Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Multimedia > The Humor Mill
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 07-12-2017, 05:05 AM   #581
Innomine
Auror

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,500
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilyfe View Post
Source for that statement please.
Err, the professor of a linguistics class I took, who's speciality was people learning second languages.

Google, however, says this:

Quote:
As we’ve seen, then, English is pretty challenging. But it’s not the only contender for the World’s Most Difficult Language. Other notoriously tricky languages include Finnish, Russian, Japanese and Mandarin. Mandarin’s tone system, for instance, is famously tricky (but when you look at the ‘Emphasis’ section above, you’ll see that English can be just as bad!). Finnish is held to be difficult because of its numerous cases; Arabic because, among other things, its script has four different variations for each letter depending on where in the word it sits. Written Japanese differs from spoken Japanese, and there are three different writing systems – including 2,000 to 3,000 kanji characters that must be learned by heart. It makes English sound easy in comparison!

Ultimately, though, it’s down to the individual whether or not a particular language is difficult to learn. Some people have a natural aptitude for languages and pick them up quickly; children, of course, absorb new languages much more easily than adults. The difficulty of a language also depends on its similarity to your own language. You’ll probably find it easier to pick up French if you’re Italian, because these languages use many of the same roots, and the same alphabet. If you’re used to the Roman alphabet then you may struggle to learn oriental languages that rely on symbols, such as Japanese. English isn’t so bad once you get used to it, and it’s probably only commonly talked about as being hard because so many people are trying to learn it. If you want to take your English to the next level, join us at Oxford Royale Academy for a summer of turbocharging your English skills.
Source

So ultimately it's context dependent like most things are. Read the source for a more comprehensive overview of why English is considered extremely difficult.
Innomine is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #582
Oment
Chief Warlock
The Betrayer

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #583
Zenzao
Death Eater
500 Club King

High Score: 1,864
EDIT: In hindsight, the original post wasn't very funny. Try this.
EDIT2: What was I thinking? Take three.

Last edited by Zenzao; 07-12-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Zenzao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #584
awinarock
The Chosen One

awinarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #585
Inert
Auror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cxjenious View Post
It's clear that my Naruto knowledge is on a hundred thousand trillion, and yall's is just barely over 9,000.

End Debate.
My Naruto WIPs:
Hurricane Suite - DLP - Patriot's Dawn - DLP - The Uzumaki's Peace - DLP

Inert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #586
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
Congrats @syed on making Dad of the Year!
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #587
Zenzao
Death Eater
500 Club King

Old 07-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #588
Tasoli
Headmaster

D
isney Land Paris
Tasoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #589
awinarock
The Chosen One

Old 07-13-2017, 10:52 PM   #590
Zenzao
Death Eater
500 Club King

EDIT: I have a feeling I may have seen the above in the last thread, so...

Last edited by Zenzao; 07-13-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Zenzao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:35 PM   #591
EsperJones
Order Member

Um, just 11 cows? That seems a bit on the low side.
EsperJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:52 AM   #592
DarthBill
Dark Lord

And who eats that much sheep? Where do they get their data?

Badges: Electric Grass Normal
DarthBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:52 AM   #593
Churchey
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsperJones View Post
Um, just 11 cows? That seems a bit on the low side.
If they are measuring by the weight of meat consumed rather than the number of animals slaughtered to provide that weight of meat, I could see it being possible.

Take a bull cow (2400lbs) and your average serving of beef being 8 oz (steaks larger, burgers smaller) and we are talking 4800 servings of beef per cow.

If you had servings of beef 3x a week, you could conceivably meet that meat quota in 30 years.

Considering I think that 3x a week may be a little low for some, depending on their location (Texas is all about the beef y'all), 2400lbs per cow is probably way larger than your average cow, and 30 years isn't a lifetime for most, yea that seems off.

I guess when you take into account developing countries or even non-American countries, the average would skew that way more. I think it says more about the varied diets of different areas than anything to me.

But y'all...meat is delicious.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #594
Heather_Sinclair
Headmistress

Aaaand just to stay on the current topic.

~Warlocke

Heather_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #595
Oruma
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzao View Post
You have convinced me. I shouldn't eat animals.

I should eat vegans instead.

7000 of them.

Is Vegan outreach a provider of Vegans?
Old 07-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #596
Oment
Chief Warlock
The Betrayer

~R.I.P. Oz's dick, 1990-2016.~
Oment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #597
awinarock
The Chosen One

Old 07-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #598
Ashan
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchey View Post
If they are measuring by the weight of meat consumed rather than the number of animals slaughtered to provide that weight of meat, I could see it being possible.

Take a bull cow (2400lbs) and your average serving of beef being 8 oz (steaks larger, burgers smaller) and we are talking 4800 servings of beef per cow.

If you had servings of beef 3x a week, you could conceivably meet that meat quota in 30 years.

Considering I think that 3x a week may be a little low for some, depending on their location (Texas is all about the beef y'all), 2400lbs per cow is probably way larger than your average cow, and 30 years isn't a lifetime for most, yea that seems off.

I guess when you take into account developing countries or even non-American countries, the average would skew that way more. I think it says more about the varied diets of different areas than anything to me.

The average meat eating person... (I originally typed eat meating person, jeez) Yeah, definitely much lower. Annually, China (in 2010) consumed only 9 pounds of beef per capita, compared to the US' 85 pounds (industry statistics). Indians on average consume about 1.5 pounds a year per capita.

If you average China and India, you get 2.6 billion people, that on average consume less than 5 pounds of beef a year, aka less than 400 pounds of beef per lifetime... that's a figure that heavily skews down the US average of around 6500 pounds a lifetime, especially given that the US only has a population of 320 million or so.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #599
Churchey
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashan View Post
The average meat eating person... (I originally typed eat meating person, jeez) Yeah, definitely much lower. Annually, China (in 2010) consumed only 9 pounds of beef per capita, compared to the US' 85 pounds (industry statistics). Indians on average consume about 1.5 pounds a year per capita.

If you average China and India, you get 2.6 billion people, that on average consume less than 5 pounds of beef a year, aka less than 400 pounds of beef per lifetime... that's a figure that heavily skews down the US average of around 6500 pounds a lifetime, especially given that the US only has a population of 320 million or so.
Good god those poor people...
Old 07-15-2017, 04:35 AM   #600
MonkeyEpoxy
Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchey View Post

"Probably way larger than the average cow"

Bruh. The average meat yielding cow will barely be pushing 1,200 pounds lol. And from that the usable carcass is like 700. And the meat is another fraction of that. I mean. Twice the average steer is "way larger" so you're technically correct, but.

Sir.

Lrn2Meat