Cat
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Carb loading for a cycle tomorrow and really struggling. Never thought eating carbs would feel this much like work. x_x
Maybe some motivational music will help?
Psychotic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 5 thumbs up
Old 07-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #4116
Andrela
Dark!Andrela
Plot Bunny

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Got a raise at work.

From 11.20 PLN per hour to 14 PLN.

Kewl, I guess.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #4117
Solfege
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Have you practiced on your long cycling sessions? Glycogen storage capacity doesn't magically shoot up from 1500 kcal to 2000 kcal, you know.
Solfege is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #4118
Imariel
Order Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
TOMD: Stuck in a youtube spiral of Jacob Rees-Mogg. His voice and articulation somehow manages to be condescending, lyrical and charming at the same time.
Imariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #4119
Arthellion
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthellion View Post
TOMD: Got the guts to share feelings to a girl I've liked. Night ended with a short cuddle on a park bench and a walk back to the hotel our study Abroad group is staying at.

Hopefully this progresses further than just a vacation fling. We shall see.

Thank you England.
So...update.

TOMD: We have been on several dates and gotten to know each other outside of being in a foreign country. We both agreed we wanted to make sure we worked well outside of the context of hormone fueled vacation.

As of tonight, I am Officially in a relationship with this woman. Had dinner with my family. We went for an evening walk. I asked her.

She said yes.
Arthellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #4120
Eilyfe
Death Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilyfe View Post
In other news, I had an interview today for a job as a tutor for basics in the structural analysis of poems. I think I managed the ten minutes where they tested my competency reasonably well, and I had a blast small talking with them for another fifteen minutes afterwards. No guarantee of course, but it made me feel good that we were all laughing and smiling for more than half of the interview.
Got the job. Come next semester I'll teach the mysteries of poetry analysis to wide-eyed (or sleepy-eyed) firsties.

Also got back from Hamburg just now. The concert I wanted to attend didn't happen because of G20 and all that.
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many, they are few."

Eilyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up