Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Bookclub
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 10-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 13,152
Week 1: Philosopher's Stone, Ch. 1 - 9

<< Week 0 | Book Rereads | Week 2 >>

Well, it's Halloween and that means time to get this reread started.

Use this thread to discuss Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone chapters 1-9.

HPATTGH: 1/35 Complete

Last edited by Palindrome; 12-10-2016 at 04:30 AM.
Taure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:12 AM   #2
Jeram
Chief Warlock
Elder of Zion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Here's something I noted: A reference to the fact that it is a story. This is on page one, and I can't think of another time the book is self-aware.

Something interesting about these particular set of chapters is that it's the cutoff before Hermione is integrated into their group, and she's still a pain. I also noted that the first Transfiguration class involved a great deal of notes before doing anything practical. I do think that these opening chapters are quite accessible even now, and it's kind of a relief to read it after scores of copycat fanfics aping the style and sometimes quoting wholecloth segments.

He was no longer Neville, the shy Gryffindor. Now he was the great Ovinomancer, Neville the Sheep Lord. - Food for Thought

Profile: PC.net | FF.net | FW

Jeram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeram View Post
I do think that these opening chapters are quite accessible even now, and it's kind of a relief to read it after scores of copycat fanfics aping the style and sometimes quoting wholecloth segments.
This is a thing. I haven't yet read it wholesale, beyond looking up segments in those chapter for the better part of a year for my story, but it's shocking how many people don't reach the quality of the original despite basically quoting it verbatim.

Also, one of my favourite parts, in a read-this-and-don't-argue-nonsense way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 7
The Dursleys had never exactly starved Harry, but he'd never been allowed to eat as much as he liked.
Harry's life at the Dursleys for Dummies. Glad we cleared that up
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Though of course that quote only applies to their treatment of Harry up to that point. I think there's a significant escalation post-PS with the whole cat-flap deal.

Last edited by Taure; 10-31-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
Blinker
Fifth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
One thing that slightly surprised me was Harry snarking at Hermione during the whole escapade with the midnight duel. I'd had it in my head that he'd always been neutral towards her (at least outside of his thoughts) and that it was only ever Ron who'd said anything aggressive.
Blinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #6
BTT
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 4
“Harry. Nasty, common name, if you ask me.”
Considering the Dursleys you'd think they'd approve of him having such a common name. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 6
“We’ve had precious little to celebrate for eleven years.”
First war took eleven years. Didn't know that by heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 7
“Would you care for a lemon drop?”
Dumbledore's only recently been introduced to lemon drops, it seems. Little detail which still invalidates a lot of fanfics about Hogwarts before Harry, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 7
but how in the name of heaven did Harry survive?
More evidence wizards are Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 8
I’ve been watching them all day. You couldn’t find two people who are less like us. And they’ve got this son — I saw him kicking his mother all the way up the street, screaming for sweets.
Honestly that's not a very good basis for saying Harry can't live with them, McGonagall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 12
The only thing Harry liked about his own appearance was a very thin scar on his forehead that was shaped like a bolt of lightning.
Harry likes his scar.

In the sequence with the snake at the zoo, it's interesting to note it doesn't actually vocalize in response to Harry. It never tells us Harry's hissing or have anyone remark on his doing so, either, so this means Harry spoke to a snake without the signature hissing of Parseltongue and it understood him.

It's been said before, but maybe when Hagrid said he "flew" to the cottage he might have meant "floo". We don't see a broom or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 56
Any problems with the Dursleys, send me a letter with yer owl, she’ll know where to find me… .
So Harry could've just sent Hagrid a letter asking how to get into Platform 9&3/4. Hm.

Huh, Seamus takes a whole minute to sort. Wonder which other house the Hat considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 86
Perhaps Harry had eaten a bit too much, because he had a very strange dream. He was wearing Professor Quirrell’s turban, which kept talking to him, telling him he must transfer to Slytherin at once, because it was his destiny. Harry told the turban he didn’t want to be in Slytherin; it got heavier and heavier; he tried to pull it off but it tightened painfully—and there was Malfoy, laughing at him as he struggled with it—then Malfoy turned into the hook nosed teacher, Snape, whose laugh became high and cold—there was a burst of green light and Harry woke, sweating and shaking.
Might just be a bad dream, but that first bit sounds strangely like what I'd expect to have been the horcrux' influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 96
“Never thought you’d like fat little crybabies, Parvati.”
So it seems those two knew each other from somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 102
Ron had spent all evening giving him advice such as “If he tries to curse you, you’d better dodge it, because I can’t remember how to block them.”
Turns out there's something to dodging in duels after all.
BTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Considering the Dursleys you'd think they'd approve of him having such a common name. Weird.
I believe the use of "common" here is not in the sense of commonly used, but in a sense associated with classism. Which in turn is ironic given Prince Harry.

Quote:
First war took eleven years. Didn't know that by heart.
Or at least, the really bad part of the war was the last 11 years.

Quote:
It's been said before, but maybe when Hagrid said he "flew" to the cottage he might have meant "floo". We don't see a broom or anything.
You still have the problem of how he got to that rock out at sea from the nearest connected fireplace, which was presumably on the mainland. I'm not sure that floo is the answer there. I think this is one of the few times where you really do have to just accept that it's an salvageable plot hole: when Rowling wrote it, she intended for wizards to be able to fly unaided, and later changed her mind.

It's a nice catch with the Pansy and Parvati knowing each other pre-Hogwarts.

Also, I'm not sure how much advice we should be taking from 11-year-old Ron on best duelling practice.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
Sesc
Slytherin at Heart

@BTT, what Taure said.

common - 7. (derogatory) considered by the speaker to be low-class, vulgar, or coarse: a common accent.

That's the meaning here. Though I'm not sure how widely it is used today -- you can find it e.g. in Blyton's books, where the protagonists are firmly upper middle class, and society is (still) strictly divided (a working class made up by servants etc.). They take place in the first half of the 20th century.

So even leaving aside Prince Harry, I think the meaning to take from that line is a clear dig at the Dursley's ridiculousness.

@Taure: True -- but the point is of course everyone who's writing starved-and-abused!Harry coming to Hogwarts, and thinks he writes Canon
She shuddered, even as we were descending, but when we dismounted, there was no sadness, no grief. Her ice blue eyes burned in boundless fury, a look so piercing it went clean through me. It was simultaneously the most beautiful and most terrifying thing I had ever seen on her face.

“Someone is going to pay.”

Kairos

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey,
Is that true?
Sesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:23 PM   #9
chaosattractor
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT View Post
Dumbledore's only recently been introduced to lemon drops
Sherbet lemons. It's a weird little pet peeve of mine.

Quote:
On the other hand, Rowling is not Tolkien.

Quote:
so this means Harry spoke to a snake without the signature hissing of Parseltongue and it understood him.
Actually - wait, is it cheating to use material from ahead? It's a re-read, after all, and arguably we should be looking at the text through the lens of hindsight - actually Harry (and thus the narrative) does not associate hissing with Parseltongue until he's made aware that he hisses when he talks to snakes. He "doesn't" hiss when he talks to Malfoy's summoned snake in CoS either.
chaosattractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #10
BTT
Unspeakable

@Taure, @Sesc: Yeah, I agree about the meaning of the word common. I suppose my mental image of the Dursleys wasn't quite classist enough.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure how much advice we should be taking from 11-year-old Ron on best duelling practice.
Sure. It just jumped out at me, considering this is an in-universe explanation of the ever-so-popular duels and what they entail. Not very reliable, though, I'll admit. (Sorry, Ron.)

@chaosattractor: My bad, the ebooks I've been reading have been procured and as such I've been reading Sorcerer's Stone instead of Philosopher's Stone. I'd honestly forgotten the two had different candies. Fanfic's made me more used to lemon drops, anyway.

Rowling is not Tolkien nor CS Lewis, sure, but pagan parts are popular in fanfiction, and evidence to the contrary interests me. That's what I'm looking for in this reread, honestly: little tidbits that challenge preconceptions I had or ideas I've gotten through fanfiction that aren't actually canon, or that call into question popular clichés and tropes.

And I'd forgotten that Harry seemingly didn't hiss before being told he does. Thanks for setting me straight. Again, hissing seems such a noteworthy part of Parseltongue that it not showing up was noteworthy for me too.
BTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:18 PM   #11
chaosattractor
Groundskeeper

Oh, when I said she's not Tolkien I meant she isn't a philologist; I may be underestimating her as a writer but I'm quite sure she didn't slave over her choice of words there.

But yes, I do believe there's more explicit linking of wizards to Christianity later on.
chaosattractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #12
theronin
Order Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taure View Post
That's debatable actually. I think there is enough evidence to suggest that competition dueling existed in some form or another*, so it's not unreasonable to extrapolate from there that Ron had at some point watched one, and got his ideas from there. If there's one thing young boys tend to pay attention to and remember, it's sports of all kinds.

*there are many references throughout the books to "formal dueling". It could have been some archaic practice like a sword duel would be to us, but it just as easily could have been a sport (or both, the way fencing grew out of sword duels).
theronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:44 PM   #13
Palindrome
Magma Moderator

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via Skype™ to Palindrome
Quote:

Quote:
but how in the name of heaven did Harry survive?
No; just British. England is about a fifty-fifty split between religious and atheist, but nearly everyone raised here - including people from religions other than Christianity, from what I've seen - use these kinds of phrase.

Referencing heaven ("what in heaven?"), hell ("bloody hell!"), angels ("she's like an angel"), damnation ("dammit") or god ("oh my god!"), etc., are just part of the local nomenclature: they're not things you think about in religious terms but rather everyday phrases to most people, and since JK's wizards are also very British I don't think you should read a religious subtext to this passage either.

YOU MUST BUILD IN BLUE

"Stop strapping everything that moves to the altar table already!"
STEAM PROFILE
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #14
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Thoughts on chapters 1-5 first up.

Chapter 1

One of the first things that hits me are the hints at the size of the world: there are wizards everywhere in London, and Dumbledore said he passed multiple parties on his way to Privet Drive. This implies a rather higher density of wizards than previously considered. But of course the numbers across the series have been known to be inconsistent for a long time.

Dumbledore wears high heels.

Quote:
He found what he was looking for in his inside pocket. It seemed to be a silver cigarette lighter. He flicked it open, held it up in the air, and clicked it. The nearest street lamp went out with a little pop. He clicked it again -- the next lamp flickered into darkness. Twelve times he clicked the Put-Outer, until the only lights left on the whole street were two tiny pinpricks in the distance, which were the eyes of the cat watching him.
Moment of writing admiration: the way Rowling gives the object a descriptive name that we immediately understand without her having to explain it, which then allows her to refer to the object with having to call it "the device" etc.

As always, I'm struck by the fact that McGonagall has black hair in the series, which is probably the single biggest piece of proof that wizards not only live longer but also age slower than Muggles (as opposed to getting old at the same time as Muggles and then just staying alive as an old person a lot longer).

I note McGonagall’s scepticism of Hagrid bringing Harry - something to keep in mind as a characterisation point when trying to distinguish her voice from Dumbledore’s. She's more overtly cynical. The same applies to her telling Hagrid to hush about the Potters' deaths.

Quote:
"Young Sirius Black lent it to me. I've got him, sir."

"No problems, were there?"
I've always admired that Sirius is mentioned here in a nice piece of foreshadowing, but this was the first time I noticed the "No problems?" follow-up from Dumbledore. He seems to be already thinking of Sirius as the traitor here.

Chapter 2

Quote:
Harry didn't look it, but he was very fast.

Perhaps it had something to do with living in a dark cupboard, but Harry had always been small and skinny for his age.
Nice way to segue into Harry's physical description - linking it in with his ability to run away from Dudley.

Quote:
Harry, who could see a huge Dudley tantrum coming on, began wolfing down his bacon as fast as possible in case Dudley turned the table over.
More evidence on top of Sesc's point about Harry not being starved. So many fanfics have the Dursleys give Harry a different, inferior set of food. But in the books he eats the same as the rest of them.

Chapter 3

Quote:
By the time he was allowed out of his cupboard again, the summer holidays had started and Dudley had already broken his new video camera
This sentence, combined with the way Harry's cupboard is referred to in chapter 2, has brought me to a new revelation: when Harry is sent to his cupboard for days on end, he is not literally stuck in there continuously for days. He is still let out of the cupboard to go to school and presumably for meals, etc. It's just that he's "grounded" i.e. his leisure time has to be spent in the cupboard.

Quote:
Dudley was sniffling in the back seat; his father had hit him round the head for holding them up while he tried to pack his television, VCR, and computer in his sports bag.
Amusing that Vernon hit Dudley, which he has never done to Harry.

Quote:
Mr. H. Potter, Room 17, Railview Hotel, Cokeworth
Cokeworth is where Snape lives. Nice little titbit: Vernon took them to the area where Petunia grew up as part of his effort to evade the letters.

Quote:
Uncle Vernon's rations turned out to be a bag of chips each and four bananas.
Again, more evidence of Harry getting the same food as the Dursleys.

Chapter 4

Quote:
The giant sat back down on the sofa, which sagged under his weight, and began taking all sorts of things out of the pockets of his coat: a copper kettle, a squashy package of sausages, a poker, a teapot, several chipped mugs, and a bottle of some amber liquid that he took a swig from before starting to make tea.
Quote:
and from yet another pocket inside his overcoat he pulled an owl -- a real, live, rather ruffled-looking owl
I love Hagrid's coat. Those two sentences still stir a childlike glee in me, even after all these years.

Quote:
Anyway, this -- this wizard, about twenty years ago now, started lookin' fer followers
Further elaboration on the timeline. It wasn't just 1970 that the bad part of the war began, as I suggested earlier in the thread. It was also 1970 that Voldemort even started looking for followers beyond his pre-existing group from Hogwarts.

Quote:
No one ever lived after he decided ter kill 'em, no one except you, an' he'd killed some o' the best witches an' wizards of the age -- the McKinnons, the Bones, the Prewetts
A bit of canon evidence to support the idea I proposed in The One He Feared: that there used to be not such a great gap in magical ability between regular wizards and Voldemort/Dumbledore, it's just that Voldemort went around killing all the most powerful wizards. Not enough evidence to say it's true, but it definitely makes it a bit more likely. The theory continues that the second war was much shorter than the first because this demographic group was far from replenished in the 13 years between wars 1 and 2. Which means the Ministry was particularly vulnerable as it was lacking a cadre of powerful wizards that in normal times it could rely on.

Quote:
"I'm -- er -- not supposed ter do magic, strictly speakin'. I was allowed ter do a bit ter follow yeh an' get yer letters to yeh an' stuff
Bit of a hint at tracking magic.

Chapter 5

Quote:
It was a tiny, grubby-looking pub. If Hagrid hadn't pointed it out, Harry wouldn't have noticed it was there
I've pointed this out before, but it's worth noting as part of this reread: the charm on the Leaky Cauldron that prevents people from noticing it is not a Muggle repelling charm, because it also affected Harry.

Quote:
"If anyone but a Gringotts goblin tried that, they'd be sucked through the door and trapped in there," said Griphook.

"How often do you check to see if anyone's inside?" Harry asked.

"About once every ten years," said Griphook with a rather nasty grin
It strikes me that if you were to get stuck in any vault for 10 years, finding out that the vault you were in contained the Philosopher's Stone and thus the elixir of life would be something of a godsend.

Quote:
"I really don't think they should let the other sort in, do you? They're just not the same, they've never been brought up to know our ways.
A bit of canon grounding for the common fanon idea that pure-blood prejudice towards Muggleborns is justified among pure-bloods, at least in part, by a cultural and not just racial difference.

Quote:
"An' anyway, yeh couldn' work any of them curses yet, yeh'll need a lot more study before yeh get ter that level."
Nice bit of canon support for my theory that understanding theory enables casting of spells.

Quote:
For some reason, the back of his neck prickled. The very dust and silence in here seemed to tingle with some secret magic.
It occurred to me when I read this that Dumbledore's ability to sense magic in HBP is not unique to him. Harry senses magic here, and also he feels the power of Dumbledore's spell in OotP. Sensing magic, it seems, is something all wizards can do. It's just normally it will occur only around very magical places/events. Dumbledore's sense is much more attuned to finer detail. But it's not a unique ability.

Last edited by Taure; 10-31-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
mort
Groundskeeper

Hermoine really was an exceptional pain in the ass wasn't she? You'd find her annoying at best, but from the view of an eleven year old she must have been insufferable. No wonder she had trouble making friends. Harry's sense of humor was pretty nice and snarky though.

Also Petunia and Dudley are noted to be blonde in the books. If memory serves, they weren't so in the movies.

Last edited by mort; 10-31-2016 at 08:18 PM.
mort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:18 PM   #16
Peter North
Dark Lord

Quote:
Have you ever listened to an interview with Rowling? She uses the word Christ almost every other word. I'd say it's not Christian it's just how Rowling normally speaks and I think it's also a British colloquialism to say heaven, Christ, Jesus ect.

Chapter 7

Harry's scar hurts him for the first time. Is it really from Voldemort or is Snape legillimizing Harry when he catches his eyes for the first time?
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:19 PM   #17
mort
Groundskeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter North View Post
Chapter 7

Harry's scar hurts him for the first time. Is it really from Voldemort or is Snape legillimizing Harry when he catches Harry' eyes?
It didn't hurt when he met Quirrel in the Leaky Cauldron so something's definitely fishy there...
Old 10-31-2016, 08:22 PM   #18
Peter North
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
It didn't hurt when he met Quirrel in the Leaky Cauldron so something's definitely fishy there...
In the final chapter Quirrell eludes to the fact that Voldemort wasn't possessing him until after the break in at Gringotts which was after Harry met Quirrell.

Harry's description of Snape's eyes in chapter 8 also seems to allude to Snape looking deeper at Harry than is strictly normal as well.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad

Last edited by Peter North; 10-31-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Peter North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #19
Taure
Death Eater
Magical Cores Are Real

DLP Supporter Donor Star
When he said it was evidence that wizards were Christian I think he meant culturally Christian as opposed to religiously so. I.e. they don't have pagan traditions but Christian ones. Which we know from the celebration of Christmas, but so many fanfics go the pagan route anyway.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:27 PM   #20
Jeram
Chief Warlock
Elder of Zion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I bought the UK version shipped from amazon.co.uk to make sure I had the right one, but on comparison to the original sorcerer's stone I have and the newer rerelease picture book, I realized that the rerelease is the UK version except with sorcerer's stone.

For example, "cine-camera" vs "video camera" and so on. And yet the picture book has pretty interesting pictures of people. Harry looks like an adorable kid, Ron is gangly and weird looking, Hermione is a little nerd, and Snape is not Alan Rickman.

He was no longer Neville, the shy Gryffindor. Now he was the great Ovinomancer, Neville the Sheep Lord. - Food for Thought

Profile: PC.net | FF.net | FW

Jeram is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up