Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 07-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
Plutus
Squib

Magical Evolution

How were magical animals created? How was the first Phoenix born? Who thought erumpets were a good idea? What kind of environment were nundus raised in to let them spit Bubonic plague? Were they just mutated from normal animals by the magic of the world or was there a more... active hand in their creation.

What if the magical beasts of the world were created by wizards whether on purpose or by accident? Transfiguration is known to be able to create sentient creatures. Quintapeds are an example given that they were said to be a transfigured wizarding family and wizards considered it credible enough to attempt to untransfigure them. Basilisks are another example, while it's not clear if transfiguration is part of the process to create them the fact is Herpo the Foul was said to be the first wizard to hatch one this could be taken as meaning wizards have to be involved in the process of making them.

Thoughts? Objections?
Plutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Well, in the beginning, there was the word. And the word was with magic. And magic was the word.

... something like that?

It beats shoehorning evolution and dinosaurs into HP, anyway.
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Plutus
Squib

I was thinking more along the lines of the Ford Anglia actually. It was created by wizards with a variety of powers and eventually gained sentience along the way. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of magical animals started out like that.

Or if a wizard got bored one day and thought 'Hmm what happens if I do this' and that's where you get your chimaeras and manticores from. The original Pegasus could have actually been made by a wizard for Bellerophon. Sphinxes could have their roots in a woman who was cursed to be a half-lion riddle giver.

The main problem I'm having is dementors. Were they actually created by a single person or were they made by the collective negative emotions of society coalescing into a form universally feared across the world? Or they might just be a British thing.

Last edited by Plutus; 07-17-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
The Pro
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutus View Post
The main problem I'm having is dementors. Were they actually created by a single person or were they made by the collective negative emotions of society coalescing into a form universally feared across the world? Or they might just be a British thing.
This is an excerpt from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban:
Quote:
‘Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope and happiness out of the air around them. Even Muggles feel their presence, though they can’t see them. Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory, will be sucked out of you. If it can, the Dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself – soulless and evil. You’ll be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life.’
This doesn't prove much by itself. However, according to J.K. Rowling:
Quote:
You cannot destroy Dementors, though you can limit their numbers if you eradicate the conditions in which they multiply, ie, despair and degradation.
So there you have it. It fits nicely with your assertion that Dementors coalesce in locations where there is an abundance of negative emotions—specifically despair. Extrapolating that line of reasoning, it'd make perfect sense for Dementors to exist in localities beside Britain. They certainly don't have a monopoly on the conditions needed for Dementors to come into existence.
The Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:43 AM   #5
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
If you explain magical creatures with reference to wizards, that just kicks the ball down the line to where wizards came from.

The answer is presumably the same as in real life: either it happened on its own, or God did it.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
Erotic Adventures of S
The Chosen One

Rather than magical evolution i think it more likely a normal animal became magical somehow.

Nothing. It will never come. Death before defeat. You can kill me, destroy my soul, destroy my magic, but you cannot defeat me. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. And you may destroy my magic, but not before I destroy everything of this world that I can…including your magic and soul. There is no defeat.
Erotic Adventures of S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
Plutus
Squib

Like with the magical gene? I know they're considered a bit of a joke, but besides having the world's natural magic or God himself make magical creatures I don't think there are many other explanations. Wizards and magical creatures could share the same genes that make them magically inclined and they could come from the same source that way.

At the very least I think it would be hilarious to explain to Malfoy that he's magically related to a flobberworm.

Last edited by Plutus; 07-18-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Red
Groundskeeper

Nundus call regular leopards filthy mudbloods.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #9
Glimmervoid
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Nundus call regular leopards filthy mudbloods.
I've sometimes wondered if there are squib versions of magical animals. Maybe every so often, a dragon hatches from its egg a stunted mundane lizard. Or, indeed, a Nundus is born as a normal leopard.
Glimmervoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Plutus
Squib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmervoid View Post
I've sometimes wondered if there are squib versions of magical animals. Maybe every so often, a dragon hatches from its egg a stunted mundane lizard. Or, indeed, a Nundus is born as a normal leopard.
Well if the creature in question gained their magic the same way wizards did then yeah squib animals are completely possible. If they were made with transfiguration though I don't think it could happen.

Tags
transfiguration, worldbuilding