Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > Politics
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #4741
Spanks
Minister for Magic

This week is going to be glorious. They have to bury the email story so I imagine the Clinton campaign is going to dump every piece of dirt they have on Trump everyday until Nov 8.

I don't know about everyone else, but I can't wait for the HBO movie about this election!
Old 10-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #4742
Erotic Adventures of S
The Chosen One

I wonder if they can get Trump to play himself.

I'm waiting for the final Russian dump, they would likely be saving the best for last. Something to either enrage the republicans who are voting Hillary out of contempt for Trump. Or Sanders supporters who are reluctantly voting Clinton just to stop Trump.

Nothing. It will never come. Death before defeat. You can kill me, destroy my soul, destroy my magic, but you cannot defeat me. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. And you may destroy my magic, but not before I destroy everything of this world that I can…including your magic and soul. There is no defeat.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #4743
KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!
Order Member
Troll in the Dungeon

High Score: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erotic Adventures of S View Post
I wonder if they can get Trump to play himself.

I'm waiting for the final Russian dump, they would likely be saving the best for last. Something to either enrage the republicans who are voting Hillary out of contempt for Trump. Or Sanders supporters who are reluctantly voting Clinton just to stop Trump.
If it doesn't come out in the next two or three days, I seriously doubt they have anything legitimate or of real significance to leak. You need to allow time for the actual "scandals" to gain media traction that will penetrate to a majority of the electorate.

The last two weeks of October really are the ultimate time to hurl your biggest bombs.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #4744
Perspicacity
High Inquisitor
High Score: 3,994

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Revan View Post
Here's an amusing anecdote. This is the only article about real voter fraud I've seen so far this cycle, so I can confidently say, with an n-value of 1, that 100% of in-person voter fraud is being conducted by Donald Trump supporters.

Apparently some 55-year-old idiot in Iowa voted absentee and then voted in person for a second time, because she feared her absentee ballot would be changed to a vote for Clinton, so she had to make SURE she voted for Trump as much as she could. Because, she says, "the ballots are rigged."

/facepalm at my country.
While a bit silly, it's more disturbing than that. Trump's and his surrogates' language about the rigged elections incited a woman to commit a felony, in this case, voting multiple times.

Given their rhetoric about Second Amendment solutions, violent thugs stealing the election, people "in some places, you know where they are" voting "six, seven, ten times," and the vast web of purported conspiracies among favorite alt-right targets--the press, the Clintons, the banking cabals, the Obama government, the New Black Panther movement, BLM, ACORN, etc.--and given the Bundy gang's exoneration, violence in the aftermath of the election (stochastic terrorism or armed insurrection) seems a near certainty.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #4745
gorlosh
DA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
While a bit silly, it's more disturbing than that. Trump's and his surrogates' language about the rigged elections incited a woman to commit a felony, in this case, voting multiple times.

Given their rhetoric about Second Amendment solutions, violent thugs stealing the election, people "in some places, you know where they are" voting "six, seven, ten times," and the vast web of purported conspiracies among favorite alt-right targets--the press, the Clintons, the banking cabals, the Obama government, the New Black Panther movement, BLM, ACORN, etc.--and given the Bundy gang's exoneration, violence in the aftermath of the election (stochastic terrorism or armed insurrection) seems a near certainty.
That voter is also a crazy racist as evidenced by other articles about her.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #4746
Fiat
The Chosen One

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPress View Post
I feel like the best thing Donald Trump has given the world is the "pardon me" joke at the Al Smith dinner. That was absolutely hilarious, best joke of the campaign.
Bitch please. That wasn't even his best joke that night - the best one was definitely the "Michelle Obama makes a speech, everyone loves it, my wife makes the same speech..." joke. That was the closest thing to having a sense of humor I've seen from either candidate to date.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #4747
Aurion
Headmaster

There's some delicious political drama brewing up in a hurry about the emails, it looks like.

The FBI apparently knew about the stuff seized in the Weiner case weeks ago. The Democrats are going to try to pin Comey to the wall for both violating FBI policy and the Hatch Act both.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #4748
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurion View Post
There's some delicious political drama brewing up in a hurry about the emails, it looks like.

The FBI apparently knew about the stuff seized in the Weiner case weeks ago. The Democrats are going to try to pin Comey to the wall for both violating FBI policy and the Hatch Act both.
Career civil servants know a lot of things that aren't immediately briefed to their boss's boss's boss or whatever. If he says he was briefed about it last Wednesday or whenever it was, I take him at his word.

As for the rest, I'm not familiar with the Bureau's policies on this topic, but I know the DOJ generally refuses to take any actions that could influence an election unless it's totally unavoidable. As for the Hatch Act, as someone who has to follow it myself, unless you could prove he intended to use his official office to back a candidate, he didn't violate it. That much is just political hyperbole.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith

Last edited by Darth_Revan; 10-30-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Thumbs Up 3 thumbs up
Old 10-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #4749
Chengar Qordath
Auror
The Final Pony

High Score: 1,802
Quote:
Career civil servants know a lot of things that aren't immediately briefed to their boss's boss's boss or whatever. If he says he was briefed about it last Wednesday or whenever it was, I take him at his word.

As for the rest, I'm not familiar with the Bureau's policies on this topic, but I know the DOJ generally refuses to take any actions that could influence an election unless it's totally unavoidable. As for the Hatch Act, as someone who has to follow it myself, unless you could prove he intended to use his official office to back a candidate, he didn't violate it. That much is just political hyperbole.
If there's one thing this election cycle has shown pretty clearly, it's that nobody is going to let a few inconvenient facts get in the way of their political narrative.

My own work experience inclines me to give Comey the benefit of the doubt about not knowing things. People use phrases like "The FBI knew about this" as if the FBI was a single monolithic hive mind. Like you said, the boss doesn't know everything all their subordinates know, and it takes time for information to work its way up the chain of command.

Last month we lost a week of work because the maintenance guy forgot to tell his boss to tell my department head that some busted equipment had been fixed, so I can understand those sorts of things happening. After all, I work somewhere with far less complicated hierarchy and job expectations than the FBI.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #4750
Silens Cursor
The Chosen One
The Silencer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
If there's one thing this election cycle has shown pretty clearly, it's that nobody is going to let a few inconvenient facts get in the way of their political narrative.

My own work experience inclines me to give Comey the benefit of the doubt about not knowing things. People use phrases like "The FBI knew about this" as if the FBI was a single monolithic hive mind. Like you said, the boss doesn't know everything all their subordinates know, and it takes time for information to work its way up the chain of command.
Yeah, as much as I was originally inclined to give Comey the benefit of the doubt, when you see Harry Reid blow the last of his political capital in his public letter he sent to Comey recommending the Hatch Act push (and leak in that letter that while there had been recommendations to examine the Russian connections to Trump's campaign Comey had refused on the count of 'waiting until after the election), this looks flagrantly partisan, especially if he knows that simply leaking 'email Clinton' to the press will start a wave and drive down poll numbers and at the very least hurt turnout, even if there's nothing there (low information voters and all that). That lack of a consistent standard is probably enough evidence to push Hatch Act to a hearing, if not a conviction. And my bet is that if Clinton won, Comey wouldn't last long - the Clintons get rid of those who don't have loyalty, and flipping open Pandora's Box like this will not be forgotten. For Comey, this might be the hail mary.

In the mean time, the poll numbers are getting closer, that final opposition research dump hasn't happened yet against Trump, and early polls are suggesting that while Hispanic and white college aged voters are favouring Clinton, black voters are not to the same extent they were Obama. Good for her in Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and (maybe) Texas, not good in North Carolina, Georgia, or Florida. Hate to say it, but I've got a really bad feeling about this one.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #4751
Giovanni
The Fifth House
God of Scotch

If your map for Hillary relies on Georgia's 14 electoral votes then there's a real problem. Worry if you see her slip in CO and NH. That's the Trump Victory map.

Quote:
Xiph0 What then?

Xiph0 Everyone needs projects.

Giovanni No long term projects except the goal of acquiring more property so that I can die.
Thumbs Up 2 thumbs up
Old 10-31-2016, 07:22 PM   #4752
Silens Cursor
The Chosen One
The Silencer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
If your map for Hillary relies on Georgia's 14 electoral votes then there's a real problem. Worry if you see her slip in CO and NH. That's the Trump Victory map.
My map doesn't need Georgia, I'm just hoping to see it flip at some point in the next decade. And depressed downticket turnout in certain states pushes against the landslide Hillary and the Dems will need for consistent staying power and policy if they want to get through 2020 or even the 2018 midterms.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:03 PM   #4753
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silens Cursor View Post
Yeah, as much as I was originally inclined to give Comey the benefit of the doubt, when you see Harry Reid blow the last of his political capital in his public letter he sent to Comey recommending the Hatch Act push (and leak in that letter that while there had been recommendations to examine the Russian connections to Trump's campaign Comey had refused on the count of 'waiting until after the election), this looks flagrantly partisan, especially if he knows that simply leaking 'email Clinton' to the press will start a wave and drive down poll numbers and at the very least hurt turnout, even if there's nothing there (low information voters and all that). That lack of a consistent standard is probably enough evidence to push Hatch Act to a hearing, if not a conviction. And my bet is that if Clinton won, Comey wouldn't last long - the Clintons get rid of those who don't have loyalty, and flipping open Pandora's Box like this will not be forgotten. For Comey, this might be the hail mary.
Whoever politicizes federal law enforcement will get burned by it in the end. She would do well to stay away from it as much s possible, it's a third rail for her.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 10-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #4754
Big Z
Headmaster

A very interesting article just hit about more ties between Trump and Russia

Link

Quote:
Earlier this month, the group of computer scientists passed the logs to Paul Vixie. In the world of DNS experts, there’s no higher authority. Vixie wrote central strands of the DNS code that makes the internet work. After studying the logs, he concluded, “The parties were communicating in a secretive fashion. The operative word is secretive. This is more akin to what criminal syndicates do if they are putting together a project.” Put differently, the logs suggested that Trump and Alfa had configured something like a digital hotline connecting the two entities, shutting out the rest of the world, and designed to obscure its own existence. Over the summer, the scientists observed the communications trail from a distance.
Ideological purity, compromise as weakness, a fundamentalist belief in scriptural literalism, denying science, unmoved by facts, undeterred by new information, a hostile fear of progress, a demonization of education, a need to control women's bodies, severe xenophobia, tribal mentality, intolerance of dissent, pathological hatred of US government.

They can call themselves the Tea Party. They can call themselves conservatives. They can even call themselves Republicans, though Republicans certainly shouldn't. But we should call them what they are: The American Taliban.
Steamgifts: http://www.steamgifts.com/user/bigzgod/won

Last edited by Big Z; 10-31-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #4755
bob99
High Inquisitor

There are even rumors that Russia has been trying to cultivate Trump as an asset and has blackmail material on him. It seems pretty outlandish to me, and its not exactly solid. But David Corn wrote the article, he's the journalist who broke the story on Romney's 47% statement. So it might be credible. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...e-donald-trump

Last edited by bob99; 10-31-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #4756
calutron
Auror

I'm not sure mother jones is a trustworthy source.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #4757
Perspicacity
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
MJ is actually very good journalism, particularly deep investigative journalism, though they are a biased source, which colors somewhat the articles they choose to print and the stories they choose to pursue.

This is in contrast with the fucktard Washington Times, cited a page or so back.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:12 PM   #4758
kinetique
Groundskeeper

I wonder what the odds are that neither candidate is the one who will actually be running come election day, instead it's a Pence vs Kaine election.

Very low I suppose there is one week until the election, expanding that I wonder if the latest leaks and potential treasonous plots will result in people voting primarily for the running mate instead.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:27 PM   #4759
Giovanni
The Fifth House
God of Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silens Cursor View Post
My map doesn't need Georgia, I'm just hoping to see it flip at some point in the next decade. And depressed downticket turnout in certain states pushes against the landslide Hillary and the Dems will need for consistent staying power and policy if they want to get through 2020 or even the 2018 midterms.
It will flip on it's own in the next decade based on demographic trends and the coming partisan realignment in the US. There's not going to be a landslide down ticket. You're going to see this election play out the way the gubernatorial contest between Tom Wolf and Tom Corbett did in Pennsylvania in 2014. Upticket results wholly divorced from down ballot voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetique View Post
I wonder what the odds are that neither candidate is the one who will actually be running come election day, instead it's a Pence vs Kaine election.

Very low I suppose there is one week until the election, expanding that I wonder if the latest leaks and potential treasonous plots will result in people voting primarily for the running mate instead.
Change "very low" to zero. The ballots are already printed, we've had a month's worth of absentee/early vote in many states by this point. There isn't even enough time left to file the petition to replace in court, reprint, and resend ballots in all 50 states even if both parties were simultaneously or individually inclined to do so.

Quote:
Xiph0 What then?

Xiph0 Everyone needs projects.

Giovanni No long term projects except the goal of acquiring more property so that I can die.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:48 PM   #4760
gorlosh
DA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
It will flip on it's own in the next decade based on demographic trends and the coming partisan realignment in the US. There's not going to be a landslide down ticket. You're going to see this election play out the way the gubernatorial contest between Tom Wolf and Tom Corbett did in Pennsylvania in 2014. Upticket results wholly divorced from down ballot voting.
Interesting, I haven't heard this belief in a while.
Closed Thread